Garage Sale Finds

fini

Didn't pick any of this up (yet!), but an interesting mix:

1) AR-LST speakers (asking $400/pr.)

2) Dual 1215 TT (make offer)

3) Phillips Automatic 406 TT (make offer)

4) Pioneer SX-1050 receiver, Dual 1219 TT, Fisher speakers, great condition ($200)

Anyone care to comment on these deals? I might go for one of the turntables, maybe the Dual 1219 if they'd sell separately. The AR's were quite interesting, though...

fini

mdeneen- These were in Rohnert Park. I was able to sneak out of the house for a bit this morning, saving my mundane Saturday chores for the afternoon. Yup, those are the speakers I saw. They looked to be in excellent condition, but I didn't check under the hood, or take 'em for a spin. My wife would probably kill me if I brought these home (even if I told her I could sell them on eBay for___times what I paid for them). It was an estate sale, the kids getting rid of Dad's stuff for him (Dad's o.k.-just in a smaller place now, thanks for asking). Unfortunately, no tube gear (I asked).

Keith-I appreciate the link! Thank you!

fini

I enjoy reading about the vintage stuff too,mdeneen.I recognize most of it.

Got a pair of AR11's in walnut from my dad that needs a little woof surround work.Going to try and restore them when I get time.Everything's there,badging,grills,etc.Got the original boxes too!

Keith

Well, I went back today. Everything was still there. The AR's sounded pretty funky. From the sites that TTK suggested, seems this is common for AR's of this vintage (needing new surrounds and general TLC). They wanted $100 for the pair-I passed. Did pick up the Pioneer SX-1050 for $50, and two "project" turntables (the Dual 1219, and a Pioneer PL-41) for $5 each. It's a disease, I know, but someone has to have it (those orphans need a home...)!

It won't be long before I'll be posting asking for TT repair tips...

fini

fini,

Does that Dual 1219 have the 78 speed? I picked up a Dual 1019 awhile back (forgot to show it to you since it is over in the old editing room with all the old 78s and lots of mildew --yes, I need to buy one of those serious ozone generator air cleaning things, the kind you cannot be in the room with when its doing its thing. Not good for anything made of rubber though. Ozone will cause it to decay fast. So what was I talking about....hmmmm

Oh yes Dual turntables. As I remember, both the Dual 1219 and the Dual 1019 are sought after on eBay. I still have to get a cartridge for my 1019. What kind of cartridge is on your 1219? The Dual 1019 is a workhorse, although a bit over the top mechanically, lots of things meshing and levers doing their things, almost too much to deal with,but I know some vinyl and 78 collectors who love the 1019. I believe the 1219 is also a workhorse. I am not sure about its audiophile appeal though. I was going to use the 1019 for transferring 78s so I can toast some CDs on my iMac. The 1019 even has a 16 speed. Only thing it cannot do is play 16" transcription discs (of which I have only 3). Not worth getting a transcription player just for these. Think I will dump them on eBay. I am sure you could make out handsomely on eBay with the 1219, considering you got it for $5.

Cl&Sh

Lipton Soup,

The also had a Dual 1215 (broken) and a Phillips Automatic 406 for sale. I'll bet they didn't sell. I'll keep my eyes peeled for their next estate sale. We could go together w/mdeneen. I don't know about mdeneen, but I've got a nook in my garage and you've got a few crannies at your place inwhich we could shove a bit more stuff...whaddaya say?

fini

fini,

When you say broke, do you mean the table does not turn, or does not hold speed, or what? Maybe it is fixable?

Hey, with your ability to be at the right yard sale at the right time, mdeneen's inside knowledge, and my knack for getting up early to prepare Crawfish pie, we could have a big audio bargain fest, fill fruit jar, and have big fun down on the Bayou.

-Clip-on Soup-stain

Cleansed Corn, I did a cob job removing a few screws, some of my screws are only loose, hoping I don't louse up and lose 'em. Regarding the Pioneer TT, the platter doesn't spin. I haven't checked to see if power is getting to the motor, etc.

The Dual, on the other hand, does spin, sort of, in 78 speed and 45, not 33. Removed the platter, and it seems to be a problem with the idler wheel (?), mybe gunky old lubricant. The "start/stop" lever seems to not be engaging properly-it goes past where it seems like it should stop. I'm not quite sure how to separate the TT from the wooden base, which I'd like to do so that I may read the "instructions" pasted on the inside bottom. I can see this through a drop-down panel on the front of the base. Man, you are up early!

fini

• 9 years later...

Wow, I was quite a boob back then. Still, it's fun strolling down mammary lane.

USNRET, sorry, no experience here with your finds.

Yeah, a while back. Reminds me of a magazine a buddy loaned me decades ago. It was 'Thanks For The Mammary's" or something like that. No pictures of Bob Hope though.

K.