AA crosover with 2 4ohm bass speakers

dtel

• Moderators

Can a AA crossover be used without any changes with two of the Bob Crites cast frame woofers they are 4 ohm each ? It will be a temporary set up so I don't want to change the crossovers.

• Moderators

I have those MWM bass bins I built in the house now and until I get amps to go with the 402 and dx38 I have already they are dead.

In the workshop I have two single MWM's with a box built like the split LaScala tops with the k400/k55 mid and Bobs tweeters with AA crossovers built in the box and I just use one bass bin with each top.

I was going to use those tops on the bins inside which is 2 bins on each channel, until I get a couple of amps or one 4 or 5 channel amp. It may only be a couple of weeks until I can get amps so I did not want to change the crossovers because they will go back in the workshop.

You would do better just eliminating the 2.5 mH inductor in the AA crossovers, in other words, drive the MWM bins directly off the input of the crossover. If you use the AAs as they are, you will have the bass bins rolling off at about 200 hz. You need about a 1.2mH inductor in place of the stock 2.5 mH to get them up to 400 hz or just no inductor at all to let them run up to the point they roll off naturally. With the AA crossvoer, I think you will find you have a lot too much bass with the two bins on each side compared to the amount of squawker and tweet.

When you are driving the two bins in parallel, consider the load to be about 3 ohms. Make sure your amp can handle that load. Most pro amps do that just fine.

Bob Crites