Denon receiver problem with my Klipsch system...please help.

CS_Seal

So guys, I spent 12 hours mounting and concealing my speaker/wires and
tv/cables. It looks beautiful, except I can't do anything with it
because every time I try to play something through my speakers my Denon
receiver shut off in the middle of it and the standby button flashes
red every .5 seconds. I looked at the troubleshooting section in the
manual, and unless I'm missing something, nothing I do works.

Please
help. Everything is connected the way it was last week, only difference
is everything is mounted. I don't know what to do. I have lungs full of
that insulation crap from my attic and nothing to show for it.

I've used banana plugs to terminate the speaker wires. It always shuts off during the Audessy auto calibration when it's checking the back right speaker. It'll go through the process once on that speaker just fine, but when it does it again on the speaker (usually at a louder volume) the receiver shuts off. I have re-spliced and reconnected the banana plugs to both rear speaker wires and it still does it :/

Figured it out...it was a really stupid mistake actually due to working
on installing all this crap at 3am...we had to splice two speaker wires
together to make the wire for the rears longer, and when I put
electrical tape around the ends of the wires I didn't separate the pos
and neg wires....thus that is why both rear speakers (using the
original speaker wire) would cause the short...

• 2 weeks later...

hi. i am having a similar problem but it may have more to do with the denon avr-790... so i will look for denon's forums soon. i have hooked up to it the klipsch hd theater 500.

the difference here is that i can turn on the system and everything is working fine, we had it on for at least 1-2 hours today. but, as soon as i turn the avr-790 volume up to about -5 dB, the unit will shut off and the standby button will blink every 0.5 seconds. when i turn the avr-790 back on, it will shut off again almost immediately. if i turn it back on again but quickly turn down the volume to even -7 dB or lower, it will happily stay on.

i have checked the speaker wires and the ends are very tight with no copper exposed.

any ideas? is the avr-790 just not able to drive the klipsch's? i was hoping we could make it loud (like 0 dB) without problem. anyway, like i said, i think this might be better placed in the denon forums. but, since i stumbled across this during searching i thought it would be good to get as many opinions as possible.

thanks

what are you saying could be the problem? some sound setting on the denon?

it is definitly not unbearable with the volume up to -5 dB. in fact, i can turn it up to 0 dB for a few seconds and i would consider that loud. at -10 dB it is normal and rather quiet actually... we are able to talk over each other at a normal level....

so there is something up with the volume here, then?

thanks

Problem could be:

1. Wrong type wire

2. Defective Denon

3. Wires hooked up improperly

4. CD player or TT hooked up improperly

5. Wrong Denon alignment settings

6. Because your Denon is tripping off and reseting you definitely have the speakers hooked up wrong or the Denon is defective.

JJK

thank you all for your responses. can you tell me more about "wrong type wire"? we did use the wire from our old setup, which was rather old. the wire may be 10 years old at least. in our old setup, we had 4 speakers connected with this wire: 2 were 4-ohm and 2 were 5-ohm. the new klipschs i understand are 8-ohm.

• 2 weeks later...

aha... i think we finally found the culprit: a stray staple that had been put between two speaker wires! thank goodness for the protection circuit in the avr-790!

i have turned it up to +7 dB without any problem. it is definitely too loud at that point. however, the previous poster's comment about it being too loud at -15 dB doesn't make any sense... at least with my setup. i guess it depends on the source. commercials are certainly louder than the broadcast, so i can see how one might think -15 dB is too loud. also, our phono pre-amp has its own gain setting. turning the gain up there causes the avr-790 to be extremely loud at even -20 dB or maybe even -30.

i am still interested in the effects of the old wire. when compared to the brand-new wire, it has clearly oxidized some. could that have an effect on the loudness?