Help: Can't decide which of my receivers to use in the HT

substance-p

I have heard the RF series with both a marantz and yamaha receiver ( I still have the yamaha hooked up to mine and it is just because I already had it and I did not buy a marantz). I know this is only a matter of taste but I thought the marantz was a much better receiver.

I do not think you must have a HDMI hook up for the WII, you might need to have 2 cables video and optical but it would be just as good.

While I agree with most comment regarding adding an external amp, that would apply to both receiver so that it is not a deal breaker for one or the other.

As you pointed out the .2 issue can be resolved with a splitter cable.

HDMI 1.1 vs 1.3. Depending on which version it is, you might not be able to pass a 1080P signal but only 1080I through HDMI 1.1. You just gonna have to try

So as far as I can see it comes down to one extra cable between the two, therefore I would suggest that you hook up both and give them a run. Hear it for yourself.

Once again this a matter of preference but I always like Harman Kardon the best followed closely by he Marantz and the Pioneer Elite then Denon and yamaha. I like the sound of the denon better over the yamaha but I always thought they were the hardest of all to set up. ( pioneer being the easiest to set up)

The system is all hooked up. Currently I have the Yamaha running the HT; however, I am thinking I need to add some power [:D]

I am torn between starting over with a different receiver like the onkyo SR805 (used ones are around 500 and from what I've read they are a beast at the price point) and adding some separate amps to the Yamaha. Space is a little tight in the area where my components are going so I don't think I could more that one (maybe two) separate amps in addition to the other gear that is there.

Thoughts on moving up to the Onkyo (around 130 watts per channel) vs picking up a separate amp?

The system is all hooked up. Currently I have the Yamaha running the HT; however, I am thinking I need to add some power Big Smile

I am torn between starting over with a different receiver like the onkyo SR805 (used ones are around 500 and from what I've read they are a beast at the price point) and adding some separate amps to the Yamaha. Space is a little tight in the area where my components are going so I don't think I could more that one (maybe two) separate amps in addition to the other gear that is there.

Thoughts on moving up to the Onkyo (around 130 watts per channel) vs picking up a separate amp?

Substance-P,

Think of it like this, because this is truely how it is. ALL receivers, NO MATTER WHAT BRAND, are a compromise!!! You can only hold so much in a 10 gallon hat! The manufacturers each try for their own share of the market by desciding what stuff they feel will sell to their demographic of public by desciding what to fit in their own little box.

Some manufacturers will put in a better amplifier section, some manufactures will put in more features (read pushy buttons), some manufacturers will put in more and flashier displays which hardware will take up more room, some manufacturers will concentrate on bare essentials with better parts.

Attention K-Mart Shoppers; The receiver, like a computer, is the thing that will go outdated faster then anything else in your system, just like a computer, and if you constantly upgrade it to the latest and greatest, you will go nuts doing so, and never complete the most important features of your system in terms of sound like A) better speakers, and B) better amplification.

The things that will make your receiver outdated fastest is new forms of connections (the latest, greatest cable or fiber optic, especially new types of video connections) and the next new and greatest video format that will replace Blue-Ray. Attention, until that new video source is invented, and you own the new device, you don't need a new way to connect it.

Amplifier techknowlodgy hasn't changed at a very much faster rate then speakers. Look at the Klipschorn and how very little that techknowlogy has changed, yet still very prized and saught after. Similarly amplifiers are still very much the same. It still takes much of the same basic circuits for the same forms of amplification, but better components, especially a quality power transformer and power storage and handling techniques (read capacitors) are going to seriously add to the ammount of realistate that amplifier is going to take up (you just can't fit all of the good stuff in a receiver), how heavy the unit is going to be, and cost of the amplification circuits.

By far the best three thing that affect sound are number;

1) Speakers (bigger and better, and always the most bang for the buck until you get into 5 digit price tags for only two speakers)

2) Accoustics (limited primarily by room design and furnishings), but still you do what you can.

3) Amplification (your amplification is going to do more to determine the dynamics of how your speakers can sound then anything else

and also adhere to the bigger is better principal)

After you have quallity amplification, you can always upgrade at a later date to the newer formats as needed with a dedicated surround sound processor. The processor, not having to waste space on an amplification circuit, will have more room for more and better hook-ups of all types, like the abillity to tie dirrectly into your computer system for dirrect domnloads, connections for your prefered FM satelite radio provider of choice, and direct hookups for your ipod) these are all available right now and they will have the capabillities for the next, newest & greatest when it appears on the horizon. There are even processors that come with 4 subwoofer outs.

Roger

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to focus on getting a separate amp with at least 150 watts a channel and go from there.

Take a look at this. Email the guy and offer $600.00 to $700.00. I think he is a little high. I have been thoroughly pleased with my B&K powering a pair of RF-63's and an RC-64. Night and day difference than my Onkyo alone. This ad has been on A-gon for at least a month.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1250908511&/B-K-4430-Reference-multi-chann

Another quality amp.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1251329898&/Anthem-MCA5-Series2

Bill

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to focus on getting a separate amp with at least 150 watts a channel and go from there.

Take a look at this. Email the guy and offer $600.00 to $700.00. I think he is a little high. I have been thoroughly pleased with my B&K powering a pair of RF-63's and an RC-64. Night and day difference than my Onkyo alone. This ad has been on A-gon for at least a month.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1250908511&/B-K-4430-Reference-multi-chann

Another quality amp.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1251329898&/Anthem-MCA5-Series2

Bill

Bill,

Both look like good amps, the only thing I don't like is no Clip lights for the individual channels to keep him from getting into trouble.

Roger

Thought I'd post a quick update:

I have a lead on an amp that I should know more about on Friday (a friend who owns HT business picked it up on a trade in during an install and it could be a great deal...don't want to jinx it though [:D]).

Also, I am thinking about ditching the Yamaha 663 regardless and going with either a different A/V receiver that also has preouts for a separate amp or going with a separate processor. The Yamaha has some hiccups with compatability with a couple of my components and skimps on the inputs as well.