Weird microphone coil problem.

I have a 20w megaphone. I bought it inop. for 5 bucks at a yard sale. It works off D size batteries and those are good. When I pulled the trigger to turn it on I could hear a click but no voice was amplified. I took it apart and measured resistance across the mic's coil which is about 500 ohms. Well I put it back together and it worked! I have figured out that measuring the resistance is applying a DC voltage to the coil and kinda waking it up. So I took it a step further and applyed a 9v battery to the leads momentarily. I could hear the coil react rather strongly. Maybe a 1.5v AA cell would have been better. Anyway, its been working fine now for quite a while. What did I do?

The mic looks like a little speaker with a clear rather flat diaphram instead of a cone.

After I would check resistance across the coil the unit would work right for 5 minutes or so and then I would have to recheck to wake it back up again. Now after doing the 9v deal it continues to work when I try it and several hours have passed. I was thinking maybe something magnetic?

Yeah, I have it down to a science now. Simply touch a 9v battery to the Mics contacts and the thing works great until the next morning. That gives my 5yr old plenty of time to act like extreme home makeover's Ty Pennington. I suspect it has to do with the mic's magnetic properties but I don't know.

You may have something there Prof. Thump. I notice there is pot accessible from the battery compartment just under the mic thats labeled "adj". Maybe I could give it a 1/4 turn clockwise increasing that fwd bias enough to keep the mic working. This unit will do siren, fog, and voice. The siren and fog functions work great consistently. I have not changed the batteries since buying.