Speakerlab K'horns worth bothering with?

jtnfoley

The remains of that crossover... Both small air chokes are broken free from the board. The board was cheap melamine or pressboard and the parts wereglued down. I think everything is still connected so I may try to light them up again.

Man, that must have been one rough ride!

Small trailer behind a VW Jetta TDI (even while towing, I break 40MPG [:D] )
It was one of those "Rise, Dip, Rise like a speedbump" half finished road constructions that has made Massachusetts famous. I'm so glad I pay MORE THAN NINE HUNDRED THOUSANDDOLLARS PER ROAD MILE for roads like this!

I saw it, but too late... While trying fast to get slow, the trailer came right off the ground and the speakers parted company with the trailer. I could see nothing but (badly) finished oak floating in my rearview mirror for what seemed like an eternity. When gravity took over I thought I was going to jackknife.

Looks like the EV ST350B can be crossed as low as 3000... With equalization, it looks pretty flat from 3200ish up to north of 16kHz. The 4500 of the A4500 might be a touch too high... I think I'll be looking up horn response for the K350S next.

I've got one running a ST350/A4500 combo, and the other ST350B with an antique AA, both lacking the recommended 'extra' EQ circuit in the ST350B manual... I also tried WA4000/AA and WA4000/A4500.

The hot setup is definately A4500 driving ST350B, tho I am going to build the extra EQ as the 350s sound a little too hot at the bottom of their range.(Trying to avoid an L-PAD if at all possible.)

Got both up to A4500/ST350B, and the highs were a little harsh (pre-conceived notion, perhaps...)

I built the filters listed in the docs and added them to the A4500 boards (no glue or fasteners... I don't own these yet!) and the harshness fell out. Overall they are sounding pretty sweet.

I'll probably build better filters: Currently they each comprise of two 15ohm 10W flameproof resistors in parallel, two mylar film caps (a 2.2 and an 0.47) also in parallel, and air core chokes I pulled from the Speakerlab crossovers (minus a measured 11 feet of magnet wire, which brought them to just about exactly .18mH.) Once upon a time, Boston was the technologists center of the universe... Now even You Do It Electronics has to order out, and the staff has to consult the Ohms Law cheatsheet. [:^)]

All LCR values verified with a good quality portable LCR meter courtesy of my offices' electronics lab.

S.E. Massachusetts to Mechanicsburg, PA towing a VERY heavy-duty 5x8 steel utility trailer (600+ lbs) via the Low Road (NYC,) then back carrying 400 more pounds of industrial RP TV via the high road (Blue Ridge and Poconos) and I averaged a measured 35 MPG. [:P]