5 channel stereo mode / DVD Audio

montigue

I finally decided to buy a DVD audio CD since I recently upgraded my DVD player to DVD audio/ Pro scan. Today I went down and bought the eagles on a DVD audio disc from best buys. I like the fact that now I can take advantage of my new full range rear speakers (Klipsch 4.2's) with the 5 channel output you get from a DVD adio disc.

I was thinking, Is'nt DVD audio just about the same thing as 5 channel stereo? My receiver only has 3 channel stereo mode so I havent heard 5 channel stereo mode yet. But I bet its almost the same thing.

Has anybody compared them?

monty, you do have the new player connected analog to direct inputs of your receiver? or does your receiver have direct inputs?

dvd-audio uses a special format called meridian lossless packaging (mlp) which has to be decoded at the player & fed clear of a/d, d/a convertors & dsp. just wanted to make sure.

dvd-audio then uses the higher sampling & bit rates of say 96k/24 or 192/24 that from what i hear produces the real sound dif from regular cd or dvd w/ a digital connection. though my dts disks w/ a regular dvd video

player do run at sampling rates of around 75k.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 03-05-2002 at 08:06 PM

boa

I connected the six rca jacks from the DVD player to the amp(both have direct in and out for 6 channel play). Then set the amp to 6 channel direct mode. I then went into DVD audio setup and changed the settings to 6 channel analog.

Is this everything, or did I miss something.

It sounds like you have everything set up correct. As long as you have all of the analog cables hooked up correct;y and you are gong through your AVR's ext. input you shhould be set! I bought a DVD Audio Player last year. I have about 15 DVD Audio disc's and about 8 DTS CD's. There is a world of difference in the sound quality of the DVD-A over the DTS disc's. Keep in mind the DTS disc's sound very very good . As with any multi-cahnnel recording. If it's done right it will sound great, if not, well you know. Also I too have one of the Eagle Discs, Hotel California on DVD-A. The sound is excellent.

------------------

Denon AVR 3801

Onkyo M504 Power Amp driving the mains

Techenique A-10 DVD Audio/Video Player

Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/Dvd Player

Dish Network Dolby Digital Sat receiver

Klipsch La Scala ( Mains)

Klipsch RFC5 Center

Klipsch RSS6 Surround Side

Klipsch RSS .5 Back surround

Klipsch KSW 12 Subwoofer

Keith

IMO---5.1 is where it's at----the sound is awesome vs 2 channel---this new format is as exciting to me as HT--it's a real keeper and I believe particularily well suited for the Klipsch line---I use my side surrounds in the 5.1 mode--and it took a little getting use to, but not for long

Dave