RW-10d Lowpass setting

archman99

The Heresy may produce some output at 50Hz, but like most speaker specs, that doesn't mean it has flat response right down to that number, so you'll want to set the sub to cut off somewhat higher than that. The goal is to have the sub/Heresy combo give you natural-sounding bass that doesn't sound either anemic or over-exaggerated.

You might want to try 70-90Hz for starters. If there seems to be a hump or peak in the mid-bass, you might have the sub lowpass set too high, but if there's a dip, it's much less obvious.

Have you experimented with different sub locations? It can take a few tries to find the spot that gives the smoothest response with the fewest bass-weak and bass-strong spots in your room.

Let me try and under stand this.... If I set the lowpass at 70. It will allow all the signal that is 70 and below, and omit the ladder? I had it set at 50 and it had a constant hum during movies.(hard to explain) May be a gain issue too. I am waiting delivery of a new Yamaha surround processor.(with a YPAO) Im sure this will help me get the correct balance.

I don't seem to have as much of a problem when listening to music. I reall like the extra push from the sub with the Heresy's I really can't believe I havn't upgraded my sub t'ill now.

I have a lot of reading to do. Still learning!

My current sub position in behind and to the left of the left front.

Thanks

When you get your new receiver, there are the settings for your sub:

Gain set to about 10 to 11 o'clock

Crossover set as high as it can go (usually 120-150Hz). You'll want your receiver to control the subwoofer's crossover. 80Hz will probably work very well with your speakers/sub.

Phase to 0**

Run YPAO to balance the output of the sub with your other speakers.

**Regarding phase, it will be helpful if you sit at your main listening position and listen to some music you're very familiar with that has a good bass beat. Have someone switch the phase between 0 and 180. If one of the two positions sounds louder than the other, choose that one. If they both seem to sound the same set the phase to 0.

While we are on the subject of the RW-10d. does the sub choose a profile according to the signal it recieves from the receiver. I noticed when I was listening to sirius radio through my directv channels and the receiver is set to stereo. Only the 2 front channels have output When I sitched the channel to a directv concert, the sub kicked in. Is that because the signal had a low frequency signal that the sub detected. If so ifthe receiver is set to lets say jazz, will it use the music setting from the sub, and If I switch to a movie or tv will it switch to the sub profile "movie'??

That is correct. The sub is a dumb device and can only switch itself on from standby mode. It won't auto-choose it's own EQ profile: it's the receiver which decides to output a LFE signal to the sub, depending on the input signal channels and/or the surround mode you put it in.

If you select a 2 channel source and the receiver is in stereo or "pure direct" mode (or something similar), your subwoofer will not receive a signal. There is a possibility to get your sub pumping in stereo mode: set your fronts to small in the receiver settings. Your first question was about the crossover setting, so I assume your fronts are already set to small. The crossover has no job if the fronts are set to Large, cause there is nothing to cross (Large=fullrange) :) So set and keep them to Small, crossover to 60 or 80 Hz, depending to what sounds best and.. enjoy :)

Good info. One last question. The sub has 3 profiles Night,Music, and Movie.In each profile you can set the phase,gain,and lowpass frequency. Do I have to manually change the setting if I go from a movie source to a music source?. Or would you keep all the profiles settings identical and a we discussed let the receiver control what it sends to it?

You should keep the lowpass freq in all profiles as high as you can (probably 120Hz), so you are 100% sure the subwoofer does not mess up your receiver's idea of bass management.

Phase should be identical in all profiles as well. I see no reason to change that if you go from music to movie or back. The room and speaker placements both stay the same so when it's set up correctly, leave it just there :)

About the gain settings: I would say.. calibrate your setup with the sub in Music mode. If there exists an EQ-off/"leave the input signal alone" mode on the sub, choose that one.

For the night mode you could lower the gain a bit and for movies raise it up a bit if you prefer so. My thoughts were that the Movie mode boosts sounds in the 50-60Hz range and Music mode boosts the lower <35 Hz end. But maybe I am confused with the RT series controller.. hmmzzz... That's a nice one to check in the manual.

Anyway, I am not the kind of person who would switch his sub every time I go from a movie source to music... Personally I'd set it up right once so it sounds right with both movies and music. I do sometimes adjust the volume a little with that big side mounted volume control, but thats all.. no profiles or so.

Hope this helps a bit. Now I gotta catch some sleep.. It's been past 2:30 AM here in NL haha