HF-81 ? Mobile

NOSValves

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The lettering is embedded, indeed. In fact, they do a very good job of it as it can withstand some serious polishing with no ill effects.

And as long as the plate isn't pitted, one can get it as shiny as new with a combination of Brasso and/or NeverDull. I would opt for the Brasso approach first, as the NeverDull should really be called on if the brass is seriously tarnished beyond normal since it can leave minute scratches that are difficult to see but unavoidable (still, these are VERY slight and the shine from Neverdull can be amazing).

I have polished up several plates and have always gotten them to look new. Some are harder than others but if you got the time and elbow grease, the luster and shine will return while leaving the lettering completely intact.

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-28-2002 at 08:23 AM

The one going off the soonest looks like it could be ok. IF you shine that brass up, paint the chassis satin black, and clean the interior, the damn things look VERY nice. Your dad could have it up and going in no time.

Or this one, which will increase in price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1335594252

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-28-2002 at 09:25 AM

Yea I've been checkin them out but the one about to end will most likely skyrocket at the end. I'm not going to pay $200 or more for a Amp that's missing tubes and who knows what's wrong with it. Hell the trannies could be shot. I'd rather wait and score one on the cheap.

Hey no reply to my little closing remark Wink.gif.

Craig

I will say it's important to at least get a unit with all the knobs and parts. The insides can be cured with very little expense if doing the work yourself. Actually, in the EICO gear, I find the IRON really reliable and rarely the problem. They made the transformers very well back then; this is not to say there is NEVER a problem, just that it is usually not one, just as in your Scott unit. I usually look to the transformers last. Most of the times, it is cleaning (pots and tube sockets), caps, and drifting resistors, all fixes that can be done with some practice and patience. And having help such as your father (and mdeneen) is surely a great start.

As for the EICO vs Scott comparison.... heh... WE'll see.

kh

Mobile

I've come to the conclusion that you have single handedly drove the cost of those HF-81s beyond my reach LOL Wink.gif. I can not believe someone would pay 215.00 for one of those that is missing tubes,not in great cosmetic shape and doesn't have a clue what else might be wrong with it. I just can't drop 200.00 on a Amp that is incomplete and have no Idea what might be wrong with it. The way they are going on Ebay I think I'll just hope I run across one at a yard sale. You can buy Scotts in good working order that don't even require cleaning for that and my 222c sounds awesome !! I'm going to start mods on it soon and see what its really capable of.

Craig

In all honesty, getting it for 200 with a few tubes missing (if that is all) is really not bad at all. I actually had less problems with my totally blind EICO purchases than you did with your Scott. My second EICO had ZERO tubes (but I got it for $100) and the owner had never even powered it up! It was a total blind crapshoot. Of course, it fired up an played as right as rain from the very first time. So far, only one buddy has had a problem with his. Most of my friends have gotten theirs up and running with not much at all.

And in comparison with the big ole Scotts, the HF-81 sounds more open, extended, and to be honest, like a single-ended amp (same family at least) with PP guts! It is the most open and transparent sounding vintage piece I have owned and beat the Fisher and Scott. When you consider you cant get an Aiwa 50w SS junk box for $200, the EICO is a STEAL.

Dont give up the search.

kh

Unfortunately, I think that Cypress unit is going to skyrocket. I'll say a few prayers for you with some speaking in tongues to go along with it... But too many pics and tube identification. The loons will be out of the woodwork. One good thing, there are a bevy of HF-81 floating about. Good luck.

kh

ps- Hey Ripped, why not get the one with the RCA Television knob? Save some ducats and who cares about aesthetics??? heh.... Crazy Cali freak! heh...

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 03-01-2002 at 08:52 AM

Good one mobile. You caught me at my most consistent game, which is being entirely inconsistent. Actually I wanted to get the best one possible so I could pretty much do what you did to yours, which was to bring out the very best of what was essentially inherent. I won't say more lest I further add to the mystique you have created around this unit. Maybe after the auction. Remember I didn't call myself Clipped and Shorn for nothing. Now I won't be any more embarrassed by taking yet another clipping and shearing.

-shipped and chloroformed

-docked and shanghaied

-started and stopped

Mike,

so you noticed.

mostly I feel like a kid in a candy store with something in each hand, chewing on something else, and looking over at what someone else has got that looks good.

Part of this is a build-up from years of thinking I could never explore good audio because all i knew was in the "other" ridiculously expensive room at the audio store. now I see there are alternatives and ways of squeezing out more from affordable gear.

-audjo and awdiyo

Christ! I really need to get back to work.

I wanna be that greedy little kid jonesin' on Candy.

Yes Clipped, this is why I took a shine to tweaking two years ago.

I'm too much of a broke pile to afford that exotic stuff, so I tweak what I have.

There may or may not be any benefits, but it's a fun learning process

I learned a lot, and still have a lot to learn.

Now excuse me while I flop on the floor and do a temper tantrum.

I WANT TUBES!!! BBWWWAHHHH!!!