My new speakers RF83, RC64

MrAlps

great link youthman - i remember following that thread, like many of us were

If you are uncomfortable with putting the tv on speaker, you can always build a box like thingy to house the 64 and put the tv on the box.. but if you do this like pointed out to me the 64 is back ported so make sure the box is not closed at the back.

Good luck, eithway you have an awesome front stage

Yeah, I'm not going to be building a shelf like that - I DO NOT have those kinds of skills!! I have read that thread alread though and it is impressive! I'm also not going to be installing a shelf as I rent and will be moving in 2 years. I'm on the fence about putting the TV on the center speaker. I'm just not sure.

Thanks for all the kind words by the way. I'm super happy with my new purchase. I really never thought I would have speakers like these.

Long Live Klipsch!

Wow, I never realized how deep the RC-64 is! I knew it was wide, that thing is a monster!

One thing I would highly suggest is to set your RC-64 on top the TV stand and then set the TV on top of the RC-64. The 64 will easily handle the weight of your TV and raising is up will do wonders to having the speaker closer to same height as your ears.

Put the TV on top of the 64 you say? That's not a bad idea... I've been thinking how I want it higher. Has anyone else done this? Can anyone think of a reason not do it?

Congrats on your purchase, how big is the room since I had my system in a dorm room that was 10X12 and had good results. Though you might want to have sound dampening material on the walls to prevent echos. I was in a cinder block dorm room that echoed pretty bad but posters and signs helped a lot, a lot more than I thought and I was skeptical.

Also the rc64 is built well, probably can put a CRT tv on top of it without stressing it if you could balance it. But as Wuzzer said, put material inbetween. I say more felt like but make sure it doesn't slide to easily.

Last note, you might want to look into a dedicated amp on your rf-83. I remember my Harmon Kardon two stereo receiver had the power to drive them without problem (claimed 120 watts) but when I switched to the Denon 3805 (claimed 120 watts) the bass disappeared. I realize quickly that the denon could not handle the ohm impedience for the bass (which can dip down to 2.8 ohms at 40 hertz I believe) and thus I was disheartened that the bass was gone. I then got a crown xti 1000 amp and all is well now, even better than the Harmon before.

If you can get it above the TV with a shelf and point it angle it down so it is pointing towards the listening position that will work good. Just make sure it doesn't fall. Some where on the forum is a picture of a guy that did this.

I had mixed results when angling it down. First a 60 pound speaker picking it up over your hear and moving it onto a shelf is dangerous enough but the sound did not "sound" as good as when it is directly radiating at you from ear level. The sound sounded like it was still going over my head even though it was pointed at my face.

Wow, I never realized how deep the RC-64 is! I knew it was wide, that thing is a monster!

One thing I would highly suggest is to set your RC-64 on top the TV stand and then set the TV on top of the RC-64. The 64 will easily handle the weight of your TV and raising is up will do wonders to having the speaker closer to same height as your ears.

Put the TV on top of the 64 you say? That's not a bad idea... I've been thinking how I want it higher. Has anyone else done this? Can anyone think of a reason not do it?

Congrats on your purchase, how big is the room since I had my system in a dorm room that was 10X12 and had good results. Though you might want to have sound dampening material on the walls to prevent echos. I was in a cinder block dorm room that echoed pretty bad but posters and signs helped a lot, a lot more than I thought and I was skeptical.

Also the rc64 is built well, probably can put a CRT tv on top of it without stressing it if you could balance it. But as Wuzzer said, put material inbetween. I say more felt like but make sure it doesn't slide to easily.

Last note, you might want to look into a dedicated amp on your rf-83. I remember my Harmon Kardon two stereo receiver had the power to drive them without problem (claimed 120 watts) but when I switched to the Denon 3805 (claimed 120 watts) the bass disappeared. I realize quickly that the denon could not handle the ohm impedience for the bass (which can dip down to 2.8 ohms at 40 hertz I believe) and thus I was disheartened that the bass was gone. I then got a crown xti 1000 amp and all is well now, even better than the Harmon before.

The room is a very odd shape, so i won't comment on the size, except that I sit about 9-10' from the tv - even though it doesn't look like it in the picture. I am considering some sound dampening material. What do you guys recommend? It would also probably make my neighbors happy too. I'm somewhat friendly with the ones that share a wall with these speakers and they say they have not heard them yet. I guess I'm lucky to have very thick walls and I *think that wall is up against their staircase. Though I am moving in 2 years so I may just hold off till then too.

I WANT a dedicated amp for the 83 though it won't be happening for a while! I am impressed the Onkyo 876 as it seems to do a good job powering the speakers. However, I know a dedicated amp would do better. 2 Channel listening is fine with the bass, though I think I am a bass sensitive person and don't like too much (i know 'too much' is subjective). I have the cutoff set at 50hrtz. For the Onkyo, I can't change the
speaker size per listening mode. So when I'm listening to 2 CH I'm
actually listening to 2.1. I don't really mind that, though sometime I
do change them to full and listen in 2 ch. At that point, the bass is fine, but could be better. As always, the system is a work in progress. What I haven't done yet, is put the speakers to full, but have the double bass off. That is next on the list different configurations.

I have the system set to 4 ohms, is this correct? I have the option of 4, 6, or 8. If I were to bi-wire I would be locked into 4.

As for putting the TV on the center speaker. I haven't done it. I don't think I will either since it will raise the hight of the tv and the tv is in the perfect spot when sitting on the couch. The couch is pretty old and we sink into when we sit. If it were a new couch and still firm, those few extra inches would probably change my mind. But like I said, I'll be moving in the 2 years and we'll get a new couch then, at which point, who knows how I'll be setting everything up.

Wait you have a subwoofer connected to them?

And i realized that it was fine until the fact I got down down to -20 on the receiver. Never noticed until then, how you could suddenly feel the vibration like a buzz on the skin. Also the crown XTI 1000 can be found for 300 dollars used on ebay nad about 400 dollars new. Its a good amp for on the cheap.

4 ohms is correct but I don't know why they lock you into 4 when you bi wire the system which I think is a load of BS. Its purely marketing and less reality if you use good 12 gauge copper wiring to begin with, I use cheap old monoprice. http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm is a pretty good read.

Best of luck