A few pics from my summer vacation

Great pics Fender! Love the black and white images. They are awesome. I've been to the Outer Banks of NC a couple of times. Once to Kill Devil Hills home of the Wright Brothers National Monument which itself was pretty cool. Great area to visit.

beautiful shots and an interesting effect. what post process did you do to convert to b/w? there is something different about the style of the images I can't put my finger on but looks so familiar!

I shoot all my images in RAW format....and even though I really love Aperture and its various plug ins, I come back to Camera RAW converter in PS3..... These were all done very quickly and I will go back and reprocess in more detail before I actually print them.

Basically in raw, I'll examine the histograms......I fine tune the exposure, adjusting for any blown highlights or loss of detail in shadows (just like i would do in a wet darkroom with Push/pull processing...and depending on the print I want, I'll adjust the contrast. then I open the file in PS3, add working layer at a time I'll build what i envisioned, by adding adjustment layers, black and white layers, gradients for large scale burning and then I'll dodge/burn the shadows and the highlights, and sharpen with "unsharp Mask"

it's identical to the method I use in a wet darkroom

I shot about 100 keepers on this trip and will probably print 5 or 6 to 30X40...... I'll spend much more time on my big color calibrated monitor, getting everything just right, and do some creative blurring and spot healing of imperfections........ as always I keep the original RaW file stored on a separate drive and work on a copy even thogh most of my techniques are non destructive.

I've been able to produce identical images in Aperture, I just get there a lot quicker in PS because of my familiarity.