JUST AN IDEA. MOD AN RF-3 TOWER TO BE USED AS A CENTER

Fast1

Here is an idea some might like. In my mind, I cannot help but think a RF3 might not be ideal as a main but could certainly work well as a center with the larger horn dispersion, 8in drivers, and larger ported cabinet. I might like to see if I can find a cherry wood single so that I can do the mods to it. Since we own a CNC shop here, I would pull the front plate off the cabinet and redeisgn it so the cone drivers are on the outsides and the horn is in the middle. I would then try it but consider looking to change the crossover a bit to a 2.5way but it might work well as such.

If it works well, I would be happy to offer the new face plate if others wanted to try it.

Just thoughts anyway

Those centre speakers with a woofer at each end are not actually the best way to configure a centre speaker, due to comb filtering issues. With RF-7 mains, your best centre speaker is another RF-7.

This image will show you how two horizontally separated sound sources that are producing the same signal will have areas of positive and negative interference, so it's better to have a single source for each sound, as in one woofer, one squawker and one tweeter.

post-23736-13819488844984_thumb.png

I thought this was addressed with the Klipsch 2.5way crossover by giving each driver a different set of frequencies to produce with more overlap than in a typical 3 way system??

Would this problem not be present in all Klipsch centers?

Not all of them. The Heresy was the world's first centre speaker, and it has one of everything. The Cornwall was used as a centre a little later, and it's sort of like a very big Heresy in its configuration. Quite a few folks are using La Scalas for centres, in various configurations, from stock, to stock lying on its side, to split industrials, to 402 JubScalas. That last one is for a really serious setup.

The sideways woofer-tweeter-woofer design is more for packaging convenience than for ultimate sound quality. It's easier to fit under or over a TV than a vertically-oriented speaker, so that's why most buyers go for it.