KG 2.2 power ratings-- When is it too much power?

carbon summit

I'm thinking about using my KG 2.2s as my right and left surround speakers in my 5.1 setup in place of the Forte IIs I've got back there now for space reasons.

I'm using a Emotiva XPA-5 for an amp which is rated at 200 watts RMS x 5 and the KG 2.5s are rated at 75 watts maximum continuous (375 watts peak).

I'm thinking that having clean power is better than underpowered system and I should be fine but I thought I'd ask here to make sure I'm not going to fry my little buddies!

My KG 3.5s are only rated at 65 watts continuous/325 peak and I've never worried about the 110 watts the Marantz is rated for.

Unless you listen at insanely high levels you'll be fine.

By the way, I'll be heading out your way soon! Going to surprise the wife with a mini-vacation to Rapid City/Badlands.

There's rarely as much power sent to surrounds as there is up front. I use Heresy as surrounds with the big boys up front, so the Heresy need a boost of 6 dB or so relative to the front. It's never been a problem. You should be fine.

My KG 3.5s are only rated at 65 watts continuous/325 peak and I've never worried about the 110 watts the Marantz is rated for.

Unless you listen at insanely high levels you'll be fine.

By the way, I'll be heading out your way soon! Going to surprise the wife with a mini-vacation to Rapid City/Badlands.

Let me know when you head this way. I wish you'd have come before I sold my house. I was really happy with the sound of my set up. I'm renting a house now that has a small livingroom (hence the reason for the 2.5s coming into play) and the sound isn't as good if you had time to stop by and say hi.

There's rarely as much power sent to surrounds as there is up front. I use Heresy as surrounds with the big boys up front, so the Heresy need a boost of 6 dB or so relative to the front. It's never been a problem. You should be fine.

I was more worried about when I listen to music on 7 channel (5 in my case). Overall I was pretty sure I'd be OK but I wanted to hear it a few times to put my mind at ease!