interconnects ?

jess28

it's me again with yet another question .i have decided to purchase the adcom 555 along with the 5006 to bridge for my center and rears and will let the onkyo to do the seldom used b.s..I know not a perfecxt set up but a budget one, untill i have the money to get a little more serious with my equip. i went through alot of money finding the right set of speakers for me but i got them now.So i need to know if what are a good set of interconnects again i know so much of this is opinion but thats what im looking for.I like clarity but i think i have enough of that between my speakers rf 82 with matching center 62 and surr 52 so is there a pair of interconnects that may add a little warmth or do they not affect that sort of thing.the internet is really my only choice because of schedule and all local stores pretty much only carry monster which i try to avoid not because i think they are bad just over priced and make claims that just aren't true at least with there hdmi cables dont know about the audio side of things.If there is anyone out there who can give me some ideas thanks

Monster products in general pretty much suck. I have many -unfortunately. Did not know any better. I suggest you check out Blue jean cable on the net. Also audioholics. You should be able to find what you need for now and not have to upgrade later, Blue jean in particular has good information on cable basics.They will answer the phone and talk to you as well. Rare these days.

I don't know if I necessarily buy into the whole idea of "warm sounding" cables - but I like well made, neat cables that don't cost me a years salary, that aren't Monster anything...for this reason, I have quite a few BlueJean Cables

You can buy the raw wire and make your own, or have them prepare the cables, the shipping is fast and the cables are no-nonsense, and built to last. They have good reasonable explanations for their recommendations, and many choices of combinations.

If you want to compare prices with another on-line making, try Cobalt cables, you will see what I mean; I own a pair of these too - good cables but I am not sure they are anybetter than BJ cables - and they can be pricey (in my cheapskate terms).

B

EDIT - WIN21, you read my mind brother!

thanks guy's i wasn't sure if i was going to get some back lash by monster lovers i sold hd tv for awhile at p.c richards a relatively well known store in my area and found quickly some people dont like when you say they special cable are just a gimmick and you they sell the same hdmi 1.3b cable at about 4 different price saying one is only good for 60hz and this good for 120hz not to mention the whole 120 hz is done within the tv and your not actually getting a 120hz signal you can get the same quality elsewhere and by companies who had something to do with the creation of these cables anyway.I will deff check those sites out thank a bunch

If you want to take this a step further you can even search out a dist for Belden cable locally. Find a couple of buddies to go thirds and buy a 1000 ft roll- a tool and the ends. I think a 1000 ft roll - interconect- is about 600-700. The same with 12 ga speaker wire- 200-300 for a 1000 ft roll. Pretend to be an installer or contractor. You may be able to get jobber pricing on a cash sale. Belden is pretty much top of the line stuff. This is the cable used by Blue Jean. I like the HDMI cable at Audioholics. It is big heavy coated stuff which works great for pulling wires inside of walls for wall mounted plasmas or LCDs. For about 35 bucks you can get better that what monster charges several times more. Each cable is individually tested and certified.Function explanied very well on the website and prices are very fair. There is some real garbage out there at the box stores for HDMI cables. Stuff that falls apart and such. I am systematicaly doing away with all of the monster stuff in my system. I have had expensive interconnect Monster literally fall apart when unplugged. Cut a piece of monster speaker wire in 1/2. you will see a tiny bit of twisted copper and a big thick layer of plastic coating. High priced rip-off. Not many Monster lovers here.

I went to the blue jean website, was looking at their speaker wire and connections. Has anybody around here used the spade connections on older Heritage speaker connections, always seem to have troubles finding something that fits in there. Any suggestions.

thanks

nick

hope I didn't hijack this thread.

Has anybody around here used the spade connections on older Heritage speaker connections, always seem to have troubles finding something that fits in there

Take a look at Parts Express. They have the ring connections, I picked some up and have been happy with them. I have 1 pair of Heresy and 2 pairs of Cornwalls with all the same ring connections.

James

AND (though I know this will not be terribly popular) - check out the spade/banana connectors on PartExpress. That is a spade ended dongle that you can scrw down to your crossover block, that has a femal banana receiver end that you can slip banana plugs into. I personally dig locking bananas and I think that with the locking variety, you will get all the mechanical connection you nee, and they are great for swapping cable runs if you move the speakers around a lot (like me).

I was lucky enough to anticipate the increase in the cost of copper speaker cable and bought a pretty big roll of Canare Starquad and Belden 12 gauge from Blue Jeans back when it was pretty cheap per foot. I have since turned that stuff into all kinds and lengths of cabling, with all sorts of ends on them - they are very nice; it looks like boondoggle at camp in my shop sometimes with all of the braided rolls I have lying around - the grey casing isn't pretty, but they sound good enough for me.

B

Oh and I think all of us at one point or another have been suckered by Monster or some product or another, just part of the curve man - this is why the forum is cool, you can ask before you plunge, and there are guys here that have forgotten more about this stuff than I have ever known. ;)