Professor Thump - Brickyard 400

BLSamuel

Nice shooting there Thump, I especially appreciate the images from the IMS museum. The museum is open most of the year and if you're around Indy and it's not time for a race, many days you can take a bus tour around the famed 2.5 mile oval. There is a plethora of fabulous racing machines at the museum and even more down in the basement (along with a couple tons of bricks).

Back when I was working for a race team one night they got too many gates closed and the only way you could leave was to take about half a lap to get to another gate. So I've spun a Honda Accord around the track at a whopping 50 mph!

I didn't think I was going to get a discount on anything at the Speedway but it was worth a try

It never hurts to try. And I thought P Thump just came over to say hi to me [:(]. Seriously it was nice to say hi and see someone I knew. An old friend was across the aisle selling food and drinks for her band so that was pretty cool also.

Actually, I was expecting some of the things to cost more. And at least for the ice cream the band my daughter's high school band boosters (I guess I'm now one of them) was selling, by the time they pay sales tax, the group selling it, and the track its cut, there's not as much left as one would think for the vendor who has to pay for the product, all those freezer carts, their people, refrigerated semi for stock, semi for carts, etc... and it was kind of a slow day. I hope they didn't lose money.

Nice pics P Thump! It sounds like you had a fun day. Estimates sound like it was pretty disappointing for ice cream sales. Great day and weather for racing. A bit too nice to really sell ice cream, frozen lemonade, frozen strawberry, lemonade, and pretzels. The pretzels may have done ok as the vendor ran out of cheese.

An awesome day for racing but 5 to 10 degrees warmer and less of a breeze would've helped sales as would've a bigger turnout as the stands near our stands (around turn 3) weren't packed.

So just how loud is it in the stands?

It was pretty loud outside where I spent most of my day but I was under a roof under the stands facing away from the track. It was considerably louder on the other side of the aisle accross from stairs into the stands the few times I was able to venture away from my post.

Silly me forgot to bring hearing protection but wasn't too bad where I was at though when the cars were going by many people just pointed at what they wanted.

Too bad P Thump wasn't a bit earlier and stop in when my daughter's band director was at my stand. He sounds very interested in some Klipsch 'phones so maybe would've increased his interest if I could've introduced him to P Thump. I'm sure he'll be hooked once he tries mine.