Do you really think these sold for a $1000 a pair new?

Colin---I heard lots of big Sansui and Pioneer speakers that GIs brought home in the 60s and 70s and they were pretty good speakers. The drivers were very well made as were the boxes. Japanese speakermakers were modeling themselves after JBL, one could do worse. Big Sansuis sounded much better than "normal" American hi-fi speakers of the time; junk like AR, KLH, Dahlquist, Advent, EPI etc. I wouldn't mind having a pair.

Mike, I think he is saying the original price listed in the bluebook was $1000. Not hard to believe since the top o the line Rack Shack speakers in 1979, Mach line, with real walnut veneer and 15" woofers was @ $400/ea. I know, that was my first job at 16, YEAH!cwm15.gifhttp: //search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&query=mach&categoryid=&ht=1&category1=1497&maxRecordsPerPage=100&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&BasicSearch=

This message has been edited by SOUNDJUNKIE on 03-02-2002 at 12:06 AM

These were VERY expensive when new and the $1000 sounds about right. The high-end Sansui stuff, both speakers and electronics was VERY high quality in the late 60's through the late 70's.

As far as how they sound? Nothing like a Klipsch, that's for sure. But crappy? No. Just WAAAAY different! Pump about 200 Solid State watts into them and blast some good-old-fashioned rock and roll through them and I'll be they'll rattle the windows before they distort. I'll bet they sound pretty lousy with tubes and jazz, however.