KG-4.2 Not working correctly

deanbob

I am new so please be nice! I picked up a pair of KG-4.2's for next to nothing because 1 of the pair is not working correctly. By not correctly, I mean the tweeter is generating the high frequencies fine, but the mid range(speaker in the center of the cabinet) is barely audible; and the bass is non existent. I can move my dual banana plug from the KG-4.2 to the B&W 620 sitting right next to it and the 620 sounds great (So I know its not a wiring, plug, or left channel issue). I welcome any trouble shooting help anyone may offer.

Take it apart and see if you have a loose wire. Hook the woofer wires up to another woofer speaker to see if the network passes bass. You may need a new K-1005-K woofer.

Klipsch Home Audio Customer Service
Toll Free: 1-800-KLIPSCH (1-800-554-7724)
Mon - Fri, 8AM - 5PM ET
E-mail: support@klipsch.com

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/kg-4-2-specifications/

I swapped the woofer from the cabinet that sounded good to the one that didn't and now it does. So, the woofer is bad. Looks are deceiving as the woofer looked to be in great condition - the rubber was supple, the voice coil leads were well soldered and the voice coil paper material looked to be new. Out of curiosity, is this a common issue with KG-4.2 woofers? Any ball park on the woofer replacement cost?

• 2 weeks later...

You could always post a wanted ad in the garage sale section...it is amazing what some forum members have "laying around". Sorry to hear about that though...atleast you have your 620s till you can get a replacement (shhh...closet B&W fan here as well haha...my second favorite pair of speakers besides my cornwalls are a pair of DM-602s) Welcome to the forum and good luck!

I was also poking around the forum and it looks like in the past someone at Klipsch may have indicated that a K-1001-K would also be a suitable replacement.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/4165.aspx

There are a pair of these on E-Bay right now in seperate auctions...if the timbre match is good, you might be able to use one of those...if not you could replace both (on of the listed ones has a dented dust cap though)

• 2 weeks later...