My Cornscala Towers Are Built! Help Needed!

Tag 1.7

Hi All,

I've built myself a pair of Cornscala towers using Bob Crites tweeter, woofer and midrange drivers and his Cornscala crossover. I have used ALK's trachorn for the mid horn. I don't think the bass is as deep as it should be and maybe if the port size/vent opening was altered it might improve performance but I'm no speaker designer so I need some expert opinions from you guys.

The internal dimensions of my Cornscala's are: 17.52 in (w) x 18.19 in (d) x 38.78 in (h) for a 7.15 cu.ft internal volume overall less approx 531 cu.in for the trachorn/K55, 467 cu.in for all internal bracing and the port shelf plus the volume of the woofer, tweeter and crossover. I have lined three sides with 3/4 inch damping material.

The vent openings are 49.64 cu.inch in area and the volume of the port from the back of the port shelf to the internal face of the front baffle is 724.96 cu.in, allowing for a slight decrease owing to internal bracing. That makes the port shelf 9.06 inches long and port height 5.31 inches and width is 16.10 inches.

To improve bass, should I get my saw out and alter these or should these sizes work?

Also, would ALK's crossovers be a worthwhile upgrade here? They cost a lot more so they should be better but in what way?

Thanks in advance.

post-26323-1381948615199_thumb.jpg

First, your speakers look pretty nice! Second, it makes sense to try to get what you already have dialed in, rather than trying another crossover, which would bring another variable into the situation and maybe add to the confusion.

Guest David H

Really nice job on those towers. Don't expect too much bass from your Cornscala, I find the bass is musical, and accurate, but nowhere near that of my RF-7's. If you want more bass, and your towers sound good, you might consider adding a nice sub.

Enjoy, Dave Harris