Turntable Plinth redsign

kevinmi

Very cool-looking turntable! Did you build it yourself and if you did, what material did you use?

Unusually-shaped plinths are being used by an increasing number of turntable manufacturers because of their improved resonance control, plus the interesting style.

Hi Pat,

I made the plinth from 3/4 inch 5 ply birch plywood. It is 3 layers thick, with each layer oriented about 45 degrees from the other layers so the plies are not all aligned the same. I used 5 ply instead of 11 or 13 ply because I was concerned with better absorbtion properties rather than the rigidity of the added plies. (OK, it costs half as much also) I admit that I "borrowed" the design idea from a John Masangkay designed turntable he did with an AR turntable, featured in Vinyl Nirvana's web page The web owner,Dave, is a well respected member of this community.AR Turntable Vinyl Nirvana Acoustic Research Merrill Thorens For Sale. I actually bought an AR turntable to do this project, but I decided that my JVC was a much better cannidate. I plan on doing some more of these and possibly selling them to help pay for my audio addiction!

How did you get that beautiful finish?

Greg

Rustoleum Apple Red spray and a couple coats of gloss urethane on top. It's not that nice up close, I'll probably re-do in the future. I'm also going to make one from solid oak planks, to match my K-horns. -Kevin

• 1 month later...

Great job.

If you wouldn't mind a quick question,I have a ql5 and would like to replace the tonearm with a rega 250 type arm. My old arm has 2 very tiny black (ground?0 wires in it, which the rega doesn't. Are these necessary with the new arm? If so, where do they go.

Thanks for any help for this beginner.

Steve

Great job.

If you wouldn't mind a quick question,I have a ql5 and would like to replace the tonearm with a rega 250 type arm. My old arm has 2 very tiny black (ground?0 wires in it, which the rega doesn't. Are these necessary with the new arm? If so, where do they go.

Thanks for any help for this beginner.

Steve

Hey Steve,

On mine the two ground wires were: 1, for the motor assembly, and another for the tonearm, since the tonearm isn't connected to the metal motor assembly. You can try out the tonearm without a ground and see if it works. If you get a hum, you'll need to ground the arm. I would just use a wire attached to one of the mounting screws on the tonearm (from underneath). That's all the black wires do-- ground the tonearm and motor chassis to eliminate hum. Connect the ground wires to the back of your Preamp/receiver ground lug and you should be good to go.