Image x10 vs s4

bliss53

The main difference between the Image X10 & X5 and the S4 is that the X10 and X5 use an armature-type driver to produce sound, while the s4 uses a type of "micro-speaker." I have the Custom-3s, which use the armature-type driver. I have not heard the S4s, so I can't say just how big the difference is. I can say that my Custom-3s are far and away the clearest, cleanest-sounding IEMs (or any type of headphone, for that matter) that I have ever owned.

The main difference between the Image X10 & X5 and the S4 is that the X10 and X5 use an armature-type driver to produce sound, while the s4 uses a type of "micro-speaker." I have the Custom-3s, which use the armature-type driver. I have not heard the S4s, so I can't say just how big the difference is. I can say that my Custom-3s are far and away the clearest, cleanest-sounding IEMs (or any type of headphone, for that matter) that I have ever owned.

I agree with everything BuyOther has said. A bit of clarificaiton, the Custum-3s use 2 armature-type drivers and an extremely small crossover so they are 2 ways. I think Professor Thump a long time ago explained that an armature is closer to the type of driver used in high quality hearing aids and is much higher in quality than the micro speakers used in typical earbuds. I'm sure the micro speakers sued in the S4 (and coming soon S2) are much higher quality than typical ear buds.

The Custom-3s are the top of the Klipsch line in sound quality. The deepest bass and clearest highs. I think Professor Thump stated that the Custom-3 have the extended deep bass of the Image X10 and the better highs of the Image X5.

I have heard the S4s but only for a few minutes (search in link in previous post or see First Impressions post in Headphones.

Based on sound quality and ease of use, it's no contest, the Image X10 by a landslide. But the Image X10 retail for $349 while the Image S4 retail for $80 so based on bang for the buck the S4 wins out.

I'm sure I'd be disappointed trading in my Image X10 for Image S4 but maybe wouldn't miss the X10 that much having not head and fallen in love with them.

So if the cost of the Image X10 is an issue, get the Image S4 and maybe an Image S2 when it becomes available. If the cost of the Image X10 isn't a concern then get the Image X10.

Just my 0.02 db. Your mileage may vary.

... is there really any difference between x5 and s4 ?

Maybe a should have put it in replying to Image X10 vs S4.

YES! The Image X5 is much more refined and smoother. I think Professor Thump may have posted that the Image S4 have more bass. And the Image X5 retails for about $170 more.

I'd also venture that the Image X10, X5, and Custom-3 are designed more for absolute sound quality while the Image S4 and Image S2 are designed for mobile music players. That's just my opinon though I think I read something by Professor Thump about the S4 and S2 being designed for mobile music players. They're also very cost friendly.

If you're replacing the earbuds that came with your player either the X5 or S4 will be a dramatic improvement. If you want the most bass for the least $, the S4 will probably be a better choice than the X5 (as would the X10). If you want the highest sound quality and can give up some thump the X5 would be the better choice if your budget allows. I think the S2, not yet available, may be more comfortable than the S4 though will not have as much bass but my first very quick impression was that I liked the S2 a bit better. Your mileage may vary.

Can't go wrong with any of the Klilpsch 'phones.

Thanks for those informative replies! :)

A little thing though about x5s. Do they "stick out of your ear when you use them? Because there is this review on X5s with pictures on them and god do they look weird sticking out like that lol!

Heres the link - http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/11/11/review-klipsch-image-x5-in-ear-headphones/

Oh one last question. Since Ill be using this headphone to listen lossy music files (ipod), I would be better off with X5s. Is that right?

( PS - Im not sure why the browser doesnt allow me to post with paragraph spaces :P )

A little thing though about x5s. Do they "stick out of your ear when you use them? Because there is this review on X5s with pictures on them and god do they look weird sticking out like that lol!

Heres the link - http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/11/11/review-klipsch-image-x5-in-ear-headphones

Maybe a bit... but notice in at least one of the photos it's mostly the strain relief for the cord that sticks out and not the body of the 'phone. Larger ears and ear canals may swallow them up. I have the Custom 2 and x10s. The x10s pretty much disappear in my ears but I have fairly large ear canals and the Custom 2 when properly installed are pretty much flush with my outer ear at least.

re: original unedited post that was emailed, they Image x5 have awesome bass. Not as great as the x10 or Custom 3 but VERY GOOD. The S4 may have more bass at least I think that's what Professor Thump posted in another post. Not necessarily better but more. Remember we're comparing $250 (x5) 'phones with $80 (S4) 'phones.

Oh one last question. Since Ill be using this headphone to listen lossy music files (ipod), I would be better off with X5s. Is that right?

Maybe not. The x5s will most likely expose any deficiencies in your source files more thoroughly than will the S4s. I think the S4s were designed for lossy music files. IE, in audiophile terms, with the X5 you'll hear everything, good and bad. The S4s may be a bit more forgiving in that regard.

I've used the Custom 2 since first available and the x10 since December 2008 and you will hear things in your music or noise from your player if it's noisy that you didn't before. I use a circa 2000 Creative Labs Zen xTra with mp3 files ripped at Creativ'es 60% variable setting giving files that are identified as between 200 and 300 + kbps. I'm not sure I'd hear differences between a 128 kbps mp3 file and a 320 kbps file but I might. When I've tested such things with a couple of tracks I wasn't sure I heard a difference between 128kbps and above but I don't think I've done that with the x10s.

You should be fine with either model as long as your mp3 files are at least 128kbps file but you may find you need a higher bit rate mp3 file. Our Custom 2 and Image X10 both sound good with either of our girls' iPods and I think any mp3s they've purchased are 128 kbps. Your mileage may vary.

( PS - Im not sure why the browser doesnt allow me to post with paragraph spaces :P )

You must be using Safari? The software the Forum uses doesn't work very well with Safari for some reason. Works fine with Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox.

p.s. I prefer the sound of the x5 over the x10 but the x5 are too big around for our youngest daughter's ear canals. Professor Thump who loves and knows bass also prefers the x5 over the x10. Enough said about the bass of the x5. If it's good enough for Professor Thump, it's good enough for most of the rest of us.

p.s.s. The brighter sound (clearer highs to me) of the x5 over the x10 may expose weaknesses in the source or your equipment and even more so I'm sure compared to the S4. I have heard all the models at one time or another, including the soon to be released S2 which I'm not sure I don't like better than the S4 but that may be just me. Although I've only heard the X5, S4, and S2 for very short period of times the X5 is the winner of that group to me, your mileage may vary. It's my favorite of all the Klipsch models. Though the x10's extremely tiny size gives it a ease of use and comfort factor (all are very comfortable) much less unbelievable coolness factor as how can something so tiny produce sound so big with bass you can literally feel in your head? The x5 by the way can achieve that feel the bass in your head feeling as well I think. When I say the x10 has better, deeper bass, don't take that to imply that the x5 is lacking in bass.

Thanks for all the replies Bisamanuel! :)

You just pushed me to buy X5s! :D

Really hope that they dont stick out or else I will totally look like the cybermen from doctor who! lmao

Will just reencode my music library to a higher bitrate setting. Do you think 128 AAC is enough? or should I go for 190 / higher bitrate?

Do you have any cable manager to recommend? - as I heard that the cable is quite long.

This one maybe? -> http://store.apple.com/us/product/TP827LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0Ng&mco=MjQzMzMyMQ&p=1&s=topSellers

You're welcome MrSen.

I'd listen to your currently encoded music to see if the bitrate you're using is high enough. One way to tell is to encode a familiar selection at various bitrates and then compare. The higher the bitrate the better - but you have to balance that with how large the files are and the capacity of your portable music player.

I've not used a cable manager. You might try searching Headphones but I don't remember much about cable managers. Be sure to select the options when in the Headphones section and change the default display current 2 months to display all. There are some good tips in various threads on cleaning and storing.

Let us know what you think when you get your x5

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old post, but I'll offer my opinion.

I got the S4i over a year ago and liked the sound. After I sweated too much and rendered the Apple control useless, I went ahead and ordered the X10i. (Klipsch was going to warranty the 4's, but I fixed them myself and still use them with a waterproof cover over the control; I have a microscope & really small tweezers.)

When I got the X10's, I was disappointed with the bass. It was lacking as compared to the 4's. They sound cleaner and are smaller in size, but I was expecting them to have more bass.

So, that's what I think. I still like the 10's, but the 4's have more bass when I listen to my iPod.

The X10 has got basic armature speaker - its bass quantity might be less but the speed , textured bass quality would be much better [observe it]

S4 has dynamic drivers - its bass quantity would be more but its not tight as X10 and the speed will also be less [check it]

Hope this helps , X10 are crazy tiny and are soooo much comfortable to wear for longer session .........

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have both the (S4's) and the (x10i's) and the (x10i's) do use the armature drivers and the (S4's) use the micro drivers. Well believe it or not I like the (S4's) better and as far as the extra money paid for the (x10i's) I feel it doesn't justify all that extra cost over what the (S4's) can deliver. I like the (S4's better!!!) While the (x10i's) might have a better overall refined sound through the frequency spectrum the (S4's) definitely, yes definitely have more bass thump or more bass period! Professor Thump new what he was talking about when he said the S4's definitely have more bass. I much prefer the (S4's) over the (x10i's) hands down! [;)]

• 1 month later...