Bigger punch? RSW-10D or RW-12D

AUGIE

I own an RSW-10d and my buddy has a RW-12d. I think the RSW-10d definitely has more punch with music with it's stronger amp and ultra-high-excursion active and passive woofers. Based on the specs, the RW-12d will play a little louder at 30hz but you will have some port noise contributing to that volume. With that said, you might like it better for movies. FYI, the woofers on the RSW-10d are the same as those on the RT-10d.

Bill

If you can get a good deal on one, I would try the RT-12d (now discontinued). I'm not sure about your price range, but if you find the right dealer closing it out, it runs $1200-$1600 (mine was $1400 as a display, but I got it in a package deal with sealed RS-62s thrown in for half off msrp!); with the recession on going, smaller dealers are hurting and willing to deal if you have cash. A smaller dealer may have also bought their stock before the price increase of the reference series, so they are willing to deal if you make a reasonable offer.

It's the best sub I have heard at any local shop. Very nice construction too, although I think the grill clips could have been better designed. I noticed a huge difference is accuracy over the 15" Cerwin Vega it replaced. I haven't ran any tests with RoomEQ yet, but I suspect the response is as advertised:

Specifications

FREQUENCY RESPONSE 19-120Hz +/-3dB
AMPLIFIER POWER FTC rated power: 800 watts continuous @ <2% THD
Dynamic power*: 2000 watts
MAXIMUM ACOUSTIC OUTPUT 120dB @ 30Hz 1/8 space, 1m
DRIVE COMPONENTS Ultra high-excursion 12" (30.5cm) Cerametallic cone, front-firing woofer
Dual ultra high-excursion 12" (30.5cm) Cerametallic cone, rear-firing passive radiators
AMPLIFIER BASH® digital hybrid
ENCLOSURE TYPE Bass-reflex via dual rear-firing passive radiators
INPUTS L/R line-level RCA jacks, USB 2.0
OUTPUTS L/R line-level RCA jacks (pass thru)
HEIGHT 18.75" (47.6cm)
WIDTH 24" (61cm)
DEPTH 21.75" (55.2cm)
WEIGHT 71 lbs (32.2kg)
FEATURES DCS control and feature set w/ 5 system presets and Adaptive Room Correction
FINISHES Cherry or Black Ash wood veneer
VOLTAGE 110/120 VAC 60Hz
EXPORT VOLTAGE 220 VAC 50/60Hz
BUILT FROM 2006

The rw-12d is highly UNderated in my opinion. The size, performance, price, and finish of the rw-12d makes it really hard to beat. I have had a sub-12, mfw-15, and an rsw-15 in the exact same spot as the rw-12d, and none of the aforementioned were as good at every aspect of hi-fi/HT as the rw-12d. Yes, the rsw line will be more 'accurate' in bass response, but the output suffers due to the passive radiator. The rw would belt out <30hz stuff that could not even have been produced with the rsw. Of course, that is just my two cents...