Image X5 driver protection

videoCWK

Greetings, all! I'm looking to upgrade to a new pair of headphones. Right now I'm torn between the Image X5 and the Future Sonics Atrio. Both look like very promising pairs, and at this point in time I'm liking the Images more.

What I've read in reviews would make it seem as though the Atrios would have better sound, but the Images, by my understanding, top the Atrios in a few crucial fields that'd make sacrificing a little sound quality OK (fit, comfort, build quality, size, etc). What I need to know now though is if there's anything protecting the driver from lint/ear gunk that may get in there. My current pair (V-Moda Vibes) have a metal mesh that protects the driver, and I do have to clean it every few weeks. I'm almost certain that the Atrios have nothing protecting the driver, and since whatever pair I get will spend a lot of time being jostled about in a pocket, that lack of protection simply won't do. Since I can't find the info out anywhere else, I've turned to you guys. Is there anything protecting the driver from debris that may get in there?

And while I'm here, how good a job do they do of holding onto the ear tips? I've had a few ear tips make a break for it when exiting my pocket, and one time I even lost one while raking when the rake pulled the headphones from my ears and the tip fell into a pile of leaves.

Also while I'm here, how are microphonics on this pair? My current pair is pretty vulnerable to it, which can get irritating after some time. The Atrios seem to do a pretty good job of coping with microphonics, but for the X5s some reviews have said it's not too bad while others have made bigger deals of it. Though since I can't talk back to reviews I'd like to hear from a few owners.

Nice to see you posting here Chris...

I have never heard of the other brand you mentioned until just now. Having tried the Image line and owning the Custom-3s, I'll do my best to answer some of your questions...

I don't believe that there is anything covering the tip that leads to the driver, at least not that I can see as I glance at my pair. Typically any waxy build up I get accumulates on the tips themselves which can be easily cleaned off using the handy-dandy included cleaning tool. If the good Professor Thump notices this thread perhaps he will chime in, as he was the one who helped engineer these headphones.

As far as having them jostling about in your pocket, I always always always keep mine in their also handy-dandy included carrying case, for added safety.

I usually don't tend to notice the microphonics on my pair, and can only really hear the wires dangling when there is nothing playing in them. Any time something is playing the sound is so completely immersive that it's hard to notice anything else.

I highly doubt you'll be dissapointed with the Klipsch headphone line... Take a look at the Custom-3s while you're at it. I can't speak highly enough of them. The sound quality is just totally awesome.

The X5 has an excellent tip holding ring, I saw a pair when Thump was hanging out the other day. He wears his ALL the time now! I think it's much deeper than the ring on my Image IEM.

In my experience, any slight amount of ear dirt that enters the headset is accumulated in the easy-to-clean ear tip which has quite a bit of length before the metal tube is reached. I don't think getting debris into the headphone itself should be much of an issue with an above average degree of aural hygiene.

M

Greetings, all! I'm looking to upgrade to a new pair of headphones. Right now I'm torn between the Image X5 and the Future Sonics Atrio. Both look like very promising pairs, and at this point in time I'm liking the Images more.
What I've read in reviews would make it seem as though the Atrios would have better sound, but the Images, by my understanding, top the Atrios in a few crucial fields that'd make sacrificing a little sound quality OK (fit, comfort, build quality, size, etc). What I need to know now though is if there's anything protecting the driver from lint/ear gunk that may get in there. My current pair (V-Moda Vibes) have a metal mesh that protects the driver, and I do have to clean it every few weeks. I'm almost certain that the Atrios have nothing protecting the driver, and since whatever pair I get will spend a lot of time being jostled about in a pocket, that lack of protection simply won't do. Since I can't find the info out anywhere else, I've turned to you guys. Is there anything protecting the driver from debris that may get in there?
And while I'm here, how good a job do they do of holding onto the ear tips? I've had a few ear tips make a break for it when exiting my pocket, and one time I even lost one while raking when the rake pulled the headphones from my ears and the tip fell into a pile of leaves.
Also while I'm here, how are microphonics on this pair? My current pair is pretty vulnerable to it, which can get irritating after some time. The Atrios seem to do a pretty good job of coping with microphonics, but for the X5s some reviews have said it's not too bad while others have made bigger deals of it. Though since I can't talk back to reviews I'd like to hear from a few owners.

Hi CWK,

Thanks for your questions...

Sound - As far as sound goes, I would put the X5 up against anything in its price point. Some people have already and the product does well at defending the intended Klipsch Sound Signature that we have crafted. Give ours a try. If you don't like them you can return them. That is how confident I am that you will like them.

Protection - All of our headphone designs have grills or screens protecting the driver. That being said, some people create more earwax than others which can be a concern if they are not regularly inspecting the headphone to make sure they are not clogging the acoustic exit to your ear. So inspect often and use the cleaning tool provided with our X5's.

Ear Tip Retention - All of our eartips and nozzles have the same dimensions for retaining the eartip to the chassis. They can come off of course, but if they are placed on the nozzle and then given a quick rotation the ring will help to keep the ear tip in place.

Microphonics - Any IE headphone that is not over the ear will tend to have more microphonics. This is because there is no dampner between the mechanical vibration and your ear canal. When you use a over the ear cable design and you cinch the cable to the back of your head your hair will peel off the layers of energy as the wave transmits down the cable, thus minimizing the vibration that you might hear.

I walk everyday with my X10 images. I use my shoulder back to act as a clip to hold the cable against my chest. This pretty much eliminates 99% of the microphonics for me. If I leave the cable dangling down to my ipod, which I keep in my pants pocket, then yes, I do get a fair amount of microphonics as the cord keeps bouncing off my body. I've got a little clip to attach to my shirt for when I don't have the back and walking, plus if your doing any sort of activity, it makes it less likely for the cord to get snagged on something. I've have mine for a good long time, and they have taken some 'abuse' in the subway here in NYC during rush hour. The eargel seems to always stay attached when the headphones get yanked out by someone turning with a backpack on or something. No gels lost yet. *knocks on wood*

Sound - As far as sound goes, I would put the X5 up against anything in its price point. Some people have already and the product does well at defending the intended Klipsch Sound Signature that we have crafted. Give ours a try. If you don't like them you can return them. That is how confident I am that you will like them.

And higher price points. I think it actually sounds better than the Image X10. I think Professor Thump likes the sound of the Image X5 better than the Image X10 and Professor Thump LOVES BASS.

Ear Tip Retention - All of our eartips and nozzles have the same dimensions for retaining the eartip to the chassis. They can come off of course, but if they are placed on the nozzle and then given a quick rotation the ring will help to keep the ear tip in place.

I've owned a set of Custom 2 since they've been on the market and a set of Image X10 since December and have not had a problem with an ear gel slipping off during normal use.... though there was an incident at the Klipsch Pilgrimage in 2008 when I got in a hurry switching from the X5 to the X10 and didn't get the ear gel locked on that ended with PT graciously fishing it out of my ear canal... Our daughter was with and I had to practically pry the Image X10 away from her as the body of the Image X5 are too big (or so she says) for her tiny ear canals.

Microphonics - Any IE headphone that is not over the ear will tend to have more microphonics. This is because there is no dampner between the mechanical vibration and your ear canal. When you use a over the ear cable design and you cinch the cable to the back of your head your hair will peel off the layers of energy as the wave transmits down the cable, thus minimizing the vibration that you might hear.

The cinching at the back of the head helps a lot with a stick it in model such as the Image X10 and I'm sure would help as much with the X5 or new S4 and S2.

Further advice with any in ear monitor is to keep those nozzles clean. Just a liitle flake of dried ear wax or lotion can cause an annoying raspiness to the sound. Set your options to view all threads instead of the most recent 2 months for more threads on sound and cleaning tips of the Custom and Image models.

I really don't think one can go wrong with any of the Klipsch IEMs. And have we mentioned that for most people they are more comfortable due to ear gels that are shaped like one's ear canals?

The Legendary Sound of Klipsch that fits in your ear. How cool is that? [8][8][H][8][8]

(ok, that should be The Ultimate Sound Experience)