posting pics

Deang

I use PhotoShop 6 and Jasc 7.2 and PhotoShop Deluxe (not too shabby! LoL) and some other one i used to use was called.. Gilp? Wlid... can't remember, it was SUPER DOOPER fast, but difficult to use at first, but free and chock full of effects. looked like a linux interface, and was open source. Glip... dang, can't remember, anyone know what i am talking about?

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Tech Support

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe you are referring to "Gimp" which is available as freeware. As you mention it is a very fast and full featured program but really is not a lot of use to the casual graphics user.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

I have used the GIMP, it works great. If your poor or don't have the guts to get a copy of Photoshop from a friend/business colleague (aka, me) the GIMP is a good way to save $600. Photoshop is as refined as AutoCAD (you dis it, you DIE!!! Smile.gif) and it is better than the GIMP is you don't have to worry about buying it Smile.gif.

Microsoft Picture It is a fabulous program if you need to do simple stuff like adjust comtrast, brightness, etc. Make collages, posters, etc. I gave it to some semi-computer illeritate people and they were back the next day with some very good work from the program. Its only $40, so its cheap and does EVERYTHING a beginner, and even an intermediate photographer would need to do.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Thanks, I pulled the trigger on it this afternoon with my Olympus Camedia C-3000 in the TIFF mode when I heard the discussion about cameras. I didn't dl it to my HD or do any enhancements on it till this evening when I had more time. Unfortunately I had to drop the resolution for the upload to the Klipsch servers. It is REALLY stunning on my 18" Samsung Active-TFT display in full rez. If anyone is interested in a nice dig cam...give this one a try, it will not disappoint! 3.3 megs and all I used is the fairly simple editing software bundled with it. The color is true for most shots except anything that leans heavily towards anything CMY since everything internal is done RGB.

yes yes GIMP is the name, and takes a while to learn it not for a novice is the game Smile.gif hehe.

great picture of the tulip. i am going to find my personaly IBM 320 drive and upload some pics from that, i have some great ones Smile.gif

use marua.com for hosting your pictures, no restrictions on where youuse them like geocities, you can post the address and boom, they pop up. that is what i use, 30mb of free space, now size limit and super fast servers... oh yeah, it is free.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Tech Support

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

Justin, I just checked marua.com per your suggestion and they seem to be having some difficulties... with former users bailing to other servers... only the anime server seems to be working right. Which marua do you use?

I am considering setting something up at http://www.100megswebhosting.com/ as a low cost alternative that may stay functional longer. So far I have had more hassle with the free servers than my time is worth.

If I must got to the dogs... I would appreciate leads to any pointers & retrievers you can send to replace the setters that rollover and play dead. cwm36.gif -HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 03-11-2002 at 10:29 AM

Regarding the higher capacity compact flash cards...Does anyone know if the 256/512 cards can be used in a camera where the camera's specs only show storage capacities up to 128? For example, the specs for the Canon S30 show capacities up to 128mb CF and 340mb Microdrive, but nothing for 256/512. Does that mean that the camera doesn't support them, or just that they weren't very prevalent at the time the camera's specs were put together (probably summer of '01)?

Doug

------------------

My System

Doug, the chances are that if your camera allows that range of SM and CF cards, then you can use the higher ranges. Some cameras couldn't handle the IBM microdrives but the later editions of the same brand tend to adapt to IBM's "slight-of-hand" with the CF standard. Early digital offerings by some brands also did not anticipate the growth curve of capacities in the SM cards.

Again, at the capacities you are indicating, most industry engineers got the idea that higher capacities were not far behind. Odd are in your favor. I am now able to run 512 SM and 1 Gig CF Micro-Drives with no problems... even though the manual doesn't specify them on my latest model SLR. Also, the little photo op Olympus c-3030z in the car takes 128 mb SM with no problems... even though it came with a 16 mb card when first introduced.

Bigger cards and bigger batteries make better consumer cameras a joyful experience. Hope yours is! cwm18.gif -HornEd

well what i use is Geekhost.com, they asked me what name i wanted and marua.com sounded less geeky than geekhost, there are three different ones. i have absolutely no problems with them, my favorite so far, except they lack FTP Frown.gif

if you did not know, i have a website for people with promedia's that need help, imagine that, me making a promedia website, who'd a thunk? hehe. http://www.soundwise.n2v.net/ i have gone through SOOO many free services, at this point i have decided to just pay. I will get 100mb of space for a whopping $1 a month with FTP. Now, if you would like this, the address it lotsui.com and it really is great. tonight i am going to move my site there, right now there are lots of broken images and whatnot, ran out of space onthe other host.

if you go to a server than can do FTP, which i highly suggest, get a program called Smart FTP, there are ppl who say CuteFTP and the rest are the best, but take it from me, the best free FTP software program is SmartFTP, hands down.

If you ever need a large file or picture hosted, just let me know, i will have plenty of space on my lotsui account and once i get the guts to get a dedicated domain, i will have like 300mb of space, just let me know Smile.gif

what would be a good name for this site? i know it is OT but is soundwise too worn out? there is allready soundwise.com and .net, but i like it Smile.gif i was also thinking soundaudio, soundsupport, or whatever,kinda trying to make a pun, which i know you guys are great at haha Smile.gif

yeah, i use marua no problems (also geekhost and they only allow like 5 members a day to join) and soon my site will be hosted by LotSui. And use SmartFTP if you can.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Tech Support

Doug, the short answer is that when the CF format was first introduced, the cards were a little over 3mm thick and the current cards (like the IBM MicroDrive) are about 5mm thick. Earlier cards can work in the fatter slots... but not the reverse. Just about anything recent will be Type II.

One caution about using CF cards with the later Windows operating system... most photo applications are based on 16-bit processing and formatting CF cards with your Windows PC will likely be a non-compatible 32-bit format. I always find it best to format them in the camera as needed.

cwm40.gif CF cards have a lot of uses, tell your friend to look at http://www.compactflash.org/ for a whole bevy of them.

I use both because my camera has slots for both and I can transfer data between them. Thus, I use the larger capacity CF MicroDrive to capture the photo and transfer the ones I know to be keepers to the smaller SM card for priority processing. At an event, it is not unusual for me to shoot over 500 photos a day... so a little organization helps. -HornEd or should that be FocusEd? cwm35.gif

PS: As I re-read this post, a point of clarification is needed. On large events I use more than one camera and usually have an assistant photographer along.

Further, some photo ops require multiple bursts to better catch a fleeting expression or point of contact. Thus, many photos are taken but only the best are transferred from CF MicroDrive to an SM card which is then transferred to a laptop. Field photos are then burned into Event CD's (via firewire to high speed Sony CDRW in the motorhome). Most digital cameras to not have internal processing speeds fast enough for this kind of photography.

Long telephoto shots are made with a solid pro tripod with a fluid pan head using a shutter release cable for maximum "camera-shake-free" clairity. In this era of automated cameras... camera shake is a leading cause of unfixable photos.

This message has been edited by HornEd on 03-12-2002 at 07:09 AM

i am at our studio right now, gonna post some pics of the setup here Smile.gif it is pretty nice, though teh plasma tv is on teh road right now Frown.gif in Georgia haha.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

i lost my password to my marua account so i can not post but 6 pics of the studio :( when i get home wehre the password is, i will finish :)

here goes!

DSC01302.JPG

DSC01303.JPG

DSC01306.JPG

DSC01330copy.jpg

DSC01334.JPG

DSC01363.JPG

that is just a little bit of the studio... what do you think?

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

Wow, Justin! Does that look great...

Brings back memories of our photo and video studios in the InfoMart in Dallas and just North of the DFW Airport in Irving. We had some Nikon and Contax (for the Carl Zeiss lenses) 35mm equipment... but most of our work was in medium format using Carl Zeiss lenses with Hasselblads.

The video layout was very similar to ours. You bring back a lot of good old memories. Thanks for the post! Our main showroom floor in the InfoMart featured Klipsch pro speakers fed by MacIntosh gear. -HornEd

when i get home, in about an hour or less, i will post the pics of teh AVID system and some more of the studio... did not have the key to teh recording studio part of the studio though Frown.gif i am gonna bring home my SONY CyberSHot 4.1... i thought i lost it in the move but i really just left it at the studio haha.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

quote:

Originally posted by fini:

WAY too many toys in your toy box. You
must
share with the other children!

fini

just wait for the DAT recorders, BetaCams, AVIDs and then some

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

too many to post so...

http://www.marua.com/klipschter/studio/

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support