posting pics

Deang

with nicer digital camera from canon and nikon you can use macro functions with the interchangable lenses.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Tech Support

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by SOUNDJUNKIE:

WOW, I was having trouble uploading pics but thanks to you guys(gals) I'm doin' it like a pro! BTW, Anna won her match, I try to get out to the courts as much as possible.

attach_afm.cgi?&&

anna.jpg

yeah, she's hot

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Tech Support

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

What is that you are building, Justin? Looks like a Klipschornakova... exponentially horny with stacked tweeters playing to a gallery of teenage woofers.

Ahh, yes, stoke it well for it is the fires of youth that live on as the embers of Social Security. -HornEd

PS: Wholly Macro, Batman... upscale Olympus also has macro capabilities built in and with an additional attachment lens.

quote:

Originally posted by HornEd:

What is that you are building, Justin? Looks like a Klipschornakova... exponentially horny with stacked tweeters playing to a gallery of teenage woofers.

Ahh, yes, stoke it well for it is the fires of youth that live on as the embers of Social Security. -HornEd

PS: Wholly Macro, Batman... upscale Olympus also has macro capabilities built in and with an additional attachment lens.

ROFLMAO

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Tech Support

quote:

Originally posted by edster00:

Well Justin got the location of my balloon photo correct...Montgomery Alabama on the Shakespeare festival grounds.

Now how did a Texan recognize Montgomery, AL?

we get out of the lone star state everyone once and a while Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Tech Support

Congrats, Justin! It does my heart good that a Texan with a Nikon eye for digital photography cut to the chase and told that old balloon pilot where is hot air was stashed.

One of my "hot" cwm23.gif buttons when I was courting Dame Fortune in Texas was the tendency for people who hadn't been there to put Texan's down as "ALL HAT and no cattle" or "lucky bustard got oil when he needed water!" (Actually, a bustard is an ungainly, ugly bird... I tried using it in grammar school... but the teacher wasn't having any of it cwm36.gif )

I remember once when a denizen of Wall Street somehow found out about my Manhattan period, traced me to San Antonio, sent my a prospectus on a deal, and called me up to see what I thought about it. In fairness to him, he had a better than average reputation and hustled deals that made some sense to a professional investor.

Since he had gotten my name from a Wall Street corporate client, I listened to his pitch and then he asked me what I thought of the prospectus. I told him (honestly) I had never received it. And to cut to the chase... asked him how he addressed it. And he said, "Why, Ed Dennis, San Antonio, Texas... I mean like how big can San Antonio be?"

At the moment of our conversation, the new population figures revealed San Antonio as the tenth largest city in the U.S. and certainly larger than my native San Francisco! And as Justin will be quick to point out, Houston is a whole lot bigger than San Antonio!

Now, edster00, as a conservative balloonist living in Atlanta and veteran of the "Big Picture" in Albuquerque, NM, (Now more photographed than the Rose Parade)... I know you have been through Texas and that your comment was, as always, good natured. None-the-less, having a young Texan come through was a heart's delight... and having edster's well intended jibe result in a tactful rejoinder all the more special!

Edster, you know that I usually travel the country to participate in medieval and Shakespearian festivals, so I purposely refrained from a response... I figured I would bide my time and only jump in if no Alabama Forum member did. Again, my hat's off to Justin... and my Longhorns toot his praises!

That was fun, but really, edster, when you start piloting is again your own bag... you gotta rig up the basket with a Klipsch two channel. cwm30.gif HornEd

Gil, I was writing my tribute to Justin when your above post sneaked in ahead of my reply. You are right of course, in that my comments were well intended and made out of respect for you... not disrespect. I knew, given the quality of your typical reply... there had to be a "rest of the story" in the struggle between brevity and candor. Clearly, a battle we both face with each post.

Resolution and the ability to make the most of it is what makes your F3 a standout 35mm film embellisher. But, in that case the effective resolution is based upon the character of the silver halide crystals in the film you select.

A little known fact to digital camera buffs is that the heat generated by the COD (and how it's dissipated) creates artifact that makes digital photos less sharp than they might otherwise be. It is somewhat akin to nuclear warheads... while megaton yields are a flat out factor in destruction... how dirty the blast is really the killer factor.

I grew up in the era of muscle cars... had a Chrysler 300 that I traded for a far less powerful Jaguar that I raced (but, not anywhere close to my dreams of LeMans cwm36.gif ) All megapixels are not born (nor is their environment) equal. Camera manufacturers are essentially overblowing the "horsepower" without facing up to the shortcomings of the "stable."

And that brings up a Mavica shortcoming... IMHO. A floppy just doesn't have the physical storage space (even if you could accept the slow transfer rate) to store a "workable" photo. Granted, if you nailed the photo in the viewfinder and put it out at a minimal "web worthy" resolution you could tell most of the story... but that takes a skill level that would probably lead the photographer to a better camera.

The size and bulk of a Mavica is counterproductive in making a steady shot for most amateurs. That being said, the Mavica made possible an early entry into digital photography with a "sneaker net" option to get their photos into their computer without the scanning acuity hassles of the recent past. Like the Model T and the TRS-80... it did its job in its time... and facilitated an upward movement of the masses.

Sadly few things in our experience have the market viability of a Klipschorn... even more than twenty years longer than "The Fantastiks" on Broadway. Gil, everything that I perceive about you says that it is time to put your Mavica in the trophy case and slide your pragmatic actualization into a later model vehicle.

You know I wish you well! -HornEd

PS: There is am outside chance I might make Hope in time for the signing... and look forward to shaking your hand and thanking you for your long standing quality of relatively succinct "two-line" visually seductive prose. ED

This message has been edited by HornEd on 03-09-2002 at 12:13 PM

thanks for the congratulations Smile.gif

i agree with you once more on the digital camera pixels. i used to have a no name brand 2.1 mega pixel that put out large photos, but looked like a mosaic. the picture quality was just not there. onmy nikons i use the IBM drives with 320 mb of storage, the only way to fly IMHO.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Tech Support

Probably no one cares, at this point Smile.gif, but I've added the Canon PowerShot S30 to my short list. It is a 3 megapixel with 3x optical zoom, and a slew of manual control capabilities (which my wife will like). Has the higher pixel count than the 2mp ELPHs, and the same 3x zoom as the S300 ELPH, but not the 6x of the Fuji 2800. However, it still is pocket-size, for that all important spontaneous shooting session.

Anyone have any experience with this unit?

Doug

------------------

My System

Doug,

All the photos I post on the BB are taken with a Canon S-10 which I like very much. I really would like to move up to more megapixels but I think I will wait until there are more advancements in digial photography. Bear in mind that I am not trying to take photos or the quality that HornEd or Justin are taking, my camera was to replace a "point and shoot" 35mm and it does so extremely well. This camera is compatable with the IBM Micro-drives also.

I have taken many many photo of a wide variety of subjects which I use for computer wallpaper, greeting cards, emailing to family and friends, web work etc. etc. etc. I get rave comments about the quality of the photos I take. I am in no way disputing anything that HornEd and Justin are saying, just that those camera are beyond my needs at this point in time. If I were into photo journalism I would need a much better camera.

IMHO any of the cameras you have on your short list should perform admirably and afford you many hours of enjoyment. Don't forget that it is also necessary to have some decent digital imaging software on hand like has been discussed previously, what ever comes with your camera will be very limited in functionality.

Yes I was just giving Justin a hard time about a Texan identifying the balloon photo. I was actually quite impressed!

If I had given my "photo identification challenge" much thought I would have realized that the "answering machine" would of course come up with the correct answer!

BTW my brother is now a Texan cwm30.gif !

Once a Texan, Always a Texans>

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Tech Support

This message has been edited by justin_tx_16 on 03-09-2002 at 02:01 PM

Dear Ed,

I'm glad we reached some mutual understanding, or an agreed area for dis-agreement.

The Mavica is by no means a replacement for the F-3. However, it is a good internet camera given a lot of technical trade offs and pricing.

Regards,

Gil

Hey Bill Gates (Justin) you don't need to slap your name on small thumbnails of pictures, it ruins them to look at. Those were excellent pictures, though! I would protect my large TIFF's or PSD's if I had some pictures like that.

I have Photoshop 6 and a 1.3 megapixcel Song DigCam, the pictures look like absolute CRAP on my 19" Viewsonic! The camera takes 1280 X 960's, but they are super compressed and are worthless for my 1280 X 1024 desktop background images. I want to get a Canon G2. It looks excellent. I am so desprate for pictures to manipulate, I scour the internet to find HUGE, raw picture files (I love those 10MB TIFF's!) I can play with! If I could shoot some 2048 X 1536 uncompressed images, I would be in hog heaven!

Justin and others: Have you seen the Nikon D100? I got a serious case of "techno lust" after looking at the SuperSize picture online! I don't know how much, but it will be expensive. IT IS NICE!!! However, I like Canon better than Nikon. I like Nikon bodies, but not their lenses. I think Canon lenses are much better and practicle than Nikon. Justin, I will take that 500mm Nikon lense off your hands if you want, its too big an dheavy for you to carry around Smile.gif!

I have not used a film camera in 2 years. I have 2 point and shoots, both nice, one with a Zeiss lens! I also have a nice Ricoh SLR with three, $200-$300 lenses that has not been out of its $100 bag in two years. I NEED to sell it, I bet I could get $400 for it in a week. There is over $1000 in gear inside the bag.

Mini Disc's DIED. Digital photography is here to stay (no $hit). I bet mass market film will be gone by the end of this decade. The whole Advanced Photo System (APS) film cameras were as about as effective as a rock being thrown at a tank, it was NOTHING!

Does anyone use the 512MB Compact Falsh cards? I can get them for $45 each (sorry, ME only, family memeber works for San Disk in San Jose) and I want to know if they are good or if there are problems before I pick a few up?

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

i put the watermark on them cause i saw some on some website and got quite angered.

the 500mm lens is really quite light and small, just really fat haha. it uses mirrors (and smoke? hehe) to magnify the image, and for sure requires a tripod, i don't care how steady your hands are haha.

i use the 320mb ibm drive, but that sounds intersting. did not know they were going to release that format so soon.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Tech Support

Kenratboy, I sure would like to experiment with one of those CF 512-MB cards. I use a one gigabyte IBM MicroDrive in a CF format in my Olympus E-20... and it has been a flawless performer. But the E-10 doesn't like micro-drives, so I have had a 192-MB card in the CF slot and a 128-MB card in the SM slot. I would like to get one or two of those 512-MB CF cards.

Your enjoyment of large digital photo files has long been shared been a source of enjoyment and occupied a lot of our high-tech time in the old think tank days when we built RIP's (Raster Image Processors) serviced by dual mini-super-computers. If you can remember, back about ten years, there were billboards across America featuring Ray Charles drinking a Pepsi. The Dallas company that was awarded the contract to produce the billboard art from the original won the contract because they had one of about a dozen machines in the U.S. with the power to process it.

Through a comedy of errors, the original digital photo file for that billboard was very large and had to be rendered at a size that choked their $800k wonder machine. In desperation, and with only two weeks left to meet their deadline with Pepsi's ad agency, they called us... they fulfilled their contract on time and our RIP development team got big bonuses!

I can create very large RAW or uncompressed TIFF format digital images in the 10-12.5 MB range. The raw files require special processing in their native Olympus format but the TIFF files provide such excellent results and are so easy to process with PhotoShop 6 (and above).

The 48-bit RAW mode (16-bits per color) or 2560 x 1920 uncompressed TIFF files provide a great starting point. One of the primary keys to digital photo clarity is heat management in the COD array. Olympus uses the entire aluminum frame as a heat sink for the 5.24 megapixel array. Heat induced artifact in digital photography is rarely discussed by reviewers but it is a much bigger factor than most consumers or pros realize. It is the "feet of clay" aspect of digital photography that most manufacturers would rather not talk about.

It is a primary reason that I am shooting with high-end Olympus rather than my old friends Nikon & Canon. Actually, I was lured away from Nikon by high-end Canon lenses... that and a consulting contract from Japan Wink.gif. The E-20 4x lens (35-140mm, ED Aspherical Glass Elements) proven itself to me as have the auxiliary lenses (28mm, 200mm, 420mm, and f=35mm Macro). to go beyond I can get 8000ths/second shots at 5 MP interlaced or 18000ths/second shots at 2.5 MP progressive.

The sound that reaches the theater of your mind after all things (source, equip.., room, etc.) are considered is what really counts. Digital photography is the same... only it uses eyes instead of ears. Eyes.gif Hmm, we have eye smilies on this Forum but the Ears are suspect cwm5.gif

Perhaps I can create a couple of high res photos for you to play with. I am considering coming out of retirement and putting in a small facility in either Reno or Las Vegas to handle product distribution and storage. I like the small corporation friendliness of Nevada law. It's been awhile since I have been to Reno, your comments would be welcome.

Let me know what kind of photo subjects you like. You can reach me by email at eddennis@msn.com banging away on new projects to the sound of Klipsch. -HornEd

Smash.gif

PS: I have a secret desire to photograph the works of mndeneen, fini, and C&S to share with the Forum.

This message has been edited by HornEd on 03-10-2002 at 09:58 AM

HornEd, I would love to get big files from you, but my 56K is a dog and it takes me over an hour (up to 2 hours!) to download a 10MB file! I will be moving soon, and that means:

BROADBAND!!!

It just amazing what has happened to photography in the last 5 years. Now, everytime you take a picture, its scanned! One of these days, I need to turn about 1000 pictures and negitives into digital images. I need to get a negitive scanner, but I have a flatbed scanner for photos.

I also need to turn ~30 hours of Hi-8 video into DVD/digital for storage. I shot a lot of video while I lived in England and Australia and DO NOT want it to fade to nothingness for age. I will pay someone to do that...

What are you talking about with heat effecting the photos? I am interested?

I use Photoshop 6, what other pro photo programs are there?

Thanks!

P.S. I will write about Reno later, I need to get some work done right now.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!