Which speakers to get F3 or RB 81

cyberimage

HI

Im thinking of replacing my KG4's for my fronts for my new surround system

I like them for classical music but they are not as accurate or bright or have as much punch as the newer Klipsches

it would seem... I have a chance to get some used synergy F3 's for cheap around $350 a pair

or some RB 81's for fronts for the surround

I heard 2 people who have the synergy III F2's tell me they are not happy with them and they sound thin

and weak compared to the Reference series speakers both floor and bookshelfs

which has me concerned..

I was leaning to the SYN III F3's until I heard this,,

Am really I better off getting a Reference Series

like the RF 35 or RF 52 Floors or the RB 62's or RB 82's Books and are they that much cleaner and better

or will the F3 be fine and those 2 people just FOS ? lol

IE-- is the reference series floors or even its bookshelfs that much better sounding that the

F synergy series , seems to me the internals are the same crossover etc and its just the woofers materials

and other slight differencesin construction mats that should not make that much difference between similiar

models in the 2 lines

so WHICH WOULD YOU GUYS CHOOSE for movies and general digital playback in a room that is 15 x 15 feet

my current setup is as follows I choose each speak type and brand for its position and what its best known for

KG 4 fronts

RC 62 center

B & W Bookshelf SIDE surrounds (expensive)

Klipsch S2 Rear Surrounds

VELODYNE 12" front SUB

B & W 6" REAR Mini Sub

my budget is limited to around $450 which means slightly used speakers but that is OK

as you can get very expensive Klipsches used for under $500

thanks for the help [:D]

C-

Welcome to the forum.

While the F-3's are by no means junk, the ref. series are of better quality all across the board. If you prefer towers over bookshelves, consider the used market. Post where you are located(near city,state) so the forum members can help in finding something in your area. Take a look at this:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1255463627&/Klipsch-RF-82-Black-8/10-with-

Bill

thanks

well being in LA CA there is no shortage of klipsch around here,, lol

thing is, its hard to believe that the BOOKSHELF RB 61/81 woudl sound better than

the SYN F3's as the F3's have so much more cabinet to resonance with and make more SPL

and more bass etc.. always thought floors would sound better than bookshelfs

but you think that the reference say RF35 or R52 or 62 would sound alot better than the

SYN F3's ?

also what do you all think of DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY, Im a klipsch man but I found a great price

on these MYTHOS 4's like $300 ea

http://www.definitivetech.com/Products/Series/MythosSeries.aspx

and they have 4 5 inch woofers, with 2 passive radiators and a tweeter in all aircraft aluminum and glass cabinet for rigidity HOME THEATER MAG and HDTV Mag both say they sound like $5000 + speakers

let me know

thanks

thanks BILL

so do you really thing that if I get the SYN F3's for L R and use my RC 62 center it will sound that different

even thought they are all Klipsch and a sister line.?

Granted the RB 81 will match the RC 62 in that its a same line

dont you think that the SYN F3's would really give alot more sound.. and considering the center is

really for dialog mostly wouldnt I be better off with more sound and better sound from the L R

F3's even though it may sound evey so slightly different than the center RC 62

and isnt that a good tradeoff than to compromise more on the LR and get RB81 's with less sound

even though they will match the center slightly better, seems as its kinda a draw or maybe

60/40 toward the F3

I can always get a matching center as they are the cheapest speakers,

so bottom line, forget the center I have for a sec = would you get for L R Home THEATRE

RB 81 or F3 if you could get them for exact same price?

thanks man for your insight

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR HELP AND ADVICE

I ended up getting ( no hate mail please) lol

a 9 monthh old pair of KLIPSCH RF 82 Towers from original owner for $499 for the pair..

Yes you read that right,,, why I like living in California lol

insane deal.. sounds amazing in BEDROOM

now I need to sell the spare KLISPCH KG 4's I have that I have almost never used as they were in a spare bedroom

thanks again.. all I can say is , glad the democrats have scared everyone into panic about the economy unnecessarily

or speakers deals like the one I got would likely not have happened

:) lol

now I will look like that maxell commercial when the guy is listeing to his stereo with his face and hair being blowin backwards.

peace

C

not sure what you mean by disregard, I was just asking for your insight on some issues lol

the fact that I just got some almost new RF 82's for $499 makes me happy

so happy I can disregard your disregard lol

in the end I always seem to do ok and get a great lucky opportunity..

[st] so you didnt rain on me

not sure what you mean by disregard, I was just asking for your insight on some issues lol

I think Bill H's "disregard" means that he started to post but changed his mind.

the fact that I just got some almost new RF 82's for $499 makes me happy

No hate mail from any of us. $499.00 for an almost new pair of RF-82's is sweet. If you were to decide on the Def Tech's you might have received hate mail(just kidding). We all appreciate good sound and good deals. Did you get the pair of 82's from the C-list ad I posted?

Bill

• 1 year later...

I have listened to all 3 synergy floorstanding speakers. Also listened to the RF82, RF62, RF52, RF83, RF63, and the RVX-54's. They all sound great let me say that up front. You almost can't go wrong with any of those.

That being said...I would go with the cheapest pair you can find that match your receiver/amp (meaning power for power). No point in getting a 100 watt speaker if you can push 150 watts with your amp ya know. I personally like the looks of the synergy series the best. I just recently moved into the F3's and I love them. Slightly more bass from them vs the F2's I was running. Although with a good sub that won't matter that much I think. I don't have a quality sub right now so that's next.

It's nice to look at specs for some things like RMS power and size. Don't get caught up in the numbers/upgrade game based on specs though. Listen to the speakers yourself. Try to make sure it's all the same baseline (like maybe purchase than return if your not happy) or go to a local shop that carries the reference series and listen to them all. maybe my ears are not as highly trained as others on this forum...but I just don't agree that all RF series speakers are better then the Synergy series. I can't speak to the larger classics like horns and Lascala's as I have never listen to them (would love to though). Let your own ears decide for you. It's so hard sometimes (especially when internet shopping) to decide. We get caught up in tech specs and try to justify a higher priced speaker. But higher priced doesn't always mean "sounds better".

You got a good deal. Last weekend i picked up a pair of one year old RF82's and two new in the box never opened RS42's for $650.

CHASLS2,

You got a good deal. You should be very pleased with your purchase. The RF-82's new are the cream of the crop in the Ref. line for price/performance ratio. The deal you got makes them even more so. You pretty much got the RS-42's for free.[Y][:D]. Enjoy.

Bill