5 speaker vs 7 speaker heritage system- observations

winchester21

Due to a recent amplifier component failure I went from 7 speakers to 5 speakers . I eliminated the Cornwall surrounds briefly and went to k horn fronts- lascala center and lascala rears and the sub .I listened for 3 weeks then went back to 7 speakers. I figured on and expected SOME difference. But nothing like this. Holy ----!!! Night and day. Maybe the room- maybe the components, But for whatever reason- what a difference- in every situation from regular HD Direct TV to bluray . Another example of just how good these Cornwalls perfom in a multitude of applications. Not to say that the 5 speaker setup did not sound good- perfectly acceptable- but the extra 2 Cornwalls puts the whole setup into overdrive. My 2 cents worth for anyone out there who is considering changes or expierments.

Semi -small room for this much stuff- 14 x 24.

How far do you sit from the wall behind you? I went from a 7-speaker setup with the sofa about half-way back in the room to a 5-speaker setup with the sofa only four feet from the back wall, which barely leaves room for rear speakers.

I also replaced 4 Paradigm Atoms with 2 Heresy IIs, so it wasn't exactly apples-to-apples. In my case, 5 was better than 7, but I'm curious to try 6, once I hook up one more Heresy II. I'm sure your system sounds great, BTW.

The listening chair is 14 feet from the front wall(comonents- k horns- center Lascala- sub) The rear wall is 9-10 feet behind the chair- Lascalas. The Cornwalls are in the center of the side walls placed back flush against the walls.There is a couch along one of the walls. Computer chair and desk 3 feet in front and in the center of the rear Lascalas. I built platforms/risers to raise the rears/center to the same horn height as the k horns(noticable improvement).There is a lot of bad stuff-gunsafes- bookshelfs-wine racks-desk-huge tool cabinet-end table cigar humidor-ect- that do not belong in a listening area. These are out of the firing path of the speakers-against the walls.The room has a 9 foot ceiling and heavy carpet on the floor. I have no place else to put all this junk(many other hobbies-guns -cars- wine- cigars)so this arrangements is mandatory.For whatever reason(Klipsch speakers are the prime suspect) the whole mess sounds better than several purpose built listening rooms in large houses of my friends.

Dont get me wrong- the 5 speaker setup sounded great and would thrill any sane normal person. I was ready to move the Cornwalls to another room and eliminate one of the outboard amps if the 5 speaker setup sounded as good/better tha the 7 speaker setup. Not going to happen. The 5 sp setup sounded "conventional" as one would expect from a high end 5 sp setup from the midle and rear of the room in movie tracks that is apparent in every position in the room. You know -the door slamming- the birds chirping in the background- the helicopter landing- the shotgun blast from behind that makes you jump out of your chair-much more pronounced with 7 than 5 in this particular setup.No comparison on music videos.Program material? Does not sem to matter. Pretty much across the board.

6 sounds like a great idea- would try that ASAP.may be just the ticket

Actually, having a fair bit of stuff in the room can be a good thing, as long as none of the items are between the speakers and the listening position. This is most important in the case of the front and centre speakers, of course. Large flat surfaces can cause reflection problems, but the items in the room will tend to diffuse the reflections, minimizing the potential problems.

You may have noticed that big concert halls have lots of details like boxes and balconies and stepped sidewalls and ceilings. It's not just to maximize the numbers of seats, it improves the sound.

I too notice a big difference dropping from 7 to 5 speakers. It requires more volume on the A/V pre/pro to get to the same levels and the intensity of the effects in the rear is diminished considerably. I run 7 all the time no matter the source or content, my pre can upramp any DD or DTS to DD-EX or DTS-ES so why not take advantage by having speakers in those positions.

I run a Sherbourn 7 channel true monoblock amp feeding them 200W x 7 it's a monster at 120lbs

Having four Cornwalls in the rear with Klipschorn's, a La Scala and a pair of Velodyne HGS-15's up front = slam factor!

WOW---- What a system--- 4 Cornies- KH LS and the rest... I can only imagine .. I bet it sounds great- Nothing beats heritage and a ton of power!!! I did pertty much exactly the same thing. When I hooked mine up for the first time with all the stuff in place it was like.. NOW I GET IT!!!!!!!!!!

The funny part is when you hear a high buck -non klipschHT system -for a ton more money.. make polite comments.. and laugh all the way home. It ain't rocket science... just Klipsch.