Why is losing something we had more obvious than getting something we didn't have?

Ray Garrison

I'm gonna read the above several times, and ponder. It will take a print job.

The present thought is that we're all in the company of good people here, very much so. Thank you for sharing your histories. I've had some dark nights myself.

Gil

Ray is a master of etomolgy. Let me ask a question. Totally off the subject.

If someone is named for an elder, the decendent is called a "name sake". So the we'd say, the name sake did such and such.

What is the term for the elder. I'd like to say to the younger, your (inverse name sake) did such and such.

Gil

Iwillwalk... there was an extended time when that should have been what they called me. My vertebral fractures were compressions fractures with spinal chord involvement... which means crushed to "bone mush" no way to operate... they did not give me much hope for walking again. But I did... eventually.

And when I did, it wasn't a pretty sight... but I did get from place-to-place... and thought myself to be luckyed. After five years, the docs told me that my level of impairment and chronic pain would not improve. Finally, I flew from NYC to visit my son in San Antonio. I walked with canes onto the plane... it seems that the vibratory frequencies of the engine disturbed my damaged spinal chord and I had to be carried from the plane.

Then I really got lucky. A former employee had a son in San Antonio that needed some coaching in business. He brought me to see an acupuncturist of international renown... and one of the finest human beings I have yet encountered. He was a CMD (Chinese Medical Doctor) from Taiwan and also a PhD. who taught anatomy at a nearby university.

He rarely gave a patient more than three treatments and that would be the last of the problem. After the initial examination, he said there was little hope for me... but if I were willing to try... he was. It took 23 session with over 80 needles a session. In the end, I was not only able to stand up straight and be relatively pain free most of the time... but after a year or so of building up my strength... I could play volleyball and tennis again. I was luckyed... because he was skilled.

Iwillwalk, having monitored this Forum for so long, I am sure you, like the rest of us, have seen the same questions come up over and over again. I agree with you that an occasional digression where we allow each other to communicate as the human beings we are... lends a certain character to this board that is rare indeed. I agree that it is a good thing... from time-to-time that board members have the courage to be themselves as people as well as Klipsch aficionados.

And it is particularly nice if we are held in equal respect whether we are rich or poor... have just begun building a Klipsch environment or a couple of dozen Klipsch loudspeakers in the house. It is good that we can laugh at ourselves... and with each other... rather than at each other.

It's nice to know that at any time of the day or night, you can probably find a friend on this Forum... someone to rap with about Klipsch lore or Bose pseudo-characteristics. A world beyond our own four walls that receives our post and replies. The answer is not so important as the fact that some someone who cares is always there.

Knowing a little about a member makes that member a special person in your posting... for as long as ye two shall post. As you know, there are several members in France... but I don't recall one in Morocco. You can probably look up their emails with a "France" specific query in the search engine of the member list.

Iwillwalk, the thoughts of luckyed... and the 24 horns that made him HornEd if only on this Forum... the positive thoughts are with you through the struggle that few Forum members are likely to ever know. By now you know it is your race to win or lose... and that the spirit of "Iwillwalk" is a winning spirit. Keep it up! HornEd the painfully Lucky!

Sorry to go back off topic, but...

Keep your chin up Ray! This thread has meant alot to me as well since I'm in the same boat. Having been in Software Consulting for the last five years and having been laid off 3 times in the last year certainly has been an experience. The last one happened just over a month ago and I'm still looking... The one prior to that put me in a moving van from the Bay Area on my way to my home town of Miami, FL. Things could be better... things could be worse...

I'll tell you what though.. there is a bright side to my situation:

1)Less "work related" stress!

2)More time with my family.. (wife, kid, parrot, german shepherd)

3)And.. more time with my audio gear! :-)

If it weren't for the lack of income and the necessity of finding something, I'd say I felt like I was retired..

JB

PS: I really need to get a job so I can get a bigger place and take my Klipschorns out of storage... (Relying on KSB 2.1's at the moment)

Gil,

Never thought of how to refer to this person.

My little guy is Aaron James named after my Uncle Jim that helped me get summer jobs and taught me how to swim. He lived down the block from us. His only son was 16 years older than me. We spent allot of time together. Thanks for the prompt I need to start teaching him about his deceased great uncle.

I am stumped at the terminology.

While in bed @ 5:30 just as the Mosk is warming up to blast everyone with prayer,(they definitely dont have klipsch in there) singing the one line of that song it comes to me..the band is Cinderella, well at least I got something done last night.(its very hard to sleep in sever pain with no pharmaceuticals but at least now I have a clear head & can focus on my goal)Luckyhorned thanks for the letter I here you like a khorn. Thats why I am here now searching for the right person with the right hands! This is a struggle like few will ever know but one hell of a learning experience plus the chance to look deep inside to find my true being. A word of advice for anyonetake a moment ,stop, listen to your soul, because if you dont God will stop you and make you listen.

William F. Gil McDermott,

Uh, "etymology?"

Anywho, regarding the "opposite" of namesake, the only thing that pops into mind would be the term for the person whose name is or is thought to be the source of the name of something, which is "eponym".

I find it rather odd-sounding to use this in the same way that namesake is used, by saying something like "Romulus, dear, you really must behave, after all you are the eponym of Rome, you know..."

Back to Monster.com...

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System