2005 Klipsch Sub 12 Inop

Porschetech

Hello- new to the forums and have a tech question. I looked through the forums to see if there was any data on my problem and i didn't find an answer so here goes. I purchased a Sub 12 in 2005 new from Best Buy- have been super happy with it. It is being used in conjunction with a Yamaha YSP1 and a 42 inch Olevia LCD- no other audio hardware. The other day i realized the sub wasn't working. The YSP1 still works well however i don't know 100%if the subwoofer output is working or not as i have no way to test that. The YSP1 is confirmed still set to sub-out in the menu. The sub is powered up, blue light on in front, rear switch is in ON position. I also ran the rca cable directly to the TV sub output and to a stereo sub output and still the sub does not function with either of those alternative outputs. The RCA cable has been used in the red line-in jack at the rear of the Sub for as long as i have had it. Also tried another audio cable and ohmed out the cable being used prior. Ohmed out fine on the shielded portion and primary. If the cable is slightly removed from the Yamaha, there is a very slight tone sound but not significant. I figured i would take out the amp/crossover assy to ck for solder problems but am not certain of the removal procedure. I have no repair manual for this unit. There are screws all the way around the perimeter which i have removed but i would like to know which of the center fasteners need to be removed if any (or all?). Any little things i should know during disassembly? (powered down and unplugged obviously). Is the metal rear plate glued as well as fastened? On reasembly should it be sealed with something specific if originally sealed? Either way, if there is no solder joint failures i guess i would need the amp/crossover assy anyway and its only 165.00 from Klipsch so the assy will have to come out one way or the other. Any thoughts, repair procedure or tips would be greatly appreciated.

That "fix" is still working without a hiccup. The perimeter screws are the only ones that fasten the amp to the box. You may have to get something to pry up the edge of the plate to get it to come, if memory serves me right there is a very thin gasket type material on the box that can kind of stick to the plate a little.

Thanks for the replies- the front plate was just stuck on pretty hard. It did come off and i tried duplicating the fix above, wiggled all the connections, power supply, auto/on connection and switch and pushed on the circuit board from different angles however it has not made any difference. I checked the switched primary power from the wall connector all the way to the circuit board for continuity and 110v and power/ground is fine. Also checked continuity from the auto/on switch to circuit board and that tested fine as well as good continuity from the circuit board to the driver pwr/grnd. Any one know of any other tests i can make before ordering a new assy? With the unit on or off? I don't see any flakey solder joints or burn spots though there are a couple of spots that have a bit of the whitish oxidation powder residue. Since there is no schematic i am uncertain of their purpose/significance at those spots.

• 2 weeks later...

Klipsch SUCKS. I ordered the amp/crossover assy last wednesday. Didn't get a tracking number by email. Rechecked the email with my order info Friday AM and in addition to not finding a tracking number there, i did find that the description for the part was for a sub-10. So i called to see what the deal was. They screwed up and (1), it didn't ship (of course it would have been the wrong number anyway) and (2)they def ordered the wrong part. Turns out the correct part number for the sub 12 is $4 more- no big deal but they were not appologetic for either mistake and were not interested in helping me out with expidited shipping (since i would have ordered it 3rd day if there were the possibility i wouldn't get it this week). So they charged me the additional $4 ($164.00 total) and assured me it would ship Friday since it was before noon. I decided to ck this morning since, the second time, no tracking number email. I am now informed that the Sub-12 parts are on backorder and won't be in for a couple of weeks (no firm time-table though. Could be 2 weeks, maybe 3, who knows- its coming from China). The guy was not very helpful and was not willing to expidite the order when it comes in either. I can't get the parts anywhere else obviously. Wondering when they were going to let me know the parts were on backorder? There only response was that they can refund my money but i'd still be stuck with a non-operable sub. Am i out of line in being a little pissed here? Their customer service sucks and i doubt i'll buy another Klipsch product even though i have always been pleased with the hardware. How can a company of this size not have spare parts stock for an integral component like this anyway.

As a former I.T. guy speaking ... mistakes happen, quoted time frames almost always have to be adjusted, and everyone has "off" days. I've never actually ordered from them or needed to work through support issues so I can neither defend or condemn their actions. In any case ..sometimes you're just going to have a bad experience. Often times customers put HUGE expectations on the shoulders of support staff and fail to realize that these guys are still only human.

someone else can have my soapbox now ..

As a former I.T. guy speaking ... mistakes happen, quoted time frames almost always have to be adjusted.

Agreed, however the attitude of the person you talk to can go a long way toward making a customer happy even if they have no control over the circumstances. I've had "less than stellar" experiences with Klipsch front line call handlers in the past but always seemed to end up eventually with someone who could actualy help me. I'd e-mail Amy (forum administrator) and ask for advice. She's VERY helpful. If she can't handle your situation she can normally get you going in the right direction.

As an aside, posting that this or that manufacturer "SUCKS" on their own forum is normally not the best way to receive help from said manufacturer. I'm assuming you ARE looking for help as opposed to just venting aren't you? JMHO

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, though the price is def better than Klipsch, JR can't actually verify whether they have it in any of their vendors warehouses or not. Only way to find out is to place the order and you'll know in 4-6 bus days if it's avail. Pos. back in close to the same position. If anyone knows where i can find a new unit thats avail to ship i would gladly go that route.

In answer to whether i was just venting or not, probably a little bit and i may be somewhat demanding from time to time but the customer service was terrible IMO. 2 diff reps, neither of which could tell me the part was on backorder and both assuring me the part would ship w/in 1 day (same day on the second call in). I would have had a different attitude if they had just been able to tell me up-front. As it was, i had to find out for myself. That puts me off. I will probably just go buy another new unit. I found one for $150 off retail @ $350.00 (i paid full retail at Best Buy when i bought my current unit for $500 a few years ago. lol!) Any one need a good used housing and/or driver? :D