Home Theater room size

The Dude

So just wanted to get your opinion on the size of my home theater I will be building in the future(mainly for a piece of mind now). But in the new house I could do a inclosed room no less then 19x12 could go up to 20x13(or I could go slightly deeper but that would take up room for the fooze ball table)., anyways with in that range. One question is how big of a screen. Thats all I have for now but just getting a little excited we will be moving in, in about a month. Thanks for any input.

duder

• Moderators

Congrats Duder! For what it's worth, my room is 13' wide x 19' deep with 10' ceilings. We had originally planned on building a custom home with a 15' x 25' room. Take a look at the photos of my build thread. The largest screen I could go with was a 103" in order to prevent my RF-83's from being flush up against the wall. I wanted to give them some breathing room although I wish I had a foot or two more. I don't think it would have been too large to go with a 110" though if my room was just a foot or two wider. The room is very comfortable but again, if I were to be able to build the room from scratch, I would have made it a few foot deeper because my rear wall is right up against the back row so the rear speakers are shooting over their heads. In order to give enough walking room, I had to put my risers along the left wall (if you were looking at the screen). Part of that was also because of where the double doors that entered the room.

So if I could offer any advice, I would personally make it slightly wider than 13' and slightly deeper than 19'. Hope that helps!

Are you looking at projectors or a flat screen (LCD/Plasma/LED)? Do you plan to use your Cornwalls (fairly wide) or a narrower profile speaker? Let us know and hopefully we can give you some opinions.

Definitely going projector, As for speakers was hoping to add to my heritage collection and get a pair of Khorns to use for my fronts and my Heresies for my surrounds and maybe something like the rs-62s but not for sure on the surround rears yet.

Youthman, I have checked out your build thread and you pics your theater is very nice. I appreciate the advice I think I can go deeper but in order for me to go wider I have to goto the other side of the room which would put a sliding glass door on one wall with a window as well, with a regular door on the opposite wall, then the entrance doors to the theater on the rear. I know what you mean about having the seats against the walls my old house was that way. I was once told not to go much bigger than 100" or so for the screen(but I dont remember why). I forgot to add that my room will only be 8' tall. If I go with Khorns It shouldn't be a problem pushing against the wall since thats were they need to be.

thanks for the help so far.

NIck

• Moderators

I measured my room and I can only fit up to a LaScala behind my false wall but that's because of how the cabinet is constructed. If you go with an AT (Acoustic Transparent) screen, you could go even larger and have the speakers behind the screen.

Are you looking at projectors or a flat screen (LCD/Plasma/LED)? Do you plan to use your Cornwalls (fairly wide) or a narrower profile speaker? Let us know and hopefully we can give you some opinions.

Definitely going projector, As for speakers was hoping to add to my heritage collection and get a pair of Khorns to use for my fronts and my Heresies for my surrounds and maybe something like the rs-62s but not for sure on the surround rears yet.

With Khorns, don't you want your room wider than it is deeper? I have 20 feet between mine. I sit in the sweet spot 10 feet from the front wall.

With Khorns, don't you want your room wider than it is deeper? I have 20 feet between mine. I sit in the sweet spot 10 feet from the front wall.

I have read that some were here on the forum, Maybe Khorns aren't the best thing to go for. I also thought I read were someone used Khorns in a theater room on short wall as well. Like Youthman said that he could only fit Lascalas behind his false walls, I guess if I am able to go with the Khorns my attentions weren't to build false walls so you could see them. I know that's not the proper way for theaters but then again this could be considered a multifunction room with a theater theme.

nick

Duder - I think you are making a very fine choice in choosing a projector. My family (and all of my kids' friends) love ours. I believe you will be somewhat limited in appropriate screen size choices when you consider Khorns in a 13ft wide room with a projector screen. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Khorns will extend out about 24 inches from each corner; therefore, you would have around 9 feet of wall space between the Khorns. You will not want to place to have the edges of your screen flush with the speakers; thus you will have a little over 8ft of useable space for your screen width(with borders). You will need to decide what aspect of screen you will want. If you watch almost all Blu-Ray/DVD's then I would probably go for a cinemascope screen (2.35:1) like Youthman. My family watches a mix of Blu-Rays and HD Sports and we went with a 16:9 format screen. I believe the max size 2:35:1 screen you could fit would be around 103" (depending on manufacturer). My guess is a 110" 16:9 screen would also fit nicely.

If you did decide to go with narrower profile speakers, I believe you could go with an even larger screen (i.e. 120" 16:9). Please note that these suggestions are assuming that you will bve going with a 1080P projector. I would head to the smaller end of the range if you were looking at a 720P.

Just for your reference, I am using a 120" 16:9 with seating at around 14' and 20' (of course the kids sit much closer, but that is overwhelming to me).

Thanks for your reply Cpt_John I will take this into consideration. After thinking about what Psg said about his sweet spot, that would put mine at about 6-7' which seems like I would be to close to the screen for optimal sound. So It is possible to look at different speakers, but I still have about a year of research to do so that gives me plenty of time to get some more opinions on that.

I do know after reading Youthman's home theater build thread I have found some easier cheaper ways to do things like lighting. Another thing I was looking into was the sub woofer which might end up in the sub woofer thread. But for a stage I was thinking something along the lines of a stage line array like one of the ones I seen on the IB sub woofer site.

lots of planning and money for this project but will take time hopefully I will start framing by next summer.

thanks for all the suggestions

duder

Screen Size:

The best article I read on this tarted out by asking were do you set when go to see a movie?

Then Stated the obvious:

If you like it up front go big, the back. go smaller.

Then said but do the math from the theater and scale to your room and viewing distance.

Each person has maximum angle they can view with out having to move their eyes side to side. Find your max or biggest comfortable angle, determine how far away you will sit then a simple plug and chug the number and you have it.

I like to sit at the middle back of a theater, so an 80 inch screen at 8 feet viewing distance is the Max I like for 2.35 wide movies and 58 inch for 16:9 ratio, High Def Cable also at 8 feet seems to work for me - Only problem is have 52 inch LCD until the economy turns around or someone wants to get rid of a 3000 panny projector for less than a grand.

So I sit a little closer for sports and enjoy the movies the best I can until the projector comes along.