With all this talk of tubes and vinyl . . . . .

Allan,

Your turntable looks great. Something similar will be on my get list soon. Right now I'm enjoying my "new" 1968 Sony 5000FW tuner just recently back from Mike Zuccaro's capable hands. After we get moved (in escrow now) I'd like to get together with you for some listening and to pick your brain. In the meantime, why don't you think about attending the next SoCal Horn Group meeting? Just being around Dr. Edgar is great fun. Details will be available on AudioAsylum in the "High Efficiency Speakers" forum. The link is http://www.AudioAsylum.com/forums/hug/ .

Regards,

Chris

------------------

2 channel

Klipsch Cornwalls (1978)

Cary CAD 300SEI amp (WE 300B's, various NOS 6SN7's)

Arcam Alpha MCD cd player

Sony 5000F Tuner (1968)

HT

Klipsch KG2.5 (front & rear)

Klipsch KV2 (center)

Klipsch SW12 (sub)

Marantz SR700 receiver

Toshiba DTS DVD

JVC SVHS VCR

Sony Hi8 VCR

You know, even though the McIntosh approach to tube amps is not my favorite, I have to admit, they made some extremely beautiful amps. Those are EXCELLENT Allan,....really nice. Looks like some good valves employed as well! It's hard to find tables in that condition either. Have you compared this setup to any of the modern varieties? What cartridge are you using?

Nice shots.

kh

The two most "modern" tables I've employed are a 1980's vintage Linn LP-12 and a SOTA, both with a Graham 1.5 arm and a variety of MC cartridges. I used the Linn for about 10 years. I bought the TD-124 becasue is was in such minty-fresh and was CHEAP (less than 100 bucks) and seemed as if it were built to withstand a nuclear blast. I tried a few different arms and cartridges until I hit upon the SME 3012 and the Ortofon SPU GT/E. I found nirvana. I can never go back. The SME/SPU/Thorens combonation hs the most lush, musical midrange I have ever heard. And it's a LIE when people talk about hideous rumble on these old Thorens--all you have to do is put them in a massive plinth and isolate them and they are DEAD QUIET! Perfect for those old Sonny Stitt and Stan Getz records! The problem is that the old SPUs (I have four of them now!!) are expensive (at least $400 used) and they have to be sent overseas to be retipped (another $500). WORTH EVERY CENT!!!!!

Allan,

I emphatically agree when it comes to the 3012/SPU combo. Though my SPU is the 'smallest' of the modern versions it certainly plays most beautifully.

Which pre-amp/phono stage are you using?

Wolfram

BTW: I also love the looks of those MC tube amps (though I am satisfied with my 300B Cayin and won't need to start saving again...unless I a real bargain comes my way -which isn't very likely considering the status of MC gear).

And yes, more pictures, please!

------------------

Khorns, tubes and a suitable room: Welcome to aural paradise!

System:

1973 Khorns with ALK crossovers

REL Stadium II sub

Cayin 743 D integrated tube amp

McIntosh MR 77

McIntosh MCD 7007

Thorens 520S

SME 3012-R

Ortofon SPU Classic GM E

Cyrus aEQ 7 phono stage with PSX-R power supply

Alternative system:

Quad ESL 63

McIntosh MC 2105

McIntosh C29

I am a confirmed Mac-aholic. I have owned literally SOCRES of vintage tube amps and preamps and integrateds and receivers and tuners. etc. (Fisher, Scott, Eico, Pilot, Bogen, Sherwood, Marantz, Dynaco,

Harmon-Kardon and McIntosh--and maybe I left some out!)

I know MAC doesn't have the reputation among vintage tube-tweakers that many of the others enjoy, but I have listened to them all and fooled around with most and I always go back to McIntosh--especially the MC-30.

I return to MAC the same way I return to Cornwalls--the MACs just do everything right for my ears. I just finshed listening to "Leroy Walks," an original deep-groove Contemporary LP and everyting from the snap of Frank Bultler's snare to the sharp attack of Conte Candoli's trumpet to the authority of Leroy Vinnegar's walking bass lines is so damn beautiful and RIGHT that it still sends chills down my spine and I've owned this record for about 30 years!

My preamp is a McIntosh C-22 with Mullard CV4004 tubes (mil spec 12AX7--box plate, 1960's vintage--the best preamp tube in the world IMO).

It's all a matter of opinion--I respect those who prefer the sweeter Marantz sound or Eico or Scott or whatever--to each his own--they're ALL good--I just like the way the tube-rectified MACs sound above all others!