Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - Review/Thoughts?

dgoreck

Finally got to see it last night. Digital Projection and Klipsch sound system(1st time experiencing the Cinema gear actually) at the beautiful Ziegfeld in NYC.

I went in with semi-low expections after hearing people mention the horrible critic reviews, and one of my firends told me it was terrible. A few people said they liked it, and some of my friends wouldnt say anything to me till after I saw it.

I did like it, and thought it was good overall. A little long, yeah, but it didn't feel dragged out in my opinion. The pace was good and lots of robot action. For action movies I have seen this year I would rate them best to worst as follows. Star Trek, Transformers, Terminator, XMen: Wolverine.

The CGI is imho jaw dropping and must see on Digital Projection. Sound was very well done too. The details in the sounds from them transforming and fighting really help make you think it is real. The surround sound work wasn't overly done, but just right.

I am tempted to go see it again, as their is a lot to take in, but this should definately be Refernence Material when it comes on Blu-Ray.

(I heard it took over 140TB of storage for the film compared to 70TB for the first one.)

Anyone else?

The first movies CGI was also very good. I think since they do not have to simulate muscle, bone, hair, fur, etc it is easier( well I'm sure it was not easy but eaiser to make the CGI beliavable) to do.

Last year the Hulk CGI looked very bad to me![N]

Waiting till it comes out on DVD.

OK, the plot of the first one was silly, Terminator meets not Men in Black, but children in heat, the voice over narration simply crude, Shia does a good job, and he is cool in his interviews too, but the action and sound keeps coming, I liked the pace and I enjoyed it enough to want to see the sequel, when I have nothing better to do!

• 2 weeks later...

Lets be fair , both movies sucked in many ways . But the action sequences and sound in the new one is way better than the first . Transformers is a little after my time so I don't really get what all the fuss is about . I'm more of an Ultraman kinda guy , much more realistic than that Transformer gobblygook [:P].

I saw Transformers 2 after I saw Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince. Despite Potter 6’s $1/2 billion dollar international take on opening weekend, the Transformers 2 is the better movie! Shia LaBeouf is a much better actor. He receives and delivers much better lines than an insipid Daniel Radcliffe. I suspect the next Harry Potter is the end of his serious acting career. Yet Megan is a Fox! Her overt beauty and “never get dirty” tight white jeans dominates the movie. As an adult, I prefer the outright sexuality of Megan Fox to the silly childish crushes of teenagers that never kiss. Potter 6 squanders a cast rich with talent, while Transformers 2 milks a few nobodies.

Although they never have any lines worth repeating, Transformers uses the compassion of Tyrese Gibson, John Turturro and Kevin Dunn to advance the tale of humans caught between a battle of advanced alien robots. Potter 6 however, kills off Michael Gambon (Dumbledore) and practically ignores the talents of Maggie Smith, Julie Walters, Helena Bonham Carter and the slithery Alan Rickman.

Plus, the direction and action of Transformers 2 is better. And its stupid plot twists are just as believable as the magic that infuses Potter.

Alien robots that never die is just as believable as evil wizards that never die. In both movies the special computer effects make the entire movie. In Potter, computer generated images create the Hogwarts castle with its rich architecture. In Transformers, CGI creates a mess of metal clashes as robot battles robot. In both, the repetitious computer generated pattern wears the eye down, making the CGI seem like it goes on forever. To its credit, Transformers seems to have a lot more on site scenery with locations in New Mexico, Pennsylvania, Arizona, California, Egypt, Paris and Jordan.

Potter was like a magic potion; I wanted to sleep through its poetically slow tale. Transformers 2 was a classic “bang bang shoot em up,” with high tech weapons. Much easier for me to enjoy. I can’t say Transformers 2 is good enough to spend your lunch money on to see it in the theater, but I think only Harry Potter fans should rent this franchise’s sixth release.