In need of some RF-7's

MistaChy

Howdy peoples, new guy here. I am upgrading my system and the RF-83's look nice, but I'm a fan of bigger speakers. The RF-7's are more my style. Can anyone tell me where I can get RF-7's? I live in houston.

If I couldn't get RF-7's easy enough, I was thinking instead of 2 RF-83's, maybe I could just go with 4 RF-82's or 4 old school F-3's.

Also, what receiver do you guys think I should buy to push them? I was considering the Yamaha RX-V3900, but I didnt know if I should wait and get a 7.2 surround sound system instead.

your thoughts?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the Forum.

I'm not sure what you mean by bigger. Size wise the RF 83 are bigger, sound wise it is a matter of opinion.

Klipsch does not make the RF 7 anymore, your best bet to find a set is Ebay, audiogon and Graig'slist. They don't come up to often but you might get lucky

I think the first question you need to ask yourself is what do you want to do with your system?

Why would you want 4 RF 82 or F-3 instead of the 7 or 83?? What are you trying to do? I hope you are not thinking of having 2 RF 82 or F-3 side by side to equal a RF 7 or RF 83.

These speakers are not bad at all but they are not in the same league.

If you are planing on using the system for HT and movies; towers all around is unnecessary, there are surround speakers which will do a much better job.

If music listening is your plan than by all means go for it.

The Yamaha receiver should work just fine.

Welcome to the Forum, MistaChy.

I run the HT listed below and I prefer my RF-3 side surround towers to the RS-7 and RB-75s for both movies and music. Fwiw, I agree that getting either RF-83s or RF-7s for surrounds would be overkill and probably wouldn't add much in a cost analysis. That being said, I would get a beefier AVR or go separates with a Klipsch all tower Reference HT.

Welcome to the Forum.

I'm not sure what you mean by bigger. Size wise the RF 83 are bigger, sound wise it is a matter of opinion.

Klipsch does not make the RF 7 anymore, your best bet to find a set is Ebay, audiogon and Graig'slist. They don't come up to often but you might get lucky

I think the first question you need to ask yourself is what do you want to do with your system?

Why would you want 4 RF 82 or F-3 instead of the 7 or 83?? What are you trying to do? I hope you are not thinking of having 2 RF 82 or F-3 side by side to equal a RF 7 or RF 83.

These speakers are not bad at all but they are not in the same league.

If you are planing on using the system for HT and movies; towers all around is unnecessary, there are surround speakers which will do a much better job.

If music listening is your plan than by all means go for it.

The Yamaha receiver should work just fine.

Thanks for the friendly welcome. What does HT mean? Home Theatre?

What do I want with my system?

• With me it will be a combination of movies and music. I need a marriage made in heaven, a system that does well with movies and music.
  • First of all I like loudness, and KILLER BASS... and heavy punch. I want to beat down the block and knock pictures off the walls. The first item that I've purchased from Klipsch is the RC-62...
  • The next thing i'm going to purchase is that yamaha RX-V3900, unless somebody recommends different.
  • The next thing after that on my list is Fronts... preferably 4 large front speakers. Im not to crazy about spending 4 g's on 4 RF-83's which is why I thought of buying 4 RF-82's...
  • The sub I will buy is the RW-12d

I hope you are not thinking of having 2 RF 82 or F-3 side by side to equal a RF 7 or RF 83.

• Actually, I was concidering that.... [*-)] and actually have 4 RF-82's try to equal the RF-7 or RF-83
  • you must forgive me, I'm a newb... and in need of much direction.

Question: Will 4 RF-82's compete with the 2 RF-83's?? And what do you mean the surrounds will do a better job? What surrounds?

Also, i need help choosing a good surround set up. Point me in the right direction please??

Welcome to the Forum, MistaChy.

I run the HT listed below and I prefer my RF-3 side surround towers to the RS-7 and RB-75s for both movies and music. Fwiw, I agree that getting either RF-83s or RF-7s for surrounds would be overkill and probably wouldn't add much in a cost analysis. That being said, I would get a beefier AVR or go separates with a Klipsch all tower Reference HT.

Wdo you mean by having RF-83's as surround would be over kill? what do you mean by as surrounds? And what do you mean by beefier? Is that yamaha not good enough to handle RF-83's?

And arent the RF-82's better to have than the RF-3's??

What is an AVR?

TKDA: Audio Video Receiver.

and what do you mean having RF-83's as surround would be over kill?

TKDA: They would work well but wouldn't be worth 3 times the cost of other speakers to use as Surround Speakers.

what do you mean as surrounds?

TKDA: Side Surround speakers in a 7.1 configuration or rear speakers in a 5.1 config.

And what do you mean by beefier? Is that yamaha not good enough to handle RF-83's?

TKDA: More current is required to drive Klipsch's larger tower speakers and lower end AVRs can't deliver it.

TKDA: They are similar especially being used as Side Surrounds.

Thanks for the friendly welcome. What does HT mean? Home Theatre?

Yes HT means Home theater, sorry about that.

What do I want with my system?

• With me it will be a combination of movies and music. I need a marriage made in heaven, a system that does well with movies and music.
  • First of all I like loudness, and KILLER BASS... and heavy punch. I want to beat down the block and knock pictures off the walls. The first item that I've purchased from Klipsch is the RC-62...
  • The next thing i'm going to purchase is that yamaha RX-V3900, unless somebody recommends different.
  • The next thing after that on my list is Fronts... preferably 4 large front speakers. Im not to crazy about spending 4 g's on 4 RF-83's which is why I thought of buying 4 RF-82's...
  • The sub I will buy is the RW-12d
  • There is no such thing as a perfect world, the only solution would be to have 2 set of speakers in the back like TDK has:

towers for music

Wide dispersion type speakers for movies

and use a switchable separate amplification system for it

• The RF 7 are known for there Bass
  • I agree with TDK, the RVX 3900 will not keep up if you go towers all around.
  • I don't think you want to do that. It just does not work that way, 4 RF 82 will not equal 2 RF 83.
  • The RW 12 D should complement the RF 7 and RF 83 very well

Also, i need help choosing a good surround set up. Point me in the right direction please??

For some reasons I assumed that you wanted to use towers all around.( 2 for the main front speakers and 2 for the surround speakers) not all 4 in the front.

I would suggest that you only get 2 front towers( RF 7 or RF 83). Having 4 front towers will not work for multiple reasons. Beside the WOW factor you will not achieve anything.

For the surrounds the RS 7 or the RS 62 are made for those towers

And what do you mean by beefier? Is that yamaha not good enough to handle RF-83's?

TKDA: More current is required to drive Klipsch's larger tower speakers and lower end AVRs can't deliver it.

TKDA: They are similar especially being used as Side Surrounds.

but also, i want to be able to deliver a hug punch, and not just in movies. i want the vibrations to rumble through my body, so i would want the best fronts and the best sub i can get without spending 10,000 dollars

For some reasons I assumed that you wanted to use towers all around.( 2 for the main front speakers and 2 for the surround speakers) not all 4 in the front.

I would suggest that you only get 2 front towers( RF 7 or RF 83). Having 4 front towers will not work for multiple reasons. Beside the WOW factor you will not achieve anything.

For the surrounds the RS 7 or the RS 62 are made for those towers

Yea but I though A and B were supposed to be big fronts... most systems ive used always had options to connect up to 4 huge fronts???? Dont most systems have A & B front inputs?

please make sense of that for me?

I would suggest reading some Introductory material to home theater and here is Klipsch version: http://www.klipsch.com/how-to-buy-audio/details/bringing-the-cinema-experience-home-how-to-build-a-5-1-surround-sound-system.aspx

Fwiw, if you want the "vibrations to rumble through your body," that is the job of the Subwoofer and you can accomplish that without having Towers all of the way around.

Good Luck on your journey. :-)

Okay so heres the deal. Since the Yamaha cannot compete with power, I need some suggestions on a very good receiver that will... that comes with HD radio, XM, Sirius hook ups... ALL THE BELLS AND WISTLES.

Now again, I want to beat down the block... so for music... if I have A and B front inputs, Im probably gonna want RF-83's on each so that when I want, I can switch to 2ch Stereo and beat down the house, but when it comes to watching a movie, I would want those fronts to work well in the surround set up. Im only discussing front speakers here. Lets see if this is a good idea before I discuss the rest of the setup up. Is there something wrong with having 4- RF-83's if i have 4 front channel inputs? will a movie not sound good with those large speakers on the front? Now remember, my understanding is that most AVR's come with A and B front inputs.

Dont most systems have A & B front inputs?

Not anymore. Those were to use for stereo in two different rooms and not the same room.

Okay, then that throws me allllll off. Lets start over. I need to decide on a receiver before i make any other decisions. Whats a good receiver with all the bells and whistles that will work well with the rf-83's and much more

Ive heard denan is really good but what about Integra?? http://www.wwstereo.com/#/ecommerce/store/Audio/11/84509/9_1_33_-1__0_0_0_-1/

Integra DTR-8.8

I think you might need to start with the basics.

Set up wise there are 2 main goals you can pursue:

MUSIC listening:

The initial set up starts with two main tower, with the full range of the stereo signal sent to them including the BASS. The RF 7 is so popular because it does very well in that department but it needs good power to do reach it's full potential. Most of the shelves receivers just don't have it

Speakers such the RF 82 and the F 3 will usually need a sub to be added to them.

In order to fill the room you can add 2 more towers to the back and even one as a center channel and send the same stereo signal to them. Most people will use the the 5 channel setting for that, it should give you the feeling of the room being filled with music, however as explained before the towers need more power to run and therefore a normal receiver will not cut it.

Once thing I need to point out is if you are going through the trouble of getting such a set up it does not make sense to 2 different set of towers in the front and the back as you would want to match the timbre between them.

The nice thing about this set up ( 5 towers arround the room) is it will aslo work well for movies using 5.1.

MOVIE watching:

This is where the 5.1 or 7.1 system comes in

It starts with a 5.1 set up: 2 main towers, a center channel, 2 side speakers and a sub woofer.

You have 5 different channel going to each speakers, the .1 being the BASS (also called LFE) which is send to the sub.

In this system the center channel is the main speakers because that is where all the voices are sent( this why your center channel cost almost as much as a tower, you do not want to go cheap on it). The towers will assit in creating a sound stage. The side speakers call Wide Dispersion speakers are there to create sound effect.

The 7.1 system is mostly a marketing thing. In most cases the 2 side channels are mixed into a new signal then split in two and send to 2 rear speakers which give you more surround effects. This is really effective if you have a rather large room to fill.

Most receivers have the on board amplification to support both format

Most people will also set there cross over at 80 HZ which means that you are now taking the low end of the signal and send it to the sub. This setting is done through you receiver.

If you are doing some serious music listening I would suggest that you look into the Klipsch heritage series. If you are doing mainly movies go with a 5.1 or 7.1 set up.

I think we all assumed that when you said 4 towers you meant 2 in the front and 2 in the back not 4 front. That would be a big no no if you ask me, you are trying to reach quality using quantity and it just does not work that way.

MUSIC listening:

If you are doing some serious music listening I would suggest that you look into the Klipsch heritage series. If you are doing mainly movies go with a 5.1 or 7.1 set up.

I'm definately wanting 7.1 or 7.2... now I've looked at the Klipsch heritage and it just looks tooooooo big. I'm thinking the RF-83's would be good for music if i run 2 fronts plus a .1 sub for added bass on 2ch stereo (2.1 my current receiver supports that. 2 fronts and a sub). Then for movies, I could switch to surround sound and those RF-83's would make good strong fronts?

My only concern now is that I want a receiver that can push the rf-83's for movies and music with no issues. I thought the yamaha could do that but apparently not. please advise

Okay so heres the deal. Since the Yamaha cannot compete with power, I need some suggestions on a very good receiver that will... that comes with HD radio, XM, Sirius hook ups... ALL THE BELLS AND WISTLES.

I would suggest that you check out emotiva.com. Going separate ( decoder UMC 1+ amp XP5 and) will also take care of any power issues

Now again, I want to beat down the block... so for music... if I have A and B front inputs, Im probably gonna want RF-83's on each so that when I want, I can switch to 2ch Stereo and beat down the house, but when it comes to watching a movie, I would want those fronts to work well in the surround set up. Im only discussing front speakers here. Lets see if this is a good idea before I discuss the rest of the setup up. Is there something wrong with having 4- RF-83's if i have 4 front channel inputs? will a movie not sound good with those large speakers on the front? Now remember, my understanding is that most AVR's come with A and B front inputs.

Surround speakers are supposed to be behind you, so having 4 RF 83 in the front will not help for movies. You will still need surround speakers.

The idea for A and B is to power 2 different set of speakers, usally in 2 different room, or if you wanted to do stereo listening a for the front and b for the back( behind you ) would be another option.

As explained before I do not think most receivers, even if they have that option, have the power to do so.

I would suggest that you check out emotiva.com. Going separate ( decoder UMC 1+ amp XP5 and) will also take care of any power issues

[

Now this sounds like a good idea. And im asuming you are talking about

This:

And This:

But wouldnt I want more channels if I wanting a 7.1 or 7.2 setup?

And what advantage does this seperate setup have over a 7.1 or 7.2 receiver?

I'm thinking the RF-83's would be good for music if i run 2 fronts plus a .1 sub for added bass on 2ch stereo (2.1 my current receiver supports that. 2 fronts and a sub). Then for movies, I could switch to surround sound and those RF-83's would make good strong fronts?

My only concern now is that I want a receiver that can push the rf-83's for movies and music with no issues. I thought the yamaha could do that but apparently not. please advise

The RF 83 will do a great job for both HT and music.

Power wise they are very efficient and do not need as much power as the RF 7 do.

While I think the Yamaha would do the job as I said check out emotiva.com. You can get all the power you need for the same price you would pay to have a good receiver able to handle those beasts.

For the wiring : for music you use the RCA out (analog) from the DVD/ CD player and hook it up to the CD RCA in of the receiver.

for movies hook up the HDMI output of the DVD to the DVD HDMI input of the receiver

This way all you have to do on the remote is select CD for music and DVD for movies, the receiver will do the rest

For 7.1 you will have to add another amp, I would suggest the XP3. As I said 7.1 is for rather large rooms and not needed in most cases.

The .1 refers to the sub so a 7.2 would mean you have 2 subs. If your receiver does not have 2 outputs for the subs (most of them don't anyway) you can take the single sub output out of the receiver and use a splitter cable to send the signal to both subs.

The sub woofer will handle the amplification part anyway

And what advantage does this seperate setup have over a 7.1 or 7.2 receiver?

Better power

The RF 83 will do a great job for both HT and music.

Power wise they are very efficient and do not need as much power as the RF 7 do.

While I think the Yamaha would do the job as I said check out emotiva.com. You can get all the power you need for the same price you would pay to have a good receiver able to handle those beasts.

Okay, I think I have it now. Since the RF-83's are so efficient as stated, then the Yamaha should be able to push them with a .1 sub to sound really good for music and bang the heck out of my room. The reason I'm deciding on the receiver is that it has wifi, bluetooth, and all this other geeky stuff that will thrill me to death. So by making that decision, I could run a really good sub... the RW-12d with those beastly fronts and really tear it up, correct? That should take care of my music cravings. If I ever need or crave more, then I'll just have to see what I can do to compromise.

Now that I have the receiver chosen, and the 2 fronts with sub.... I'm ready to decide on the rest of the setup....

Here is the diagram that shows the connections:

http://www.texas-rebel.com/mystuff/surround.jpg

Surround Connections

I want to put the best setup on the receiver now for surround sound? Can this be done?