New, pretty old, Khorns

kuisis

Tom-

I agree completely with Sheltie Dave.

Nevertheless, I would start with a replacement 4401 to start with "original" and then put them both aside for safe keeping to be replaced by Bob's tweeters to actually enjoy the speakers. I'm not certain if the substitution of the Crites' tweeters would require a modification or replacement of the xovers.

I think I may have found some RP-302's locally. I love this town, so many old radio/audio guys. If so I'm going to try them. I am also going to get one tweeter to match the university so I have original equipment. I'm looking forward to these speakers.

Tom

Although I've sometimes wished Klipsch would come out with an improved tweeter for the Khorn (efficiency that high is hard to come by), at other times the K - 77s sound so incredibly good, especially with brass and brass embedded in other instruments, that I still marvel at them.

Interesting that you should say that, since I also have the AK-4's (I just now noticed that you have them, too). I tried the Crites tweets, but ended up keeping the K-77's because they integrated so well with the other drivers/horns, as well as with the music.

It may be my electronics, but my system is a little laid back for anything but classical.

P.S. Is your slight hum just on your K-horns but not other speakers? If so, perhaps you have an EMI field too close to your crossovers, as the coils may pick that up as hum -- even with the speaker wire disconnected.

Pat on the Island,

My daddy had the first V-8 ford in Walker County, Alabama. He had a vocational reason for it. A quick look at the movie, "Thunder Road" would explain everything. When I came along, he 'retired' from that line of work and took a job in public works for 37 years so he could raise his family without having to go to jail or be seen by me as a youngster around the house dealing with illegal whisky and the law. My Dad, sort of as a hold-over from the whisky-running days, always drove very fast, and had muscular, powerful and perfectly-maintained cars. His influence as a whisky-runner has affected my usage and treatment of automobiles AND oddly enough, this way of thinking has been 'ported over' to my life with my stereo as well.

When I decide to have a session of stereo-listening, it's a little like one of dad's midnight whiskey runs, extraordinary on many levels!!

Chuck/Doc

If you really enjoy those three cars it's worth a trip to the museum. Once a year they have ACD days. Lots of cars and other things.

Two years ago, it was Deuce Day in here in Victoria, the seventy-fifth anniversary of the '32 Ford, the Deuce, and there were several hundred Deuces in town, hot rods, all-original daily drivers, and everything in between, as well as quite a few other very cool old cars. They were parked, cruising around, and basically all over the Inner Harbour and the Old Town area. It was a very interesting and enjoyable summer weekend.