Direct TV radio in stereo question

Coytee

Other day, I turned a vinyl station on my satellite so I could simply hear the radio for a while.

James Gang's "Walk Away" came on.

If you are familar with this song, there are passages where it's a hard pan left or right on some guitar work.

The left pan solo wasn't working. The left SPEAKER was working, just no guitar solo when it was supposed to be in the left speaker. Almost like they had a mono signal. A mono however, would still come out of the left side.

Was very strange. Made me think I somehow had a right channel on both speakers. Went to my crossover to make sure left was routed to left and right was routed to right (check). Looked on back side of my DTV box to make sure I had L/R RCA jacks plugged in as contrasted with left/left (check)

Stereo works on my CD's so I've no reason to think anything is hard wired wrong. I can't imagine they'd not be able to broadcast in stereo.

Anyone have this happen or have some thoughts on what to look at?

During the guitar solo, it was VERY quiet. I told the wife to listen. Was kind of strange as the room went silent (during what would have otherwise been a hard left pan solo) then when the band came back playing, both speakers perked up again. weird.

Coytee,

I have Classic Vinyl on DirectTV tuned up all the time. I never had any issues with stereo playback but digital playback can get confused from time to time. The quality of that station is not all that great, it's just barely acceptable. Sorry I can't help any more.

Thanx, Russ

Sometimes the TV stations get their left and right mixed up. I was watching Road to Perdition on TV a couple of years ago and was surprised to hear a car drive off the screen to the right while I could see it drive off-screen to the left. I switched back and forth between a couple of stations and it seemed to be a temporary issue with that particular station.

On a related note, I finally got a small digital box for the living room TV, so now I have the program guide at the push of a button, and the other conveniences, but the signal comes in in mono over the RF cable, including the music channels. According to the instructions, if you hook up the box to the TV's Video In connectors with RCA-type interconnects, you should get stereo, but no luck for me whatever way I connected it.

I even had a cable tech come over to see if he could get stereo for me. He hooked up a new box, but it made no difference and his best guess was that the Video 2 inputs on my TV were dead. I listen to TV now in 7-Channel Stereo, which is really 7-channel mono with this signal, but at least all the speakers are working. All the other sources (DVD/CD, turntable, VCR, tuner) work normally with proper stereo sound.

I think the cable company just pushes those digital boxes because it's an easy way to sell video-on-demand movies to the customers.