Any ideas on what is happening with my power conditioner?!?!?

vanderrg

I had a Belkin PureAv PF30 for about 3 years. About 2 weeks ago the unit stopped providing power through the switched outlets on the back (the unit has several outlets that are switched and several that are continuously on). I tried hitting the breaker switch on the back to reset but this did nothing. The equipment all worked fine when I plugged it into live outlets. I figured I may have had a lightning strike or something and that the Belkin may have absorbed it, committing suicide in order to protect my equipment.

So I ordered a new Belkin PF30 identical to the other one and everything was great for about 1 week. But then the exact same thing happened with this new unit. To me this is just too weird I don't even think we've had any rain or storms since I got the new one. What could be doing this? Has my a/v equipment suddenly gone faulty in some bizarre way where it still works perfectly when plugged directly into the wall but just destroys power conditioners?!?!? (Denon 3805 receiver, Sunfire 2-channel amp, SVS subwoofer).

It's just too much of a coincidence that this happened twice right in a row...anyone have any ideas of what could cause this? I hesitate to buy another power conditioner since I just wasted $100 on the one I just bought...but I don't really want to just leave everything plugged directly into wall outlets either.

Surge protection seems like a bright idea to me. I'm having good results with a pair of Tripp-Lite Isobar Ultra metal-bodied units. One for the sub and the power amps and the other one for the rest of the equipment. The blacks are noticeably blacker on the TV, and the units aren't that costly, around $100.

I know this isn't the same thing but I've had a Belkin PF60 for a year now and it has worked pretty good, even small power surges due to storms will trip the internal breaker and (maybe) save what is plugged into it. I have my video stuff and media players plugged into it, my Emotiva amps are plugged straight into the wall since they have their own protection built in. My PF60 has never failed to reset so far, it sounds like the PF30 is using some inferior components in this area. The PF60 has thirteen outlets, 12 on the back and one on the front.

Posted Image

islander, if you like your blacks now, try getting a shielded power cord for your tv.

My TV has a captive power cord, so that would mean cutting and splicing. The components that have IEC sockets and removeable power cords are the two power amps, the sub and the Dx38 processor, so that would mean buying four power cords, which is how I've managed to talk myself out of buying any so far. When I saw the cheap cable it came with, I did make up a power cord for the sub, using Carol 14AWG cable and Marinco hospital-grade connectors and I'm happy with that.

You think it would be better to just plug it into the wall? What about surge protection and the like?

First I'd get the sub off the same strip as the rest of your AV gear. If possible put it on a seperate circuit alltogether. If you end up wanting surgre suppression for your sub, be sure to get a supressor rated for more than your sub can pull at max output. Many sub manufacturers recommend going straight to the wall.