RMS vs. Total System Power

kuantan

John Albright,

While a good amp the B&K M-200 does not hold a candle to a Krell FPB600,its not even close race.Be it specs,sound quality,...anything...besides the Krell massive scare factor,the price.

Krell's big KAS,FPB lines are amont the most linear amps on the market regardless of price.Krell since their very start used huge transformers with massive reserves in caps to make sure the amps would give tremendous peaks when called to do so.And the all important amplifier itself(gain stage)are also massive,all is overbuilt the way mdeneen like it.

Even a FPB600 is rated lower,this amp is known to give a good 50W RMS over the rated 600,and over 1300 at Ohms.And over the 2400W mark at 2 Ohms.Linear you bet,I can almost drive heating elements on the stove. LOL

And its more musical then most imagine,most who rate this amp bad never heard it,or heard it fast during a show.Well too bad you have to listen in your audio system to evaluate it properly.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

quote:

Originally posted by TheEAR:

Why do some buy sports cars capable of 180+ MPH? Because they can,not they will EVER use them at these speeds.

Yes, and still it is nonsense, at least in USA. I like very much to drive my car and my motorcycle to their limits (210kmph and 277kmph).

I will never understand why on earth americans buy Ferraris or Porsches when they can't enjoy them? All they can do is 1/4 of mile "races".

This message has been edited by Manuel on 03-07-2002 at 09:24 AM

Manual,

quote:

I will never understand why on earth americans buy Ferraris or Porsches when they can't enjoy them? All they can do is 1/4 of mile "races".

Well, I can't speak for ALL of us Americans (uh, isn't Mexico in North America?) but if I get back on my feet and the new business is successful, one of the things I would really, really like to buy myself is either (a) a Porche 911 4 Carrera Cabriolet, or (B) the new Porsche Cayenne Turbo SUV. Why? Not because I intend to drive through the hills of sunny Connecticut at speeds in excess of 250kph, but because:

1) They are the coolest cars to drive I can imagine, whether you're travelling at a velocity of 50mph or 15-mph;

2) I need all wheel drive up here, I live in a very hilly, rural countryside and the roads get iced over and covered with snow they stay that way for while - can't tell you how many times my Subaru SVX has gotten me places when dozens of other cars were lying in the woods off the shoulder of the road;

3) They handel beautifully even if you're only driving them at 40% of their capability;

4) While the top speed may not be useable here, the mid-band acceleration certainly is. The Merrit Parkway (route 15 in Connecticut) is one of, if not the oldest, limited access high speed highway in the USA, and some of the entrance ramps (to use the term very generously) have absolutely NO merge lane. You go around a tight, decreasing radius corkscrew turn at 15 or 20 kph, then have to accelerate and merge into traffic going by you at 120 kph or more, traffic which is frequently coming at you from a blind corner behind the lovely scenic trees and bushes, and you have NO SPACE AT ALL to pull this off. Makes for interesting morning commutes hereabouts.

5) Did I mention they are really cool?

6) My friends all have Porches, I must make amends...

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

Ray -

Point 4 of your previous post resonates all too well with me. I did my undergrad work up at Fairfield University (Merritt Parkway Exit 44). I still visit friends up there from time to time, and there's nothing better than winding through the Merritt on a fall day at 75 MPH. And you're absolutely right, unless you've got something that moves fast, you don't want to mess around with those entrance ramps with the STOP signs at the end of them.

OK, we now bring you back to your original program, still in progress...

C

------------------

My System

When were u at FU? I was there in 1977 for a semister taking a class in Ecology.

Oh, yes, I forgot to mention the stop signs. Those of you who've never driven through Connecticut on the Merrit, you're not gonna believe this. In addition to the "entrance ramps" being short and tightly coiled curves, a lot of them have a STOP SIGN Smash.gif right at the point where the ramp "merges" onto the highway. That's right, you come to a complete stop, watch cars whizzing by you at 75 or 80mph (during commuting hours, anyway) and then try to catch a gap and accelerate from 0 to 75 before the next car coming around the bend gives you a goodly wack.

Thanks for reminding me.

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

Ray,

I was at Fairfield from 83-87. Ecology, eh? Short guy with a goatee teach your class? I can picture him, but can't recall his name. He was my frosh bio professor, and he specialized in botany and ecology. Way back then I had visions of med school...then I wised up.

You've captured the driving experience on the Merritt all too well! I was chuckling out loud at your description. Full stop...gun it...and pray the horses kick in at the right time. For bonus points...try it at night or in inclement weather. Fortunately, my old 280 ZX never let me down...

Best,

C

------------------

My System

Ohhh, I could use that icon as well. I was thinking of Dr. Ray Poincelot. You're right, though, Dr. Bongiorno taught that class as well. Unfortunately, if memory serve me correctly, he passed away while I was still an undergrad, and sadly, at a relatively young age.

C

------------------

My System

quote:

Originally posted by mdeneen:

Man, you drive FAST!

Yep, one of the things I like more in the hole world. I guess I am a speed freak, just as some in here (like ears) are bass freaks. ;-)

Oh, I almost forgot... and the tube freaks!

"freak: An eccentric or nonconformist person, especially a member of a counterculture. An enthusiast."

Just to be sure Im not insulting nobody.

This message has been edited by Manuel on 03-07-2002 at 02:25 PM

quote:

Originally posted by Ray Garrison:

one of the things I would really, really like to buy myself is either (a) a Porche 911 4 Carrera Cabriolet, or (
B)
the new Porsche Cayenne Turbo SUV. Why? Not because I intend to drive through the hills of sunny Connecticut at speeds in excess of 250kph, but because: (etc)

Ray, I was not attempting to say that its absurd to buy a good car in the States (and a Porsche is certainly a GOOD car!). But being as me, a speed freak, it would be next to impossible to enjoy that car! I mean, I could stare at it the whole night, right there in my garage, waiting for me to sit and just put the pedal to the metal and leave behind everything else...

Man, how I love to dream...

This message has been edited by Manuel on 03-07-2002 at 04:42 PM

Manuel,

Porsche makes the best high tech sports cars on the planet.The legendary 959 is a car for the ages,the GT2 is a civilised beast I woulod give my sound systems for.Well almost Smile.gif

The 959 ...DROOL DROOL

TheEAR(s) Now theears

The Porsche Cayenne Turbo is one mean SUV.The BMW X5 has competition now.450HP for the Turbo Cayenne!Holly molly,with some mods this SUV can rip pavement.

The Porsche GT looks like a serious McLaren F1 competitor.

TheEAR(s) Now theears