Upgrade Path Recommendation (help me tame my franken-system)

sburgoon

Okay, I'm new here, but figured this was the place to go for advice. I currently have a hometheater consisting of 5.1 setup, RF-35s, RC-35, two Monitor Audio S2's for rears and a polk audio psw650 (dual 10 inch active woofers) for a sub. I'm trying to get he quality level up to the level of my office 2-channel system, where I have a couple of Dali Mentor speakers. My problem with the ht is, aside from the mismatches, the RC-35 kind of seems to not be in the same class as the RF-35s (honestly it seems to sound better with the center turned off, dialog is much clearer that way).

Aside from the center channel issue, the sub is only so-so (decent for home theater, bad for music), and I want to reclaim the rears (which are actually pretty nice bookshelves) for a bedroom system eventually. As far as cost, I'm not really concerned with total cost (my goal is to get what I want, not what I can afford), I will just be spreading the purchases out over more time the as things get more expensive.

The current plan I'm looking at is to buy either a set of rf-83s or rf-63s (my local dealer is offering me some decent deals, which after all the discounts it would put the rf-83s at $700 more for a pair than the 63s), more the rf-35s into rear duty (I don't have room for a 7.1 system, the couch is against a wall), and then run in 4 channel mode, with a phantom center (center off on the reciever side). Then, down the line I would buy the RC-64 and a sub, depending on if I even need it at that point (the room I'm in right now isn't huge, and the polk is servicable for ht use, and I'm guessing the rf-83 probably doesn't need any help for music).

So... any thoughts? I know traditional ht logic is, get the upgraded center channel first, then expand out, at least I've read that before, but it seems like a waste to put an RC-64 in with the rf-35s. Also, any opinion on how well the rf-35s will work as surrounds? I've never had real surround speakers before, and it's hard to audition the dispersion effect outside of your own home, so I'm not sure what the better move is. Also, the cost difference between the rf-63 and 83 is basically the cost of an rw-12... so would the rf-63 + the 12 inch sub be better than the rf-83 with a less spectacular sub, or vice versa?

Oh, and finally, a description of the room. It's very wide, but not deep. Probably 15 feet deep, and 30 wide. The seating area is on the back wall, the TV is on an opposite wall that separates the kitchen area. To the immediate right and left of the TV wall are big openings for the entryway/hallway and dinning room which means the fronts are going to be, at most, 6-8 feet apart (not sure if that makes a center more or less important).

Anyway, suggest away! Thanks in advance.

-Sean

My problem with the ht is, aside from the mismatches, the RC-35 kind of seems to not be in the same class as the RF-35s (honestly it seems to sound better with the center turned off, dialog is much clearer that way).

So... any thoughts? I know traditional ht logic is, get the upgraded center channel first, then expand out, at least I've read that before, but it seems like a waste to put an RC-64 in with the rf-35s.

Stick with traditional logic. I think it would be a waste to upgrade your LF and RF and pair them with a center that, by your own admission, can't keep up with your current fronts. You're going to make matters worse if you upgrade the fronts before your center. Go for your center channel upgrade first, you'll immediately be glad you did. Secondly, get the best sub you can afford when you're ready for your next upgrade. Those 2 speakers will make or break your HT.

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. So if I decide to upgrade the center first, do you think I should go all the way for an rc-64, or get a 62? I know the tweeter on the 64 is the one that matches the 63/83 towers, but for the size room it seems like the 64 could be overkill. So that leads me to another option...

I could also just keep the rf-35 towers for now in the front, and get a center, surrounds and sub to match. I could get the rc62 center, 52 surrounds and 12 inch sub probably for the cost of just the rf-63s... maybe that's my best option, and then down the line grab better floor standers for music. Is there a big sound quality difference between the 64 and 62 center or is it mostly for filling a large room with sound? I don't really ever play them too loud (which is one of the reasons I love the klipsch horn designs, they still sound good at low volume). I guess the real question is, if I'm ever going to buy the 63/83 towers, would the 62 match them at all, or would I just be kicking myself for not getting the 64?

Anyway, thanks again!

-Sean

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums. It's easy for us to say bigger, more expensive is better. I have demoed the RC-62 (which is a fine speaker) but it really is not in the same league as the RC-64. The RC-64 is by far the clearest, most detailed center I have heard. I had some friends over tonight and I put it on 2ch and set the receiver to Pure Direct. My friend wanted to know where my sub was cause it was really kicking. I opened the panel in the false wall and told him it wasn't even turned on. He was in shock that I had that much bass coming from just the RF-83's. Six 8" woofers puts out some crazy bass by themselves. I absolutely love them.

If you think that you will one day move to the RF-63 or RF-83, the RC-64 is the only choice in my book. I think you will find the RC-62 will not be able to keep up with them just as your current center cannot keep up with your fronts.

If you are looking for clarity in your dialog, go for the RC-64. It will take your movie experience to the next level.

Well, I wussed out and got the rc-62. I listened to it with the rf-83's and I couldn't find any fault with it (I'm sure the rc-64 is better, I just couldn't see any problem with the 62, so I figured why even open that can of worms, considering it was going to cost me about $600 more). I was just going to buy the 62 and the rw-12 sub, but the manager of the store turned on his sales-charm and I ended up walking out with rf-83's and the rc-62 (he gave me almost as good a deal as I could find at shady liquidators online, plus it was brand new, sealed box from an authorized retailer). My current sub isn't terrible, and since the 83's can handle all the base over 35hz, it should be fine for a while, and the 83's just sounded to good (I really enjoy 2 channel music, probably more than home theater). So I'll be hooking them all up (with my rf-35's as rear speakers) later tonight.

Thanks again for the advice. I know I wussed out on the 62 vs 64, but worst case, in a year or two I'll sell the 62 and upgrade. At least now I know I have fantastic towers, and my main room will finally beat my office for music :) Those Dali's may have crazy ribbon super-tweeters, but they can't hang with the bas from the 83's.

-Sean

• Moderators

You don't have to please anyone but yourself. As long as you are happy with the results, doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks. As I stated before, the RC-62 is a great speaker, the RC-64 just takes HT to a new level. I picked mine up when Klipsch was selling their cherry RC-64's for just under $600. It was a deal too good to pass up.

I know I wussed out on the 62 vs 64, but worst case, in a year or two I'll sell the 62 and upgrade

I had the RC-62 with a pair of RF-63's for a little over a year. I felt that they sounded fine together. Then I took advantage of 6ave.com's "name your price" promotion and plugged in $575.00. Five minutes later and an email from 6ave accepting my offer. $575.00 delivered with no sales tax from an authorized Klipsch dealer. What a difference in every way. I did do an A-B comparison and the 64 won hands down. Now I am not saying the 62 is a dud by any means, I am just emphasizing that the 64 is definitely an upgrade.

Bill

PS

6ave is currently having another "name your price" promotion this Labor Day weekend.

Well, the rf-83's are beautiful, and I'm really happy so far. The bass seems a little weaker than expected, but that could be either the fact that they haven't been run-in yet, or that the denon avr989 I have powering them is probably under-powered. I'll be upgrading to an emotiva a little down the line. The only problem is, one of the rf-83's came with a chip on the back right corner of the top veneer (no cabinet damage, but there is about a quarter-half and inch of the veneer missing completely. That kind of sucks. I'll call the store tomorow, anyone else ever had a similar problem? I'm hoping they can just come out and put new veneer on, or at least do it at the store, because sending this thing in for such a small issue would be really irritating :(

-Sean

• Moderators

Hate to hear abou the damage. That does stink. I somehow doubt they will be coming out to fix it. Probably will have to take it to the dealer and have him ship it back to Klipsch. Just my guess.

I'm surprised at the lack of bass you are experiencing. Acoustics plays a lot with speakers. My last house, the speakers did not have a wall behind them so there was almost no bass. I temporarily added a QSC amp (265 watts/ch) and it totally helped improve the bass. We moved and now have them in my dedicated theater room and there is plenty-o-bass. [:D]

Oh, I don't mean no bass, just less than it got in the show-room. The bass still sounds amazing, just not quite as chest-thumping, though biamping using the amp assign on my denon helped too.

As for the damage, I'm actually just hoping klipsch will send me a little veneer patch (I'll call them up on Tuesday). It's a small chip, and if it wasn't for the contrast between the mdf and the veneer (basically black and white) you'd never notice. If they can just send me a small patch of veneer I'll cut a tiny piece to fit, glue that sucker down and call it a day. Not like I plan on selling these any time in the foreseeable future, just don't want it to stand out as much as it does ;)