Deang

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"is there a secret handshake or something?"

YES - But if I told you I would have to kill you!! <GRIN>

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

thanks for asking dean - i should have my new olympus d510 in the next few days.

i'm assuming u uplode them to a folder created by & by using the software that comes w/ the camera. then when

u do a post just use the file attachment browse function & which uploads it from your computer to your post.

same if you scan it to your computer. i'm a real novice though & just figured i figure it out when i come to it. imagine they're jpg. or do/can we determine what kind of image file & if so what is the prefered format for klipsch forumers? jpg?

------------------

My Home Systems Page

at Post,

1. upload the file to the server ("Upload your files")

2. once uploaded go to "view/delete", double click the file.

3. the picture displays in a seperate viewer, go to the address(http://...) and copy (put cursor in the address window and right click and copy). Now close this window and forget about it.

4. Go back to Post.

5. Look at tool buttons, look for "Insert Image". Click it.

6. Box opens and prompts you for an address. Place your cursor in the box, right click and post.

7. The image will display after you hit the Submit button.

This message has been edited by John Warren on 03-04-2002 at 06:33 AM

As John said, using the "Attachment" provision is not too difficult. However there are a couple of further issues that can cause frustration.

The number of photos that you can have uploaded to Klipsch at any one time is limited to six photos. The "View/Delete files" link provides a way to remove any or all of your previous six photos to make room for the next one(s)... for which you must return to the "Upload your files" link. Once you have a photo uploaded, you can paste the same address in several different posts and they will all display the same referenced photo. Once you delete the photo, any posts that references a deleted post will get a little white square with a red "x" in it.

A potentially frustrating thing is the 200k limitation imposed by the Forum... but fortunately, that is the size of the compacted jpeg file. Thus, you can take a fairly large photo into a program like PhotoShop, convert it to 72 dpi (screen resolution) and then use the "Save for Web..." option. Once there, note the size of the compacted file (under the photo on the lower left hand side). The Forum checker is very aggressive, so I usually reduce the photo as far as 80% to be sure that it's file size is under 190 Kbytes.

The best solution, of course is to have your own website and then you can type in a url in the body of your text and the photo will appear there... without all the justifiable Klipsch limitations.

Hope that helps! cwm4.gif HornEd

PS: deanG... if your photos are half as entertaining as your witty prose... we Forum Freaks have great daze ahead!

This message has been edited by HornEd on 03-04-2002 at 12:07 PM

thanks john & horned! i'll now know where to go once the new camera finally gets here. i'll try working w/ the olympus software 1st, but i have a feeling i'll be looking for something else.

i do have the free photoworks software already for those pics my mom sends. most likely a fee is involved

if i use them. cwm5.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Boa, the software from Olympus is designed to transfer your photos from the camera to your computer... and organize them. It is not really photo retouching software with specialized Web compaction algorithms. I say that without rechecking the latest version.

Since I have been involved with professional imaging for many years, my equipment and software tends to be more higher end (with a learning curve to match) than you are likely to want.

There is a software program called "Adobe PhotoShop Elements" that can be gotten on the web for as little as $80. It's a streamlined, easy to use, stripped down version of what most of the people who earn their living in the graphics industry use every day.

The latest edition is very recent and contains a simplified version of everything you are likely to need... and all of it is based on a high end standard. One of the key things it has is a "Save for Web" option that will be your best bet for posting under 200 Kbytes files on the Forum system.

Yes, there are cheaper programs available from other companies... but I believe you will do better going with one of the pioneers of the modern graphics industry. Adobe's founder and I have shared many a podium over the years. He and I don't always agree but his company has what I believe is best for you.

Enjoy... HornEd

Boa, I don't know if it is in your price range (and I may have mentioned this somewhere before) but I think the best Olympus camera for the money is the semi-pro, 4.1 megapixel Olympus E-10... it was nearly $2k a year ago (when I bought one) and can now be found on the web for about $800.

It was replaced by the 5.2 megapixel E-20 (which I also bought). The E-10 and E-20 use the same 4:1 zoom lens. It is a single lens reflex which means that pretty much what you see is what you get.

My first digital Olympus was a 3.3 megapixel C-3030z which a professional camera reviewer I know rated over the Nikon digital offerings. The latest version is the C-4040 with a better, faster lens and simplified controls... or so I am told.

Your life as a candid digital photographer will be much improved if you try to get at least 3.2 megapixels... that way you have more latitude to crop your pics and blow-up what you like in a scene.

Try http://www.mdiusa.com/ I know the owner and he is a genuine authorized Olympus dealer. He is very aggressive in his pricing and does not deal in "gray market" items. Marc also stands behind his deals better than just about anyone else... and he knows the right people to call at Olympus to get the best results for his customers. He actually lives about 20 miles south of me... but, of course, doesn't know me as HornEd.

Hope this gives you some extra insights...

Smile please...cwm34.gif click HornEd

Hi Y'all, here's another great image editing program:

FWIW I use "Paint Shop Pro ver.7" for editing my photos. It is a very good and highly rated image editing program also, and is quite easy to learn to use (IMHO), but I have been using it for years...

It is not as robust and does not have all the features that "Adobe Photoshop" has, but it is a great program and has a ton of features. It does not carry the price tag that Photoshop does either (~$90), in the same ballpark as "Adobe PhotoShop Elements".

I am not recommending it over "Adobe PhotoShop Elements" as I have not tried that program.

I have been using a 2.1 mega pixel camera since they came on the market (Sony S-10). I have thought often about upgrading to a 3 or 4 megapixel, but this camera still does everything I really need out of a camera.

The only thing I find lacking in this camera for what I use it for is the zoom. Mine is 2x optical, I wish it were 3x or 4x (or more x!). Optical zoom rules, digital zoom isn't important IMHO.

My digital camera is one of the best purchases I have made. My wife is always telling me that I buy "gadgets", use them for a week or a month and then put them on a shelf and forget about them. Even she is amazed at how often I pull out the camera to snap a few pics.

If I were to get really heavy into photography like HE that Olympus is a beauty, but for a "snap shot" taker like myself this one will do nicely (for now). The other thing I have found invaluable is a nice tripod for taking great closeup shots.

my dad has two Nikon D-1's... ~5.47 megapixel each. They are very nice and do great pictures and to top it off, all of your Nikon and NIKKOR lenses and what not will work with this camera... though it does cost $1700-2500... i think. it is nice though Smile.gif

but for me i also am looking at a new camera, a 2.1 or 2.31 mega pixel Fugi FinePix camera. How big of an image (pixel wise) is this when i put it on my computer edster? i don't care about printing quality, if i want to print a photo, i will use the nikon, but for me, I think a 2.1 or 2.3 will do fine, i just would like a pretty large digital image to start off with so i have something to work with in jasc and photoshop.

------------------

-justin

ProMedia 5.1 Tech Help

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

Got an Olympus C-3000 Zoom last fall. 3.34 Megapixels, 3x optical w/7.5 digital zoom. Optical viewer, records sound on movie or picture functions. Use their Camedia software to download photos to PC, then import into Adobe Photo Shop. Price was mid to low 4's then.

At Cnet.com's electronics link, you can get comparison reviews for features and functions on several brands w/links to buy if you desire. http://www.cnet.com/

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 03-06-2002 at 06:31 AM

Sorry, T-T-K, I haven't used the Fuji model you noted... but I have heard great things about them. A 6:1 ratio in a still digital camera is awesome in concept. One of the major advantages of higher density CCD's is that you have more resolution to blow up the interesting parts of pictures too far away for ideal composition in the lens. A high ratio zoom increases your chances to get better composition with less expensive CCD arrays... but usually at a cost of diminished lens acuity. Fuji also does some algorithmic tricks with their digital imagery to get more detail as I recall. Check it out closely! I'll try to get some specific data for you... since you help so many of us in our Klipsch purchasing chases.

Justin, speaking of great concepts that didn't hold up... as a Nikon person of long standing, I jumped at the chance to have a pro-digital environment and use my old lenses. I do a lot of outdoors action photo-journalism and keeping dust off the CCD's when I tried to change lenses using the D1 turned out to be a major source of lost photo opportunities. So I sold it to a guy who does mostly inside studio work... and he is happy as can be. I found keeping CCD's clean enough to meet my standards was no easy chore.

3.34 megapixels is an excellent cost-effective compromise in the megapixel picture. 2.1 is lowest resolution worth buying for just about any purpose. It doesn't leave much room for editing (especially for print) but it does make adequate pictures for posting on the web in most cases... particularly when saved in the PhotoShop "Save for Web..." option.

Forget about any claims of "digital zoom"... that is merely a function of how many megapixels you have... and it is better done in PhotoShop or some other worthwhile photo oriented program.

Good to see a little digital photo rapping... because we can all benefit for better pics of Klipsch in action... particularly in understanding complex room environments. Just as audio pros consider speakers as motors... photo pros are starting to look at digital cameras as photographic engines. Gentlemen, start your engines! -HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 03-06-2002 at 01:38 PM

HornEd,

You nailed it as usual. Wanted something that provide good pictures with clarity and detail for web posting and email attachments. Clarifying the digital zoom use was helpful too. Why, when the software can do it. What disgust me a bit when I began looking, was having to pay for features that I know would not be used. Like sound for pics and movies. Maybe good for some, but I have not found a need to use it. My real frustration comes from the manual sizes, about 3.5" X 5". Have to keep an magnifing glass on my nightstand.

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

Don't despair, Shape Shifter... just shift the manuals into a more convenient shape!

Most of the popular digital cameras have PDF manuals available on the manufacturers web site. I find them handy to look up data even when I am "on safari" in the motorhome.

Actually, before I would buy a digital camera, I would look up the manual on the web and see, from the printed instructions, whether that camera was going to be more hassle than I want to be part of.

Which leads to another Shape Shifter concern... little used features. Fortunately, the same phenomenon that makes some digital cameras beasts to operate also make it very cheap to add some features.

The ease-of-use is usually a factor on how well the chip that holds the programming was put together. Reading the manual gives you a clue... if it sounds easy they probably did a good job. If it sounds awkward and difficult... look for a new model to come down the digital pike very soon. Most of the nearly useless features are just extra programs burned into the chip set of the camera. Consequently, they usually insignificant as a cost factor in making the actual camera... like the song says... "Don't worry, be happy!"... it even works in reverse Polish notation!cwm12.gif HornEd

horned... you had problems with a D1 and a Nikon or Nikkor lens? which one was it? the only problem lens i have had was a full manual 16mm fish eye. other than that all was well, and the pictures amazing... i am going to upload a picture i took full size and you can see what i mean Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Tech Support

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>