RF-62 question

tiomiguel

I am thinking about purchasing a couple of RF-62. They willl be driven by a HK-980 in a two channel system. I can NOT hear them before purchasing, so I make these IMPORTANT QUESTIONS:

1) Is HK-980 enough for driveng these speakers?

2) ¿what about DEEP bass in this speakers? ¿DOES RF-62 provide DEEP bass? deep bass IS NOT "a lot of bass" or 2 very stronf MID-BASS" i say DEEP bass.

PLEASE, HELP.

• Moderators

Question 1 - The HK 980 is 80w x 2. I had an HK AVR55 (55 watts/ch) and it drove my RF-83's very well. It sounded phenomenal for 2ch listening. Only problem was that when I cranked it REALLY loud, the vocals became harsh, probably due to the amp clipping. I believe the HK 980 would push them just fine.

Question 2 - Nope. I do not think you will ever experience "DEEP" bass with the RF-62's. It's a matter of physics.

The RF-62's will go down to 38Hz.
The RF-82's will go down to 33Hz
The RF-63's will go down to 30Hz
The RF-83's will go down to 29Hz

If you want really deep bass, you need a sub. My Velodyne HGS15 drops down to 18Hz. A good sub will pick up where your main speakers cannot.

• Moderators

Not without a sub. Sorry.

If I were you, I would locate a Klipsch dealer close to you that has the RF-62's to demo. That's really the only way that you can know. My bass needs and yours might be two totally different things.

Anyone else have an opinion about this?

OK. I want to know if these speakers provide bass enough WITHOUT a SUBWOOFER.

As Youthman said, the RF-62's go down to 38hz. You have to decide if that is low enough. I have the RF-63's and they go to 30hz. Even though they sound fine in just 2 channel without a sub, they sound better with one. Using a sub doesn't tax the amp so much so a cleaner signal will arrive to your towers.

Bill

Question 1 - The HK 980 is 80w x 2. I had an HK AVR55 (55 watts/ch) and it drove my RF-83's very well. It sounded phenomenal for 2ch listening. Only problem was that when I cranked it REALLY loud, the vocals became harsh, probably due to the amp clipping. I believe the HK 980 would push them just fine.

Question 2 - Nope. I do not think you will ever experience "DEEP" bass with the RF-62's. It's a matter of physics.

The RF-62's will go down to 38Hz.
The RF-82's will go down to 33Hz
The RF-63's will go down to 30Hz
The RF-83's will go down to 29Hz

If you want really deep bass, you need a sub. My Velodyne HGS15 drops down to 18Hz. A good sub will pick up where your main speakers cannot.

But the RF-52's supposed to go to 34Hz...

Specs are just that, specs. As advised, you should listen to them somehow before buying. And I second that people have different bass or sound hearing than others.