To 6.1 or not to 6.1

Cacka Lacka

Hello new member here.

I just picked up an Academy this morning to replace my KV2 (it just wasn't enough center for the KG 5.2s). So now I have this KV2 that I'm not using and was wondering if it would be a suitable candidate for a rear in a 6.1 setup? I've never had any experience with 6.1 HT and was just wondering what everybody's opinions are about 6.1. I eventually plan on getting another pair of KG 3.2s or 2.2s to be used for a 7.1, but until then I was just curious about using the KV2 in a 6.1 setup.

Thanks in advance!

• Moderators

I have 6.1 only because I bought speakers in pairs and it was that or store the other, so I stored it as a center rear.

To be honest I can't tell if it really makess a difference or not but it was better than trying to find space for it somewhere else.

post-11804-13819476557348_thumb.jpg

The rear effects channels are a mono signal matrixed DD-EX and DTS-ES so you can run one or two speakers it's your call.

I think the newer DD-HD and DTS-HD version may be fully discrete on the surround effects channels.

Either way adding that speaker back there WILL make a difference there is more content back there than you think and moreso on the newer movie soundtracks.

Go for it.

If it's sitting around gathering dust, why not hook it up? I bought a pair of Heresy IIs to get a centre speaker and the second of the pair sat on the bedroom floor for over a year before I recently decided to hook it up as a centre rear in the living room. I'd been watching movies in Straight mode (no processing) with 5.1 program material, so I got no sound out of the centre rear until I switched to Surround mode, using either DTS or Dolby Digital, depending what was available on the DVD.

For movies, the extra speaker does add something, and I had favourable comments a couple of times from friends watching movies at my place, before I'd even mentioned that I'd added it to the system.