klipsch rf-3s, wheres the oomph

quadklipsh

hi there folks

this is my first writing to a speaker forum

im a recent owner of klipsches after a long long longing for towers

i love the brand,

and i was completely awestruck by a pair of klipsch sp1s or so i guess (dont remember the model,perhaps some 5inchers single driver towers of synergy )

seven yrs ago,when i compared em on a track with a pair of ten inchers of i think pioneer speakers

they impressed me there n then

n i thot all the rest in the room were weaklings n inflated

the salesman also approved that he had yet to hear any speaker which cud beat its bass tightness n power handling in that size n price

that was it

i fell in love n then started to learn more of klipsch

i finally bought a pair of RF-3s

well, i do own a pair of kenwoods LS 7M towers too(170 watts 8 ohms,88db) placed in living room

when i compared em in my living room the too were very different

kens had bass ,wch i call, visceral,it feels through ur body passing through, n hits u smoothly,like a subwoofer rumble

i never regret its presence

the klipsch r 150 or 225 watts 8 ohms,arkansas

,theres a discrepancy btw online data n the speakers back[*-)]

however im not quite happy as yet of the depth of bass n the oomph it provides

though its power n throw is far superior from the kens

n not to mention the detail n clarity wch is a bit rounded in kens

im runnng both the speakers with an old jvc axz 911

i do keep switching my amps

n for most part of listening (90% music ) i run the quad 303 n 33 combo, wch sounds extremely pleasant than any of the japanese amps iv kept

the problem is wen i ran the movies last night wth a bunch of cousins , the slam of the indiana jones was right at !! but they all found the depth a bit lacking in the visceral way

it felt like soaring n missing out the bottom end

im in love with these rf3s n dont wana lose em for bass responce

i never felt the need for a sub with the kenwoods but with these i felt it

well i never tried the jvc n kenwood combo though!!

i run the kenwoods with a mediocre sony prologic KA-AV570 (i play in stereo usually ) bass knob turned to 75 to 90% usually wen i played klipsch i turned it down to flat, i.e 50%

plzzzz help me with this

somebody out there may have an explaination to this lacking from such a well reputed speaker

• 3 weeks later...

hey montigue

where are you man

i placed my rf 3s in the drawing room to see if more carpeting and sofas wud help deepen up the groove in my tracks

the impression stuck in my ears of deep bass was laid down by my kens

klipsch goes cleaner but not that deeper

wot to do

worrying , big time[:'(]

A lot of speakers will overemphasize certain frequencies. Klipsch's goal is to have a very smooth and flat frequency response with a very efficient speaker. As a result, compared to other speakers who don't have as flat of a frequency response sometimes areas such as bass may seem lacking.

How do you have your speakers set up? Since RF-3s are rear-ported, the distance they are placed from the wall behind them will affect the bass output. Do you have them set to Large or Full Range if possible?

sub woofers? aahh dont u think i gave that a thought !!!! i think that subs add un naturalness to music but r definitely mandatory for movies im a music guy and want it all from the rf3s but i liked ur explaination and understanding perhaps i hv been listeneing to much too bass over emphasizing kenwood speakers

and they r not so flat

but when i listen to celestion book shelves i feel it more satisfying and you know the calibre of bookshelves [*-)]

hi wuzzzer

no my amp doesnot support those settings

its a jvc zx911 , an 80s stereo amp with ample power to rock ,but the denon and yamaha sounds are not there

its a very neat sounding amp,makes u feel as though its a castrated amp when it comes to room rumbling notes of bass

i hv been daily playing with the placement of these rf3s

best neat bass comes when they r around 3 feet off the walls and corners

but then, u know the listening position gets closer as the room is 15 by 32

and i cannot place em length wise