Klipschorn top section removal

squawker

Because of the lack of good corners in my house, I decided to give up on joining the Klipschorn club. However, I found a nice pair with an unknown problem in nice shape for $1000. I can't pass it up so now for the delivery phase. If I remove the top sections, I can fit a bass section in each of 2 station wagons and bring one wagon back for the 2 top sections. Question: when I attempt to remove the top sections, what possible problems may I encounter? I'm guessing all wing nuts, and the xover and horns (and mid horn support) stay with the upper? Might the two sections stick together? Anything other potential problems? The year may be 1980 but I didn't get the serial number. Pickup will be on Tuesday 06/23/09.

there are a series of 1" square 'dots' of a soft rubber material that act as cushions between the top and bottom sections. Depending on how they were stored, these may adhere themselves to both cabinets and take a bit of light prying to separate. A thin blade knife can be used to separate the two in these instances.

Also take pliers for the thumbscrews and lots of blankies. I prefer to remove the side grilles from the bass sections as they can be cracked easily if the LF bin is tipped the wrong direction.

I prefer to remove the side grilles from the bass sections as they can be cracked easily if the LF bin is tipped the wrong direction.

Absolutely!

I picked up my pair in a '98 Toyota Sienna. Fun trip!

This is important: Find room to take a good appliance dolly (the kind with a strap), and rags to protect the corners. It will literally save your back. You may want to bring your own simple audio set-up (ipod, amp, wires) in order to test them. Sometimes its a hassle for the seller to set up his own demo. It's just nice to know everything is working (or not). When I bought my beauties (late-70s WO, $1800), I played them as short a time as possible. They sounded so good, I didn't want to inspire premature seller's remorse (or worse: "You know, I think I'll keep them...").

Thanks all for the suggestions. These are good things to know. A pry knife and possibly a mallet. I’ve debated whether or not to test. If they work fine who knows what the seller might do to the deal. If everything looks present and good I think I’ll run with it. I think I can move them in 1 trip with 2 wagons by removing the front passenger seat and hinged rear seat in each wagon for the tops. Definitely a hand truck and blankies.

They turned out to be unfinished birch in fairly decent shape with two blown woofers, Everything else is functional. The labels are missing. The serial number has a u in it for 1980. One mid driver was replaced (one driver has spring loaded terminals with a replacement wire and one driver is soldered). Two out of six molding pieces on the edges of the shelf (bottom side of top section) remain. Now I need 2 woofers and a refin or veneer job. The top came easily. There are round felt pads underneath, similar to under an xover. Not a screamin deal but probably reasonable. I like the gold back square tweeters. The birch has no grain at all. Now is the time to test them for sound since all of my experience has been with cornwalls and LaScalas. Up to this point, I have been a believer that the cornwall is the best all around speaker Klipsch ever made (for the heritage type sound). It can do it all.

Congrats!

Some prefer Cornwall slam but others prefer refined bass horn sound. I'd like the Cornwall better with a different mid horn. Why settle for one? Collect them all!!! Keep us updated on your restoration. Picked a veneer?

I certainly like your line of thought but I'm not very fast. I just started reading about veneering to see if it is beyond me or not. First I have to get them functional and make corners to try them out. I may try the Crites cast frame woofers. They have K33B woofers now. I wonder how they both blew. I wonder what the market is for blown woofers because I can't just toss 'em. From your description, it sounds like khorns don't have the punch that cornwalls have. I like the punch but getting older, my ears get tired very quickly. I'm mostly concerned that I may not get them to sound good in my basement but I have no other place. The only 2 times I heard khorns was last year when I almost bought a pair setup in a garage. The sound was not inspiring and I passed. The other time was many years ago (around 1980) at my friend's house in central NY. His Father had a new one and serial #15 with a modern tweeter added. I certainly agree with your 'collect them all' statement. I now have the khorns, 6 cornwalls, and a wall of 14 LaScalas. However, really 13, I need one more black LaScala to even it up. The reason for the number of LaScalas is because they were cheap! Mostly all were pulled from old Rogers organ installations and have the screw on tops. I had to pass on the MCM bass bins on ebay in 2004 that went for $30 to $60 each. It was hard to pass up because I was close enought to pick them up but they are just too big. I've heard a setup with 4 double MCM bass bins and six LaScalas and it was killer. They turned the bins on and off for comparison.