KG 3.5/R-3650-W mod

Thaddeus Smith

So I'm doing some speaker switching and found myself with a pair of in-walls (which were my fronts) and no longer have a wall to use them in. I've also been listening to my kg 3.5's (which were my rears) a lot in 2-channel mode over the last week and have come to the conclusion that i don't really like them. the bass response is nice, but the horns are quite shrill at loud levels.

Last night I tried to build boxes ..b/c, you know, I took wood shop in high school. epic fail. i went inside to sulk a bit and drink some shiner. and then i had an epiphany ..ran a few quick measurements and lo-and-behold, the KG 3.5's produce about 1.6 cubic feet in volume, which is what I need for my in-walls. The woofers are smaller, but the tweeters are so much smoother ..the box has a port, but that's easily plugged ..and best of all, it's wide enough to fit the mounting frame.

a little jig saw work, some caulk, internal re-wire, and some paint ..and I now have the first pair of KG 3.5-R-3650-W's. I've yet to crank them to see what sort of bass response I get, but so far they are good and should serve perfectly as my surrounds..

surround.jpg

shiner bohemian black lager to be precise :P

next to the rf-5's ...they are far from impressive. but that's a limitation of the speaker, not the cabinet I put them in. They actually sound very much like they did in the wall, which is exactly what I was hoping for. as surrounds, they are superb. enough bass so as to not sound pitiful and great horns for the car crashes and action, without sound shrill. morgan, my wife, isn't too fond of the gigantic cabinets as surrounds so these may eventually be relegated to pc speaker status if/when i get RB or RS speakers.

all in all, worth the effort. :)