posting pics

Deang

Justin, what a way cool way to spend your teenage years, my hat's off to your dad for allowing you to roam among the treasures of his life's work.

My son, now in his early 30's had many of the same things... or at least as "cutting edge" existed in his teen years. Actually, looking at every photo on your list, it is surprising to see how many of our outdated tools were so similar to today's production units.

My son's passion is writing... and that is where his Ivy League education has him pointed for cake and brie. But, it is comforting to know that his ample bread and butter still comes from skills he acquired playing... then working... with his father's toys.

May the toys of these years of exploration bring you joys forever...

cwm40.gif ...and they will if you become their master in the fashion that you have mastered ProMedia. -HornEd

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks horned Smile.gif

yeah, i could spend hours just wandering through all of the stuff my dad has there. it is a great experience.

back to mastering the promedia's Wink.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

I have a relitave who is going to start some pro work:

He will be taking pictures of people and their animals at various dog, cat, horse, ect. shows. It is ALL digital. They have an RV to print out pictures and sell them for major $$$ on the spot. hard work, hard cash.

Anyway. He is considering getting a Nikon D1X, which is a 5-mega pixel version of the Nikon F5. It is available for $4000-$5000, body only. Any suggestions. What are some bitching Nikon lenses? I was recommending the 24-120mm for general stuff and the zoom lenses that go up to 400mm. I think the all-mighty 600mm f4 $8000 lense is a little too $$$. Any thoughts?

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

well i would say that he should get a good say.. 70-200mm lens... it is late and i have a long long day, but i think that would be good, also get a filter for it... forgive me for not remember what it is called... solarized filter i think. wow does it make the colors pop out. horned... is this the right lens? i am so lost in the day LoL

for a printer... what is he looking at? you just can not beat a thermal printer like one from ALPs right now for cost/speed/efficiency... we used to have one to print photo's and it was great... but now that i think of it, the EPSON pro series, which we also have, has archival ink, and is not really rivaled by many other inkjets. they have also made it quieter, down to ~30dB or less... used to be SOO loud.

will these be 'portrait' pictures or action? will he need any zooming? (hopefully no) but make sure to get a filter, not that expensive and it makes a world of a difference at sundown and sun up with the colors in the sky, and inside it helps with the flourescent lighting causing green pictures, which is a problem. however, even photoshope deluxe can get most of the green out. but the filter worked wonders for me.

check at your local camera stores for the D1-X or D1, not a huge difference between the two. We got one with lens trades and an F1... we only paid like $500, the other one we got for $3799, made a deal with the dealer hehehe

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

Justin, you are probably thinking of a UV filter (solarization is a process of artistically - but grossly - distorting a photo). It is probably more useful as a P-filter ("P" for protective) to guard against harming a lens.

I belong to associations whose members revere the Nikon digital offerings... but I am not a big fan. Digital technology is growing so fast that even long standing pro-digital-Kodak's have bitten the dust. And, speaking of dust, with Nikon's current pro-digital offerings... a little spec of dust on the CCD array can turn your prize photos into worth less also-rans.

A friend and I enjoyed photographing world class cutting horse action... and careful as I am... some dust got on the CCD while changing lenses in the arena... and that finished me with the D1 for action event photography. Now I carry two cameras for the price of one D1... and get the photos.

As far as printers... the smallest high quality printer for creating salable photos, IMHO, is the Epson Stylus P2000. I use it in my motorhome due to its convenient size. It uses expensive six-color archival (pigmented) inks that will not begin to fade for 200 years under museum conditions. No other ink comes close. I use museum quality archival substrates (photo paper, etc.) as well.

Be advised that although Epson has the best archival inks, some of their recent printers have serious flaws and I can only recommend three (2000, 5500, 10000). Again, this is a rapidly changing technology that will settle into a better buy when it can offer 1440 x 1440 resolution using eight colors. While such a solution is in the current high end marketplace, it is not yet available with the preferred Epson archival (pigmented) inks.

Opaque (pigmented) inks do not have the color gamut (range) of dye based inks (which quickly fade)... so they need more shades to do the job. The latest high end printers (Roland) have eight colors... adding Orange and Green to the six colors of Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black, Light Cyan and Light Magenta.

Purely speaking, there are three additive primary colors (Red + Green + Blue = White on your TV) and three subtractive primary colors (Cyan - Magenta - Yellow = no color and added together = black). Unfortunately, available pigments are not as perfect as projected light is. So, in every subtractive pigment color there are trace contaminates of the other two colors. This is more easily seen with pigment inks than dye inks... but the problem is common to both.

They just don't add up to a black enough black any way you sequence them... and that is why all quality printers from ink jet to high speed presses use black ink as both a cheaper and better alternative.

Printed color is an optical illusion in which a few colors in close proximity and in varying relative proportions are translated through your eye into your brain as a composite color different from those that are actually on the printed page. The color in your favorite DVD action flick is also an optical illusion created with varying intensities of Red, Green & Blue.

I welcome the digital change for many reasons... not the least of which is that the chemicals required for film photography are not at all environmentally friendly.

If your friends have only have one D1 and are doing action event photography... use white cotton gloves and a pristine changing bag for lens changes... and pray that your next photo does not portray "True Grit" where the action is supposed to be. CCD arrays are much smaller than the area of a 35mm negative... so, relatively speaking, a few specks of dust becomes an avalanche of white "rocks" in your print out.

IMHO, that particular Nikon is far better suited to studio work. Good luck! -HornEd

PS: Gil, I have more respect for what the Mavica did to promote digital photography than I have for Nikon's current digital offerings. Nikon, like the Titanic, has a rudder too small to quickly turn from film to digital... But, I believe their next generation will be a big leap forward. And, as you pointed out on page one of this thread, my opinions are honest if not accurate... and put a critical eye on both ends of the digital market spectrum. H.E.

This message has been edited by HornEd on 03-14-2002 at 08:26 AM

let me see if i can find a picture where i know i used that filter...

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

Ahhh! That dust on the CCD sounds scary! Why? If you have a film SLR, it doesn't seem to be a big problem. I took my Ricoh SLR to a building implosion (too much fun!) and I never had dust problems.

Is the problem the fact you have a 1/3" X 1/3" CCD that will be affected by even a little dust? Is it ruined once you have stuff on it? I will have to talk to some people I know that shoot lots of digital SLR stuff.

Thanks! But there is not much they can do about it. They need digital SLR's to do their work.

------------------

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

ok... here is about what a Polorasing lens does for me... (it is a polarizing lens BTW Smile.gif) These are both on 7Mile Beach on the same day, just different directions down the beach.

filtervsnofilter1.jpg

the filter just makes the blues pop out better, i know i used the filter on this picture...

cayman%20sunset.jpg

you should get a 35->105mm lens. in my personal lense collection, i have a 16-22mm (fisheye), 35-70mm, 35-105mm, 80-200mm and then my big daddy... 400mm.

all are in this pic, except the fisheye, which becaues it is so small, i seem to have lost somewhere... cwm21.gif

cameralineup.jpg

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

Nice rig Justin! My Uncle got the following, to start:

Nikon D1X

Nikon 24-85 MM f/2.8

Nikon 80-200 f/2.8

Accories galore

So, I nice rig. TOO EXPENSIVE for the likes of me!

------------------

Kenratboy... you have part of your answer already. If your CCD array is 1/3" x 1/3"... then it is tiny compared to the image area of a 35mm frame. Remember, the film moves on but the ccd is static and is potentially vulnerable each time a lens is changed.

My Olympus E-20N's are SLR's with a 5.2 megapixel chip with a 2560 x 1920 pixel depth. The lens is a pro quality ED (Extra Dispersion) f2.0 to f2.4 lens that ranges from the 35mm equivalent of 35mm to 140mm... has a macro capability down to 8"... an 8000ths of a second shutter speed. And, shifting into a 2.5 megapixel progressive scan mode I can take 7fps when set for sequencing with a super-fast 18000ths shutter speed.

The telephoto extensions bring the basic lens to 200mm and 420mm at f2.8... that's 20mm longer and probably faster than Justin's big lens. Further, the wide angle adaptor brings it down to 28mm. The macro adapter allows photos as close a 12cm. I can set ISO equivalent "film" speeds of 80, 160 or 320.

I suspect the reason that Justin's fish-eye lens doesn't work as well as he thought is due to the fact that 35mm lenses are not ideal match for the smaller CCD array. The DX1 does have some limitations with most Nikkor lenses and has compatibility problems with larger CF MicroDrives.

Don't get me wrong... in many ways the Nikon D1 is a wonderful camera... its 3008 x 1960 max is better than the Olympus max of 2560 x 1920... due to about 34k more pixels in the effective Nikon array. I would consider the Nikon more of a "pro" camera in many ways but I have no regrets at trading it in on a pair of Olympus SLR's with all the extra lenses.

Since I use my cameras for fun and profit, I felt an obligation to give you some extra info Kenratboy. I have no hidden agenda or axes to grind. -HornEd

PS: As I was writing this I got a call to film a group of kite surfers with the 420mm. Later

PPS: Later has come after another moneymaking photo shoot. I did not notice before that your relative had already bought the Nikon when I wrote this reply... and would have not written it if I did.

My purpose was not to blow Olympus smoke... but rather assist in a choice that I thought was about to be made. In fairness, the last post identifies the Nikon as a later version of the model that failed me when the chips were down.

I wish your uncle well, he has one of the finest digital cameras on the market today. I only hope that my comments have been helpful to others who face the challenges of understanding digital photography. H.E.

This message has been edited by HornEd on 03-15-2002 at 08:28 AM

Thanks HornEd!!!

I will make sure to tell him about the dust on the CCD. Don't worry, your writing was not a waste. I am looking at digital cameras (Canon G2 on my short list now) and I will have to take a look at the Olympus. The last film camera I bought was an Olympus 35-140mm point and shoot. It was great! It hasn't been used in at least 2 years Frown.gif...

Why can't they just put a piece of glass (super thin) about 1/100mm away from the CCD? You should be able to get THAT dirty and get that replaced. Maybe I don't understand the CCD well enough. Heck, why not put the CCD inside the prism!!!

------------------

Kenratboy, I am glad the writing did some good... although it was done from the perspective of someone who needed to make money with a camera rather than taking candid shots.

Anything that is between the sensor (whether it be film or CCD) cuts down the transmission of light. Most complex lenses are made in groups of lenses that affect one another in a positive way. Putting a thin slice of something after the lens and before the CCD has not been an optically viable option, as I understand the problem.

To me it was the weakest link in a very strong camera system. CCD's can be cleaned but it can be a painful experience. I think the to-be-discontinued Olympus E-10 is a great buy... less than half the cost of an E-20... and maybe lower for an aggressive shoper like T-T-K! It has the same lens and many of the same features as the E-20N.

For a smaller non-SLR Olympus, the C-4040Zoom with 4 megapixels seems like a good by. The Nikon "prosumer" 5000 is a pretty slick under a grand camera... and the 6:1 zoom ratio on the Fuji FinePix bears some examination. -HornEd

my sony cyber shot 4.1 has terrific picture quality and cost $600. but no interchangable lenses...

i was born nikon, and will probably die nikon, haha. everyone on my dad's side of the family has SOMETHING to do with photography, reporters, videographers, and, photographers. on my mom's side.. it is random, but for the most part everyone is into public relations, especially food wine and flowers, to the two genre's mix to make a family that works for each other Smile.gif kinda like when your born into a republican or democratic family that you will probably not fall too far from the tree.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

Justin, here is the concluding paragraph of the Aimee Baldridge Review of the Sony Cyber-shot F707 for UK ZDNet:

"If you have professional photographic aspirations or want as much control as you can get over image parameters, look at the features offered by the 5-megapixel Olympus E-20N, Minolta Dimage 7 and Nikon Coolpix 5000 before you make a purchase. But if you shoot for pleasure only and will enjoy playing with all of the consumer-orientated features on the Cyber-shot DSC-F707, you won't be disappointed."

This new version is up to an effective 5.0 megapixels and features a 5x Carl Zeiss zoom lens with a maximum aperture of 2.0... but the street price is closer to $1,000.

Many of its features such as infrared night composition aids, etc., point out the rapidly changing capabilities at more cost-effective prices. Everyone seems to be pushing those envelopes more.

I have to think that my old favorite, Nikon, will be coming along with something more "prosumer" friendly in price and performance than their 5000 and DX1 offerings.

Thanks for pointing out that Sony has raised their digital camera sights. -HornEd

quote:

Originally posted by HornEd:

Thanks for pointing out that Sony has raised their digital camera sights. -HornEd

that they have! i used the TIFF file format at the highest resolution, image file was 11.6mb Smile.gif 2272x1704 resolution Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

Yeah, I know those TIFF's and RAW's can be large. Thank god for 512-1024 MB storage! I do not like the Nikon digital cameras (point and shoot) but rather the Canon's and Sony's. I feel the Canon is more of the photographers camera and the Sony is a little more geek-oriented (that is DEFINETLY up for discussion!!!)

Now I just need to get a good photo printer...

------------------

the nikon cool pix is a nice one too

epson's archival inkjet printers are nice, but i like thermal priners like those from ALPS.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

I looked at the Canon G2 ($700) today, very nice. It was at Best Buy, so it was tethered and that crap. I will have to go to Sacramento or the Bay Area to see one in a PROPER camera store.

What other <$1000 digital cameras do you recommend? Not Sony, as I get Compact Flash cards for **** (512mb for <$50, or free!) and I dont't like the small size of memory sticks.

Thanks! This is a great thread right now!

------------------

Kenratboy, I just got in from a long journey... and need to catch some Sleep.gif but my quick answer is try to find the best price on an Olympus E-10.

The Olympus E-10 (4 megapixel) is being phased out for the Olympus E-20 (5 megapixel)... and they share the same great, pro-quality, f2.0, 4:1 zoom lens and many other features.

Having a full-featured SLR that comes with an SM card AND has a CF slot (I would sure like to try one of those $50 512's in my back-up E-10).

There are a lot of good "under $1000) digital cameras right now... but buying an E-10 for less than half of last year's street price is a bargain that is hard to pass up.

And their extension lenses for it are quite good. I routinely take "pro quality" shots with the 420mm telephoto extension with an incredible f2.8 lens speed!

Check it out! -HornEd

oops, I just realized I had not read page 3 of this thread when I posted the following, now I will have some serious homework.

Gil, HornEd, et al,

Thanks for all the info in this thread.

I have also been trying to make a decision on a digital camera.

A friend has a Mavica, and the simplicity and "humbleness" of it has an appeal to me. He carries it around with him and uses it as an everyday tool. For example, he will take a quick image of a machine so when he goes to get a part, he shows them an image on the screen of his camera. It's like a sketch pad. The abundance and low cost of everyday floppys is also appealing. I assume such a camera would be adequate for posting images to sell stuff on eBay.

Then, on the other hand, my friends in the Graphic Arts business affirm what HornEd is saying, and thus say no on the Mavica choice, knowing that I also might want to document my artwork for portfolio and/or resume purposes where quality is important, or otherwise take higher quality images.

One solution might be to obtain a Mavica for everyday eBay posting and later obtain a second better camera for documenting artwork. Feels like unnecessary expense.

There are so many demanding learning curves these days, simplicity and ease of use is tempting. On the other hand, there is missing out on higher quality potentials of mucho- megapixels. This has been my dillemma and source of indecision, and as a result, I am way behind on liquidating stuff on eBay.

I still have older analog photography equipment which hardly gets used anymore. Nikkon F3 and lenses, and a couple of 4x5 cameras. Seems like these film cameras are not very practical anymore and in fact might be the very things to sell on eBay.

{analog seemed to imply an embracing of physical permanence, digital seems to say it is ok to reduce everything to dispensable stored binary bits--its cool, we still have DVD images of those extinct animals..maybe...}...sorry for the geezer reactionary attitude... I remember when a beautiful photo image reminded me that I was glad that the object had a physical existence--kind of like vinyl versus CD...I am getting way off here, sorry.

I am not much of a snapshot taker, unless I am travelling to exotic locations. I ended up taking a point and shoot Olympus to Cuba, but was mostly dissappointed with the quality of the images. Since I was already toting a digital video camera and accessories as well as audio recording gear, I didn't want to bring the Nikkon and lenses etc.. I imagine a digital camera would have been a better choice than the point and shoot.

I had not, and still have not, been able to make the decision on which digital camera to get.

-Manned and Rayed

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components

This message has been edited by Clipped and Shorn on 03-18-2002 at 03:01 PM