A proper (ideal?) room for Klipschorns, help needed!

yrtimed

Hi All,

I need some help, please. We are moving to a new house that has 2-car garage, 25 by 29 feet. I plan to cut off some portion of it, in order to stay with a single car garage and a properly sized room for 2 Klipschorn speakers. So, I have certain freedom to choose the room geometry, and I would really appreciate some help with that.

The ceiling is vaulted, at least 10-11 feet at the lowest point (touching the wall). In the room I want to have two "listening seats": the optimal one would be a couch, and right behind it would be my office desk. So, I want to be able to sit at the couch listening to the music, as well as to do some work sitting in the chair behind the desk (probably having somewhat sub-optimal sound in the second case). That is why I am thinking of placing the Khorns along the shorter wall.

Here is a picture of what I am thinking of: room plan

Do you think the room dimensions are OK? What would you recommend?

I do not have any experience with this type of setup, so I'd also be glad to hear your opinion on the whole idea of the Khorns -> couch -> desk placement.

Thanks in advance!

Looked again at the image, and thought that maybe I should make the room a bit longer. Say, 15x18 (still placing the Khorns along the shorter 15' wall), thus moving the couch 8' away from the speakers??

I measured my furniture and concluded that 10' distance from the front of the couch to the back wall of the room are enough to have comfortable sit in the chair behind the desk.

The square size of the room is fine, granted you have things withing the room along the wall (like bookshelves) to abosorb the base, other wise you will get some resenance. The otherthing, what is the celing height, and is the room sloped? Is the room well insulated? As far as distance from the speaker, six foot is fine for nearfield listening, and I have seen closer listening enviroments even closer to the Khorns.

Hi David,

Thanks for you response! I cross-linked this topic at another thread of this forum, http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/124678.aspx, and there I got more responses. In particular, according to some advices I looked up recommended ratios on the web and changed a bit my mind regarding the size of the room. Right now I am thinking about a room of dimensions 10x14x19 (in feet).

The questions that you asked are exactly the ones I am trying to answer myself right now (as the room is just planned, not constructed yet). If you do not mind, please have a look at the parallel topic, I'll post there the answers to your questions right now.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Square is bad. Cube is worse. These conditions will produce
multiple coincident room modes which will result not only low frequency augmentation
at specific wavelengths, but also cancellations.

The vaulted ceiling is good. Any disruption of parallel room
boundaries is desirable.

Stay away from the 18’ dimension as this is approximately the
same dimension as a 60Hz wavelength. Any electrical or electromechanical hum
will be reinforced.

• 4 months later...

I am in the process of doing the same thing, building a room with K-horns in it. Room dimensions are to be 19.5X13,14,15,X8 with vaulted ceilings, now of the three width dimensions which one will work best with 19.5? I am also going to put the speakers on the short wall, for fear of creating a hole between the speakers using the long wall. Any advice would be appreciated.

Jay

• 6 months later...

Ok I am about to hire the man to build my room, I decided on 15X22X8 ceilings vaulted to 10feet. I am thinking about staggering the studs in the walls and possibly putting double sheetrock on the walls too. The floor will be a concrete slab with ceramic tile and an area rug, I will take care of the acoustic treatments after the room is finished. Does anyone have any other advice as to acoustics that needs to be addressed during the building stage???

Jay

I need some help, please. We are moving to a new house that has 2-car garage, 25 by 29 feet. I plan to cut off some portion of it, in order to stay with a single car garage and a properly sized room for 2 Klipschorn speakers. So, I have certain freedom to choose the room geometry, and I would really appreciate some help with that.

Here is an article that may help you decide on room dimensions. I'd recommend staying away from the center of the room for your listening positions - deep bass usually disappears at that location. I'd move the listening positions toward the back wall (the closer you get to a wall, the more lf response you will hear). Khorns really like larger rooms, and good sound diffusers installed (like the curved masonite diffusers that PWK liked so much). Vaulted ceilings can be problematic depending on the exact geometry and listening positioning: you might want to talk to Rigma about how he has dealt with his ceiling.

Also note that having drywall that is a bit thicker than normal (even doubled) in the area of the speakers/subs with narrow stud spacings will increase your deep lf response (<35 Hz). If you plan to add subwoofers later, these kind of architectural decisions will definitely payoff later.

Chris

Room Proportions extract from DOPE from HOPE!!!_searchable.pdf

Room Proportions extract from DOPE from HOPE!!!_searchable.pdf

• 3 months later...

I love the idea of putting the desk behind the couch! I

wanted to do this for many years. The optimal position for big ole horns in a

rectangular shaped room however, is along the long wall. You will get a much

wider soundstage.

You will experience

room modes that sucks out low, mid and upper bass. The room robs your system of

energy. No amplifier or equalizer is powerful enough to fill these modes.

http://www.realtraps.com/modecalc.htm