PS3 - playing cd's

DU73

Indeed... my 806 does to, but if your pinching off quality at the playback machine, then that resolution will be wasted correct?

I have never seen in depth technical data on ps3's audio capabilities... even though mine falls into that catagory where it CAN play sacd and dvda when many of the ps3's can not, that's why I wanted to try some other playback machines that were not to cost prohibative

Sorry for the ultimate in noob Qs: can somebody explain exactly what the CD player / DVD / etc output diffs are between using:

1. HDMI vs SPDIF (optical or coax digital)? I think they are supposed to be much "better" then RCA L and R out.

2. For digital output settings: diffs between bitstream and PCM, etc, and all of the different sampling rate frequencies. How do you know which settings are "best" and is there really that much of a diff between diff settings?

I too have a PS3 and an Onkyo 805, bedroom and Oppo dvd and outlaw audio (non HDMI) 990 pre/pro in the main room.

thx :)

I'm hdmi into an 805 with my ps3,that has to be the worst cd audio I've ever heard.The ps3 is no audio machine,the longer I have it,the less I like it.My lowly oppo 970 just puts it to shame for music.I have a Technics a-10 dvd-audio,about 10 years old that puts em' both down for cd.

Funny... Mine is great, and has the ability to deliver uncpressed MULTICHANNEL audio over an HDMI connection. certainly all PS3's are NOT the same, there are several generations and capabilities that are not shared

I bought my 80GB PS3 5-6 months ago. It offers tons of choices for digital output and I do not know how the PS3 decides which to send out, since I basically highlighted almost all of them. Sound seems fine vs my JVC combo DVD/VHS deck or Sony BD-301 in my bedroom rig (never tried a dedicated high end CD playerr in my WF-34 bedroom rig, as I do not own a high end CD player-and given various specs, I strongly ponder if anyone could really tell any sign diffs-esp considering costs $$-on my rig).

When I tried googling my Qs, I did not find any concise matter of fact replies (beyond: use HDMI if possble to pass thru the latest Dolby and DTS audio offerings-for which, I think, there are very few recordings available at ths time; optical or coax digital are the same but both have less bandwidth than HDMI-only appears to be an issue with newest Dolby and DTS lossless offerings, and use L/R RCA analog outputs dead last-but without stating scientific reason). Many of the postings were contradictory. I do not own any SACDs, etc. Perhaps if I did, as some have noted on various forums, the diffs might be notable.

The lack of clarity and science in many of the internet postings lead me to seek clarity here, as some of our members are both audio and technofiles.

The numerous contradictory postings also makes me wonder if this isn't a case of the Emporers New Clothes. Perhaps, many of these digital choices are so good that average rigs might not be able to discern real world diffs. I tend to find greater diffs when choosing a DSP mode on any of various pre/pros (Outlaw Audio 990-no HDMI), or receivers (OA 1050, Onkyo 805-outperforms the much older OA1050), than when separating out anything much over 44kbps.

Due to loss of the bedroom cable box post Katrina, I only have basic cable directly to my 2008 Sony 55" rear projection tv. I can output audio from the tv to the 805 via optical cable. The 805 can decode dolby 2.0 and 5.1 from digital tv channels (and plays them as such-unless I specifically override the settings-and no idea how I came to set up the settings), but for non digital channels, the output sound registers on the Onkyo 805 as PCM 44. When comparing network stations in analog vs digital, I think the sound is better off the digital-but then again, maybe the 805 can mess around with the digital signal better.

Very valid points... Perception can be reality if one has nothing to compare it.

Below is the PS3 break down on major capabilities. As stated, some say they can not play sacds... I can as well as dvda and hdad hdcd etc etc. I am sure that the dacs must be different in these ps3 unit generations.

3575760247_37de0372e1_b.jpg

As I had mentioned above, I am not willing to accept ps3 as gospel given the fact that there is little conrete audio specifications on the different generational units... so buying a better end 24/192 player is in my immediate future and only then will I be able to A/B the two