Input Power

SLC2TTU

Ok, I am a bit new to this and I am probably sure this question has been asked in some format. I have a pair of RF-5's and The max input on them is 150 W. Now the question is: how does one do this? For instance most receivers have a rating of around 100W per channel and the McIntosh amps that are more than 2 channels put out about 200W per channel. Can someone fill me in?

I believe the RF-5s can handle at least 500 watts maximum input.

Underpowering speakers causes more damage than overpowering them. If you overdrive an amp and drive it into what's called clipping you can easily burn up the tweeter and/or woofer. Having more watts avalailable allows you to listen at louder volumes with less distortion introduced by the amp.

If you can stand being in the room while running 150 watts through your RF-5s you might want to invest in some ear plugs.

Ok, your post seems to have cleared things up for me, but let me get this straight. The amplifier provides extra power to the receiver to aid in the increasing demand for power as the volume increases. Because of this added power it reduces "clipping" in the sound and possible damage to the speakers. Amplifiers do not provide direct power to the speakers only to the receiver. The receiver is what provides power to the speaker so 80W per channel is what you get period. And in order to increase the wattage applied to the speakers you must upgrade receivers. Am I on the right track? I must admit, 80W provided by my Denon makes the RF-5's SUPER loud.

Receivers have built-in amplifiers that power the speakers. The fact that its a receiver refers more to the fact that the unit receives signals from several sources and can switch between them to control what you're listening to. If a receiver doesn't have built-in amplifiers its referred to as a pre-amp. A pre-amp is used with a separate amplifier.

You are correct in the fact that your 80W Denon won't output more than 80 watts, although it probably could with quite a bit of distortion.

Right. I understand what you're saying. I am almost positive the 1709 has a built in amplifier. I believe I am going to have to buy an amp because I have a large area I need to fill and I like having my movies and music playing at decent levels. You wrote earlier that the Rf-5s can handle at least 500W max input. What did you mean bu that?

A receiver contains a tuner (to receive radio signals), a pre-amp (to boost the signal high enough for the power amp), a power amp (to drive the speakers), an input selector (so you can choose your signal source, between CD or DVD player, turntable, TV, iPod, radio, whatever), decoders (for Dolby, DTS, whatever surround formats), plus tone controls (usually part of the pre-amp).

To drive speakers, you need a source, a pre-amp, and a power amp. Some people add an external power amp to their receiver. This would usually be better quality and more powerful than the receiver's built-in power amp, or there would be no point in doing it.

A speaker input rating is a very rough estimate. I don't think that means you can put 150 watts (20-20,000hz) continuous power at them and expect the speakers to last very long (that's a lot of power) but it's a high rating and you could safely use amps with a much higher rating and not occur damage unless you were operating recklessly. The speaker rating is just a rough guide to give you some idea as to their power handling ability. I could be wrong but I don't think there is a standard for how that number is derived.

Thanx, Russ

You might just want to hang around here for a while and try to learn a bit, so you'll have a much better idea of what direction to go with your system. McIntosh stuff is pretty pricey, so you'd want to buy something you'll be happy with for a long time, rather than getting something right away, then asking yourself what you were thinking just a few months from now.

I believe I am going to have to buy an amp because I have a large area I need to fill and I like having my movies and music playing at decent levels

I'm not familiar with the RF series though I know they are not the largest Klipsch makes. Before buying new amps (especially at the price point of McIntosh which I DO believe to be nice sounding amps), I'd investigate spending that cash into larger speakers that will fill your large area with less effort.