Computers!!!!!!!!!!!!

AudioMan2703

Well i reforatted my system and guess what?

It didn't fix my PowerDVD 4.0 problems!!

Its better and it doesn't completely lock up my system anymore but, i still have this one odd occurance. After i reformatted and stated playing godzilla in 4 speaker mode. I got through the movie until about 10 minutes before it ended, then it froze. Not the whole computer like before, just PowerDVD. It may be that the disk wasn't pefect(It was rented at a place with a reputation for scratches.)or maybe im still being screwed by PowerDVD, I don't know. So check back eventually. I'll probably get to watch a movie either today or tommarow.

CHECK BACK!!!

I forgot to mention, that it has something to do with resolution on my videocard. In 1024x768 it only gets about 30 seconds to 10 minutes into the movie, dependent on wether or not it decided to freeze. In 800x600 its much better but is still not a tottaly freeze free experience. Now in 640x480 it is so much better that you'd think it was fine, until it decided to freeze 10 minutes before the movie ended! Im clueless here. I have a Nvidia TNT 2 card and the original drivers from when i got the computer. I know your going to say that i need to update to a detonator driver but when i do it screws my machine over and half of my games don't work so i'll try updating but please try and suggest other constructive methods to fix this. Please...

------------------

~You laugh because im diffrent,i laugh because your ugly~

GreenDay Rules!

"Im a newbie at anything physical,but i can talk alot"-Me

"I don't know why i visit these boards,i don't even own the promedias."

"You will see more quotes by me"

"Like this one"

"Pushy little children, with their fully automatics, they like to push the weak around!"- System Of A Down

"Drink Redkabul, we get our water from other bottles of water, we can't make our own because our country is dirty and disgusting."- kid in my class

This message has been edited by AudioMan2703 on 02-21-2002 at 04:51 PM

When i reformatted my computer with WinXP Pro, my PowerDVD 4.0 XP gets jittery. I think my problem was because i did not have enough ram, 256mb. I recently bought another 256 and installed it and now it works great. Check out that

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

ProMedia 5.1 Placement Help s>

So 128 ram isn't enough? Are the PowerDVD 4.0 requirments that high?

I was thinking that maybe the soundcard is just going bad. I've been using it extensively for the last 2 1\2

years. Its a creative SbLive! Value so its not the greatest and latest soundcard. I hate creative SC's!

How can i tell if its the ram or if its the soundcard? I want to know so i don't get a new SC and have it be the ram that was the problem.

------------------

GreenDay Rules!

"Like this one"

"Pushy little children, with their fully automatics, they like to push the weak around!"- System Of A Down

"Drink Redkabul, we get our water from other bottles of water, we can't make our own because our country is dirty and disgusting."- kid in my class

"Its all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then its a scavenger hunt."

"Its not the pollution thats killing the oceans and trees, its the impurities in our air and water that are doing it." -Former gov't guy

Do you have another video card lying around that you could pop in? That would be the easiest way to troubleshoot in my opinion. If that turns out ok, and you had another sound card lying around, you could pop that in. I have no experience with PowerDVD 4.0. I am running 3.0 and it works fine. Good luck.

I really don't have any other Vc or Sc's around. Does anyone have the cinimaster 99 DVD player on their computer? I do. I can't seem to get surround sound out of that either, the downmix option to 4 speaker doesn't work in DVD genie. Does anyone know how to fix that? All i can get is Stereox2.(Front mirrored to back)

------------------

GreenDay Rules!

"Like this one"

"Its all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then its a scavenger hunt."

"Its not the pollution thats killing the oceans and trees, its the impurities in our air and water that are doing it." -Former gov't guy

Had the same problem and also decided to reformat with WIN XP PRO CORPORATE. Same problem still. I found out that the problem was my dvd player. Mine was just too sensitive for even the smallest scratch, and decided to lock up my pc whenever it met a scratch.

I didn't buy a new one still, because I'm planning to buy a new pc.

------------------

-------------------------

If the DUDE doesn't like it, it's not worth buying!

-------------------------

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure your DVD player in your PC is set to DMA mode. Also, I would recommend adding at least another 256mb of memory. I have Windows XP Pro Corp edition and am using an old Creative Labs 2x\DXr2 setup and it works flawless. However, I am not using the decoder card because Power DVD and Win DVD decode just fine.cwm11.gif

• 4 weeks later...

128 is the minium for WinXP

go to

www.pcpitstop.com and do a free test of your computer, see what it rates, what you can improve, and what is allready top notch. also has a WinXP checker, find out if everything is ready for XP, and it is free.

my computer got a 384, 590, 768, and 800 rating, (that is 4 different computers)

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>