Taking my wife on a surprise vacation

wuzzzer

I forgot about the 5cent coffee lol

Wall Drug is just 51 miles east of Rapid City along the interstate. Worlds largest drug store with lots of cool stuff. I used to cut wheat there each year during the Sturgis rally. It never failed my truck drivers would always call and say they are held up in town for a while lol I know what they was doing :-)

Getting closer to vacation time. I asked my wife where she wanted to eat on vacation and she said "I don't even know where we're going!" I told her I had to tease her a bit about it. She said she doesn't want me planning anymore surprise vacations. [:)]

I thought you were going to say..................you were suprising her with a "Speaker Road Trip", Vacation !

Enjoy. Take some Pictures...............

I wish. I should really scour the Rapid City craigslist and see if I find anything interesting...[6]

don't forget custer national park

Actually, it's Custer State Park, and that whole area is beautiful. Mt Rushmore is in or close to the park.

This gives the very interesting story behind the Black Hills Expedition. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Custer's_1874_Black_Hills_Expedition Custer was highly regarded by his mentor, Phil Sheridan (then the LtGen of the army, second only to 4-star Gen. Sherman), and logically entrusted with running the expedition. True to his usual form, as opposed to today's demonized form, Custer did what he was charged with doing, was above reproach in the way he treated the few Indians he met, and lost no one in the process even though they were in Sioux and Cheyenne territory. Those were very tough times, as they had to travel over Indian trails by horse and wagon train, unable to communicate back East by telegraph.

As the writeup says, the expedition sowed the seeds of the Little Bighorn 2 years later.

Below is one of the famous Illingworth pics. It's stunning to see in 3-D in a stereopticon -- those claws really stretch out and will make you jump just to see them. Each of the individuals in the pic has an interesting story; the one over Custer's left shoulder was Pvt. John Noonan, who had a VERY interesting marriage -- see http://zagria.blogspot.com/2008/03/mrs-noonan-1878-army-wife.html.

260px-Custers_Bear.jpg

This advertises a book by a local photog who took pics a few years ago that came as close as possible to the famous STEREO pics taken by Illingworth on the Custer Black Hills expedition. It's only interesting if you're interested: http://www.custerstrail.com/.