How bout them digital receivers? Onkyo a-9555?

MikeSt

I've been reading a lot about these lately but don't know which to get. Panasonic SA-X25, Sony str-da5000es, and now I've just heard about the Onkyo a-9555 which is supposed to be better than the others.

Sounds to me like great sound quality for the price but I haven't heard one yet. Sometimes there's negatives though like them being not musical, not enough power, harsh mids and highs with rock, etc. But more often people seem to be blown away by the clean, dynamic tube-like sound.

One thing I'm concerned about is if they make bad recordings sound really bad. I hate that aspect in amps. Right now I'm using a cheap Yamaha Best Buy receiver that sounds decent, but at least I can listen to all my recordings.

I've had a few as well as digital amps (the Teac's). All have been outstanding with Horns. Oddly enough, I have the Panasonic SA XR25 and had a Sony STR DA 5000 in the past.

If you are looking right now, I will sell you my SA XR25 for $100 plus shipping. It is just sitting on a shelf unused. Drop me an email.

I've had a few as well as digital amps (the Teac's). All have been outstanding with Horns. Oddly enough, I have the Panasonic SA XR25 and had a Sony STR DA 5000 in the past.

If you are looking right now, I will sell you my SA XR25 for $100 plus shipping. It is just sitting on a shelf unused. Drop me an email.

Thanks I defintely would have bought it from you but I just ordered the Onkyo A-9555, the deal was pretty good so I decided not to let it pass me by. It'll be here in a few days so I'll let you know how it sounds. What drew me to it was that it's digital like the Panasonic but has a big transformer. I don't see how you could get much bass without one.

Looks like a nice unit. It should drive the Klipsch with ease. As far as the transformer, these amps are 85% efficient so much smaller transformers can be used than Class A or AB. It seems funny to have a two prong power cord and a chassis that feels like it is empty, but when you plug them in an dhook them up they sound very nice. Yours is rated at 200 wpc into 4 ohms so it does have some power. If these sound anything like what I have heard, you will be very happy. They mate very well with horns.

Write a review after you get it.

I am a devotee of the digital amp. I've a Panny and an Kenwood and find either of them superior to any SS and equal to most tube amps. All I can say is they are totally accurate and never "clinical" and fatigueing. Add cheap, small, and cool and that means hard to beat. As mentioned, they drive our kinds of speakers effortlessly to dangerous levels. I've run out of ability to tolerate the volume before running out of power driving a pair of 'horns, center Cornwall, and rear Frazier Mark IV's.

As to sonic differences, my first thought is there should be none. However, my first impression of the Kenwood was that it sounded slightly better than the Panny. More than just a little odd since they are the same chip set. Later, I read that Kenwood made a few mods and claimed better sound.

Problem is what defines "better." I cannot for the life of me tell you what the difference is between the Panny and the Kenwood. However, there is something there. The Panny is still totally satisfying and non-fatiguing and not going anywhere...but the Kenwood sounds just a bit "better."

Sheesh, might as well stop. I am getting nowhere fast.

Looking forward to your thoughts...

Dave

I might be interested in that. Do you have any photos of the unit?

Looking about recievers is like listening about paintings....[:P]

Dave

You'll like the Onkyo A9555. Mine sounded great driving LS2's. Now it sounds great driving a pair of Polk LSi9's.

So far it sounds pretty good. Sounds like modern SS but not too harsh, good bass. Much more detailed than my HK730. It may be too soon to tell, but it doesn't seem to discriminate too much with bad to average recordings. That's one of the things I didn't like about the HK. I can't tell a whole lot right now though because my ears are stopped up from an infection. I couldn't have come at a worse time.

Did you have to turn the volume knob up a lot for it to be loud? I'm sursprised it does that with my Heresy's, on my HK you turn it up a little and it's already loud. I hope nothings wrong with it.

• 1 month later...

You'll like the Onkyo A9555. Mine sounded great driving LS2's. Now it sounds great driving a pair of Polk LSi9's.

Just curious, how do those Polk sound with it? I'm going to be moving into an apartment and will probably have to leave behind my big bassy Klipsch speakers.

With the La Scala II's, I seldom turned the Onkyos' volume knob past about 9:30. With the Polk's, I would occasionally hit about 10:30. Now, I've got Energy RC-50's that I got a super good deal on from Vanns.com. They are just a wee bit more sensitive than the Polks, but I still hit about 10:30 on the volume when I'm crankin' pretty good.

I was not too crazy about the Polk LSi9's. I liked then a lot at first, but with too many recordings they just had no high frequency air. I guess I prefer a fairly stout tweeter, like horns or metal domes... but they are a very well-made little speaker; super solid with high quality drivers. just not my particular cup of tea. The LSi9's are for sale, if you're interested...

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder what different speakers like your RC-50 would sound like with the onkyo. Right now I'm using 4 speakers, Heresys and KG4s. I like the fullness but a higher volumes I have to turn the treble down quite a bit because of harshness, which seems to lose a lot of the music imo. Also I wonder how the KLF-20s would sound, I wish I hadn't sold them years ago.